• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Scramble Spirits

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Not that TGA means anything significant, but I’m already prepared for FFVII: Remake to get snubbed in every category except for music.

Personally, it is my GOTY, and a lot of credit should be given to it for A. Existing & B. Being as great as it is even if not perfect and the ending being controversial for some.

Also willing to be that KOF XV will NOT be a WORLD PREMIERE.

That said, I’m holding out hope for something to get me excited.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Not that TGA means anything significant, but I’m already prepared for FFVII: Remake to get snubbed in every category except for music.

That's the problem with all awards, let's be honest. TGA is especially bad because it's basically a press release show disguised as an award show where they advertise upcoming products and games for you to buy. They'll do whatever they can to draw in views to maximize the advertising potential, and making people mad is an easy way to get attention.

Overall, I agree. FF7 is my game of the year. Animal Crossing was definitely loved and popular, but I was never really into that franchise so I have no real interest in it. Ghost of Tsushima was fun, but nothing especially unique to me coming off of other samurai games like Nioh or Sekiro. Doom Eternal was fun, but a bit mindless, which is okay since that's what Doom is supposed to be. I have no idea what Hades is aside form a new Diablo-esque indie game, and the less said about TLOU2 the better. I initially wasn't looking forward to FF7, but after finding out it was spoiler[ a sequel, not a remake] it changed my view on the whole game and I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing more now.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:

Personally, it is my GOTY, and a lot of credit should be given to it for A. Existing & B. Being as great as it is even if not perfect and the ending being controversial for some.

I was under the pretense splitting the game into separate parts was the most controversial aspect of all.

Also looking at the categories, I really don't see it losing best roleplaying game.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:00 am Reply with quote
Out of interest, Half-Life: Alyx is tied for best-reviewed game of 2020 but didn’t get a nomination.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:46 am Reply with quote
Well, the game I played most this year was definitely Animal Crossing, so I guess that gets my vote? Been pretty lax about actually playing games this year, though, so it's not like AC had much competition.

As for the TWEWY (non)announcement. Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. The last time I was mildly excited, and it turned out to be an iOS/android port. I'm also one of those people who think that TWEWY is completely fine as a stand-alone -- and I'd honestly be kind of wary of any sequel not matching up to the original anyhow.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:

That's the problem with all awards, let's be honest. TGA is especially bad because it's basically a press release show disguised as an award show where they advertise upcoming products and games for you to buy. They'll do whatever they can to draw in views to maximize the advertising potential, and making people mad is an easy way to get attention.

Agreed. For many people, the only reason they watch is to catch the trailers for new games. Awards shows are no strangers to advertising in general, but taking time to specifically peddle games that aren't out yet tends to blur the line on what the real purpose is.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and making people mad is an easy way to get attention.

Yet still no Death Stranding GOTY ;(.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Such a hard choice for me to pick between both FF7 Remake or Doom Eternal. Love them both.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1