• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Streaming Issues?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Since Wednesday, none of the currently airing Funi shows have subtitles on my computer. I went to their FAQ section and there is a banner across the top saying:

Quote:
We are aware some fans are experiencing issues watching videos. We are working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

I'm just wondering... are there any other Funi subscribers out there having the same problem I am or any other issue?

It really cheeses me that Funi can't seem to get a handle on this quickly. How difficult is it to make sure there are subtitles on your shows? Honestly, I wish they'd just close down their streams and let other services that are obviously way more technically competent take care of it. This is stupid.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not having this problem, but I'm also in the United States, and Funi not working internationally is kind of fitting for them. It also may be for specific shows, since Funi failing to add subtitles on some shows was kind of a theme at the beginning of this season
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I would love to know if this issue is geographically based or not. Funi is helpfully providing zero information. Nothing on their Facebook, nothing on their Twitter. Competence at its finest.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I've had this issue specifically when using Safari since Mac pushed the Safari 14.0 update in September. (I'm in the U.S., for the record.) I sent in a support request, and after a bunch of back and forth with their staff where they asked me a list of standard error questions (including silly ones like if the episode I was having trouble seeing the subtitles for was a subbed or dubbed episode), they said they'd forward it to the Development Team and I've had radio silence for nearly 2 months.

I've been able to get the subtitles to work on Firefox. I haven't tried Chrome. I've heard of people using the apps for non-computer devices having similar issues, but I don't use those so it's only hear-say. Maybe try switching to different browsers/devices?

Of course, it's ridiculous that you'd have to do that, but it might be faster than trying to get Funimation to get their website working.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm way ahead of you. No joy with Safari, Chrome or Firefox. Thank god there are still some non-legit aggregators around or I'd be screwed. Thanks for letting me know about your issue, though. I feel a little less lonely.

Well, finally got off my lazy butt and sent an email to Funi explaining the sitch. Let's see if they can fix it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:27 am Reply with quote
Sorry for bumping my own thread, folks, but Funi's customer service is so atrocious, I want people to see this, especially those who may be considering subscribing.

So I sent an email to their tech department a week ago today outlining the issues above. I got an automatic response back from them so I know the email was received. Since then? Not a peep. This is not a company that should be streaming videos. They can't provide subtitles to me (and God knows how many others) and they can't get back to me in a professional timeline. Utterly useless.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a user of Funimation but when I first loaded an episode from their site, no subtitles appeared. I managed to get it to show by clicking the CC option on the bottom right and selecting the "English" option. It doesn't look like their subtitling text (changing colors, transparency, etc.) option works at all though.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
On my Roku device the subtitles lag the video by a good five seconds or so. This began fairly recently and seems to be true no matter the show. Now I have to watch Funi shows on the PC connected to the same TV.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Holy crud, EmbraceMe, you just solved the issue! I went to a random video, selected the gear icon on the bottom right of the screen and selected Subtitles -> English and there they were! I have no idea how that got unselected in the first place, but that was the issue. I checked another video and didn't have to repeat the process. THANK YOU!!!

You accomplished what Funi's crack tech team couldn't!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:26 am Reply with quote
The Funimation site just cannot stop sucking. I got my subtitle issue fixed thanks to EmbraceMe above, but this morning, I can't play any Funi vieeo becasuse they are all frozen for me. Unbelievable. Sure glad these technical wizards have purchased Crunchyroll.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Crunchyroll app on my Roku device often fails to load or falls over with a screen saying something like "technical difficulties." I have to watch both services via PC even though the Roku is much more convenient to use.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
they were doing some maintenance this morning. might have been why you couldn't play anything
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Whatever the issue was, it's cleared up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1