• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Reveals 6 More Cast Members

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:21 pm Reply with quote
{Mod Edit}: Pointless troll post removed. ~ Psycho 101
Nionel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been following this adaption closely, but based on these new cast members, they appear to be adapting the Jupiter Jazz episodes
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Still no announcement for Ed? Are they making her apparence a surprise or something? They're announcing minor characters but not her...
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
So far - and I say this with all kindness and knowledge that the people making this show love the original and are doing their best to make a good product for us - it seems like the people casting this are maybe a little more concerned with making their cast progressive than with being the most accurate to the show. Which is fine, to an extent. I do hope they don't mess with Ed too much, obviously her androgyny and her, let's say neurodivergency are both very attractive to the writers as things to possibly expand on and "confirm" about her character. I love Ed as she is as a character and she was someone that gave me a lot of inspiration as a kid. So I hope they don't change her too much or turn her into a symbol of some kind.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I had no faith in this from the get go, but this seems to be confirming that.

I’m still kind of glad it’s Bebop and not Outlaw Star, since I expect this to just be boring and badly acted, while that would have been an utter trainwreck.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Unless I'm missing something - I'm not seeing any casting for Ein, seriously? This could be very good or it could be an absolute disaster. Altered Carbon was pretty good - but they seriously kneecapped the second season when they slashed the budget - if that same thing is going on here - I'm not too optimistic; and if they leave out Ein - it's going to be a hard sell to get me to watch.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I know anime characters live in a sort of limbo space when it comes to real life analogues but these people don't even come close.

Like if you had told me Tamara Tunie was playing Coffee from the Mushroom Samba episode i'd have said that's a fine choice but not Ana.

I hope the information in this article is just wrong on an intentional misdirection otherwise this is going to be a trainwreck on par with DeathNote and ReBoot.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
Unless I'm missing something - I'm not seeing any casting for Ein, seriously? This could be very good or it could be an absolute disaster. Altered Carbon was pretty good - but they seriously kneecapped the second season when they slashed the budget - if that same thing is going on here - I'm not too optimistic; and if they leave out Ein - it's going to be a hard sell to get me to watch.

In the interest of fairness Ein wasn't terribly important after his debut episode.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
InimitableUman wrote:
So far - and I say this with all kindness and knowledge that the people making this show love the original and are doing their best to make a good product for us - it seems like the people casting this are maybe a little more concerned with making their cast progressive than with being the most accurate to the show. Which is fine, to an extent

I think it's safe to say almost every Hollywood adaption focuses more on being "socially conscious" than accurate. I mean, we've known Faye and Jet had been racebent for ages now.

Quote:
I do hope they don't mess with Ed too much, obviously her androgyny and her, let's say neurodivergency are both very attractive to the writers as things to possibly expand on and "confirm" about her character. I love Ed as she is as a character and she was someone that gave me a lot of inspiration as a kid. So I hope they don't change her too much or turn her into a symbol of some kind.

Assuming she's even in this version - she's a very likely character to be cut just because her whole character is pretty 'anime' and wouldn't mesh with a serious American live-action adaption unless they turn her into that stoic, emotionless genius kid archetype.

joeydoa wrote:
Unless I'm missing something - I'm not seeing any casting for Ein, seriously? This could be very good or it could be an absolute disaster.

Ein was revealed awhile ago. He's still a corgi. At least according to some behind-the-scene photos that were shown awhile ago.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the interest of fairness Ein wasn't terribly important after his debut episode.

It not necessarily what he does, but it's his presence as part of the crew. Like my two cats, they don't do anything in terms of getting my chores done each day - it's their presence that lights everything up.

Quote:
Ein was revealed awhile ago. He's still a corgi. At least according to some behind-the-scene photos that were shown awhile ago.

Outstanding, that is good news indeed. A little bit of my faith has been restored in this production.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:19 pm Reply with quote
So is Ed just not gonna be in this? Sad
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
So is Ed just not gonna be in this? Sad

Dunno, but I really thought her casting would have been announced in this press release. Disappointing.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Re Ed;

Its possible that Ed might not be included in S1 with them focusing on Jet, Spike and Faye and all that baggage that comes with those three. Potential S2 member?

I don't see it being a 1:1 adaption so its possible things could be shuffled.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Or Ed could just be CGI.
Because that's a thing.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Or Ed could just be CGI.
Because that's a thing.

That would seem pretty pointless, though a CGI Ein would make a bit more sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2