• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! Game Confirmed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that this hasn't inspired recreating the VN for the heroine, plus additional routes with the villainess as the protagonist. For all the otome isekais, I have yet to see an otome game that actually embraced the premise they lampoon.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Katarina's my favorite, so I'd rather play as her than Maria anyway. That being said, I do hope I can date Maria in this game. Maria/Katarina is my OTP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Katarina's my favorite, so I'd rather play as her than Maria anyway. That being said, I do hope I can date Maria in this game. Maria/Katarina is my OTP.

From what I heard you can only romance the male characters.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Literally un...aware of what the fans want. Though, since this is Katarina we're talking about, she should really only make people fall for her and never realize it.

Also, a pirate? What? I dunno if that fits the setting. Maybe it's like a Dread Pirate Roberts thing.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I know they aren't as in fashion as they used to be, but if any property deserved the proper Otome VN treatment, it was this one.
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

Kind of expected, but disappointing considering how the actual Harem dynamic is.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

The biggest appeal of Bakarina was that it was pretty much a Bisexual harem, where both male and female characters had romantic attraction towards Katarina. To just get rid of that in favor of a normal straight harem is just so stupid and makes any hype I had towards this game diminish.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:46 am Reply with quote
I want a bi harem goddammit!
Super_M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:15 am Reply with quote
Is this show really gay? Or typical shippers delusion, like they nice to each other so they must be gay?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:19 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:

The biggest appeal of Bakarina was that it was pretty much a Bisexual harem, where both male and female characters had romantic attraction towards Katarina. To just get rid of that in favor of a normal straight harem is just so stupid and makes any hype I had towards this game diminish.

Of course, if they gave both the guys and the girls Routes that would be seven Routes in total (which seems like a lot for one game), although it looks like we might get six here if it's the two original characters plus the main four boys.
Super_M wrote:
Is this show really gay? Or typical shippers delusion, like they nice to each other so they must be gay?

I mean, it becomes pretty clear that the intentions of her female friends (especially Mary) is less than platonic.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:

Not really. Even if Katarina herself may be straight (which I have doubts about) Maria and especially Mary are not. Sophia you could maybe make a case about, but that becomes muddled when it's revealed spoiler[that Sophia is Katarina's reincarnated best friend. ].
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
The first season of the anime ended with Maria dropping the exact line from "Fortune Lover" that declares her chosen love interest... to Katarina. Of course, since this is Bakarina we're talking about, she completely and utterly misses the point, but the audience is certainly supposed to get it.

It is, of course, a harem comedy, with most of the humor coming from Katarina's obliviousness, so whether any potential relationship will become official is anyone's guess. They'll drag that out as long as possible, at the very least. But it's not exactly subtle about her entire circle of friends having the hots for her. spoiler[Sophia being her best friend from her past life has no bearing on that; if anything, that flashback episode made the case even stronger. Though, as Sophia, she seems somewhat more interested in shipping Katarina with her brother.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1