• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Goblin Slayer: The Endless Revenge Smartphone Game Ends Service After 1 Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:52 am Reply with quote
So what part of it was endless? Anime hyper
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:51 am Reply with quote
...who ever needed Goblin Slayer mobile game at the first place?
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:44 am Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

Every popular series gets a mobile game these days. They are like STDs.
MisaoFan
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:01 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

And the mobage industry is becoming highly insaturated nowadays (but especially in Eastern countries like Japan), on average few of such games last for 5 years, let alone 10.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:56 am Reply with quote
If there is not going to be some sort of longevity to these games, it makes it hard to want to get involved with them.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:21 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If there is not going to be some sort of longevity to these games, it makes it hard to want to get involved with them.

Agreed. I generally steer clear of mobile games because I'd much rather play on a computer or TV with a nice big screen rather than fool around with a small one. Sometimes I come across games that sound appealing but this sort of cancellation makes me steer 100% clear. Didn't we recently hear about Magia Record stopping service as well? I like to go back and play old games again. I can do that with consoles and PC games. It cannot be done here so I'm not going to even start.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
stop.making.gacha.for.every.anime
dcmc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Didn't we recently hear about Magia Record stopping service as well?

for english ver
,japan ver still works as usual.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
MisaoFan wrote:
on average few of such games last for 5 years, let alone 10.

Only ones i know of that survived that long is FFBE and FGO.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
stop.making.gacha.for.every.anime

But are gacha games based off of anime that are adapted from light novels fair game?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
MisaoFan wrote:
on average few of such games last for 5 years, let alone 10.

Only ones i know of that survived that long is FFBE and FGO.

Don't forget the absolute beast that is Love Live.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

I know they do, the question is- do we, as buyers/players/watchers/readers really NEED a mobile games based off every single anime? Do we have time to play Bleach, OPM, Fate etc etc? The answer is... no, we don't. And I'm not telling that because I'm some sort of Goblin Slayer's hater, it's just "not EVERY series has to get a mobile game". There are too many already. It's like making a movie based on a videogame- it's almost certainly going to be pretty mediocre. I am pretty sure Monster Hunter, which has a very large fanbase, is going to flop hard.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:
I know they do, the question is- do we, as buyers/players/watchers/readers really NEED a mobile games based off every single anime? Do we have time to play Bleach, OPM, Fate etc etc? The answer is... no, we don't. And I'm not telling that because I'm some sort of Goblin Slayer's hater, it's just "not EVERY series has to get a mobile game". There are too many already. It's like making a movie based on a videogame- it's almost certainly going to be pretty mediocre. I am pretty sure Monster Hunter, which has a very large fanbase, is going to flop hard.

Some people just want games based on their favorite anime to play. That's all. Prior to gacha/mobile, we got stuff like the Full Metal Alchemist PSP games, or the Yu Yu Hakusho Sega Genesis games, or the Golgo 13 NES game. Game tie-ins have always existed, it's just these days they get shoved onto mobile devices rather than consoles because it's cheaper to develop for, appeals to more people than just gamers,, and can make more money. for them in the long run through mrcotransactions.

I do miss the days of anime getting console games. There was some genuinely good ones, and even the low quality ones at least could offer some simple fun to fans of the series, and at least they all still exist to this day and are playable since they're not tied to mobile. But the only ones that do anymore are the really mainstream ones, mainly ones that can be turned into fighting games like WSJ titles.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind anime tie-ins and fans of a series will like tie-ins. But without something you can keep from it, (like digital images, digital videos, and digital cards as examples), your going to lose a lot of customers. Except for the very BIG names, they don't seem to last very long at all.

I am probably biased as a PC gamer, so that is another strike against just playing ephemeral anime mobile games for me.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know they do, the question is- do we, as buyers/players/watchers/readers really NEED a mobile games based off every single anime?
I mean no one really needs any of the anime related content we have. Most of it is disposable pop culture entertainment that no one really NEEDS. We didn’t need Goblin Slayer to exist when there are tons of other dark fantasy anime out there but it does. These anime mobile tie in games don’t exist to be enjoyed long term by hardcore gamers. They’re just elaborate commercials to help raise awareness of the title they were created for particularly in Japan where gacha games have a bigger fanbase than in the West.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2