• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - How CG Lupin Stole the Show

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikarisama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I was fortunate enough to be able to watch this in the theater twice, and even more so my local theater as normally I have to drive 90 minutes each way to watch most anime films. But since there was nothing else new to play, not only did the cinema in my small town show it but they played it for a week which was nice. Overall it was a great Lupin adventure and the the CGI was really well done. I look forward to watching it again when the Blu-Ray ships next month.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I was super-skeptical about this when it was announced, but one look at the trailer and they had me. The animators utterly nailed the frenetic, cartoony action that defines classic Lupin. Can't wait to see it.
KyokoBestMeguca

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I resent the comparison to Raiders of the Lost Arc. This movie is clearly the anime version of The Last Crusade. The main characters race against the Nazis to use a diary written in a dead language to find a powerful treasure hidden in the desert guarded by dangerous traps, one of which is spoiler[ a hallway that kills you and another of which is a magic bridge over a void.] A couple of scenes are especially similar, like the plane chase.
I don't mean that in a bad way though. I love both of these movies.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
This is how CG Anime should be made, as 3D characters, not that awful pseudo-2D look.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Nope.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

If you're going to do CG, don't make it cartoony. This is unwatchable. It's Iike watching plastic toys---that aren't supposed to be toys---come to life, which is very, very disturbing.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
MrSatyre wrote:
Nope.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

If you're going to do CG, don't make it cartoony. This is unwatchable. It's Iike watching plastic toys---that aren't supposed to be toys---come to life, which is very, very disturbing.

Uhhhhh that is how your supposed to do CG cartoons. Very stylized and cartoony designs work best in CG because too realistic would wind up in the uncanny valley.

Its why Toy Story was so successful back then. The fact the characters literally were plastic toys made them perfect to animate in CG.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is the exact way you're supposed to do CG. The usual anime method of "let's have these super-detailed character models that move like marionettes" looks mediocre at best and terrible at worst (hi Berserk!), and that's usually compounded by directors still using limited framerate like it's 2D animation, either because they don't understand the medium they're working with or because the production is too cheap to afford any better. Pretty much the only studio that I trust to make TV-budget CG look good is Orange. In contrast, this is full fluid squash-and-stretch honest-to-God animation, and it looks fantastic.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This is how CG Anime should be made, as 3D characters, not that awful pseudo-2D look.

I warmed up to the idea of a CG movie pretty fast once I saw they were making full use of it. I'm not a big fan using CG for a whole production only for it to mimic 2D. At that point, why not draw it, especially since the characters tend to look janky compared to 2D.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I was never particularly engaged by Lupin outside of Castle of Cagliostro (my first, so it sort-of set my expectations).

But "new Lupin", starting around A woman called Fujiko Mine opened my eyes, and I'm always ready for more of it. This looks great. If not for the pandemic, I'd have seen it in the theater, and I can't wait for the home video release to come out in a couple of weeks.

The trailer looks great, and I'm glad to hear that it's not just the trailer that looks great.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

Its why Toy Story was so successful back then. The fact the characters literally were plastic toys made them perfect to animate in CG.

Which is funny since the original Toy Story's CG has aged the worst out of the four movies/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1