• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: According to Poll, Japanese Kids Admire Tanjirō More Than Their Parents

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised by how many kids as young as third grade are into Kimetsu no Yaiba considering how violent it can get...but then again, Japan seems to have a more lenient stance on violence in media compared to North America.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
So kids watch KnY in Japan (isn't it aired at late night while most kids are sleeping?) but in the West there's an age restriction if I correct. On Wakanim KnY is "16+". Confused
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
I'm surprised by how many kids as young as third grade are into Kimetsu no Yaiba considering how violent it can get...but then again, Japan seems to have a more lenient stance on violence in media compared to North America.

That applies more to manga as well as anime (as long as it's late night or the BPO will complain), but not video games, you can decapitations in late night anime and manga but it's banned in even Z rated games.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:20 pm Reply with quote
At least they picked a good role model.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say Tanjiro is probably the nicest MC ever next to Vash and Allen Walker. I would include Kenshin but his actions in the past....
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
So kids watch KnY in Japan (isn't it aired at late night while most kids are sleeping?) but in the West there's an age restriction if I correct. On Wakanim KnY is "16+". Confused

And over half of its episodes on [as] were TV-MA, with the violence rating to boot.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Gotta say Tanjiro is probably the nicest MC ever next to Vash and Allen Walker. I would include Kenshin but his actions in the past....

....Vash vaporized a whole town full of people...accidentally yes but if that's the metric for excluding Kenshin by that same token Vash should be stricken from that list too based on that reasoning.
MugenPancake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Now that's just sad lol...
Slashman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
MugenPancake wrote:

It really is...
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:

The Kimetsu no Yaiba manga was a Jump title, and Jump means that it's demographics start from elementary school kids in Japan.

Yes, you could say that there's a bit too much gore and blood for children, but the same argument could go for other successful Jump titles as well.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:26 am Reply with quote
I'm sorta sad that 'my teacher' ranked higher than 'my dad'.
tomdean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:07 am Reply with quote
MugenPancake wrote:

Well, considering more children in the west who think footballers are better role models than their own dads, Tanjiro really isn't that bad...
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:14 am Reply with quote
MugenPancake wrote:

Truly sad that kids look up to a responsible and kind role model.
Oggers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote
MasterGhost wrote:
The Kimetsu no Yaiba manga was a Jump title, and Jump means that it's demographics start from elementary school kids in Japan.

I'm pretty sure the shonen demographic is supposed to be 12-18 year old boys, though. So Shonen Jump titles aren't necessarily aimed at children, more towards teens and preteens.

That said, I know that hasn't stopped kids younger than that age range from reading Jump anyway.
Uchay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
I mean, as far as role model choices go, Tanjiro isn't bad at all. His most notable traits are being kind, responsible and dependable, especially to his younger sinblings. He feels compassion even for the bad guys!

It's interesting that Shinobu is on third place, though, since she's has rather sadistic tendencies lol. I guess she does have a combination of being mature and laid-back, spoiler[even if her laid back persona is just a mask...]

As for "my dad" being on 5th, that's easy to explain. I'm not sure on today's Japan, but the whole "salaryman" culture and the need for undertaking extra hour could explain that, at least in part. It's really hard to aspire to be like your dad when you barely know or see him.

Most likely, the majority of those kids probably see and know their teachers a lot more than their dads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2