• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow Manga to End in 9th Volume

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:43 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna miss it Crying or Very sad Let's hope for the author's next work to be as good.
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:33 am Reply with quote
It's been falling apart for an age. The author had an idea about what they wanted to do perhaps but didn't execute it well. I would call the large breadth of the series experimental.

Obviously since it hinted at yuri and veered away sharply for a depression arc, people will care less about it. But it started out with so much promise. It's a shame it never turned into what was so strongly hinted at. A missed opportunity--unless the end surprises everybody, which based on my having kept up with it the whole time, I can't foresee.

I imagine they'll go to college separately and get married to strong men, like every other Japanese manga. Smile
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
TheArsonAut wrote:
It's been falling apart for an age. The author had an idea about what they wanted to do perhaps but didn't execute it well. I would call the large breadth of the series experimental.

Obviously since it hinted at yuri and veered away sharply for a depression arc, people will care less about it. But it started out with so much promise. It's a shame it never turned into what was so strongly hinted at. A missed opportunity--unless the end surprises everybody, which based on my having kept up with it the whole time, I can't foresee.

I imagine they'll go to college separately and get married to strong men, like every other Japanese manga. Smile
From what I've read its still very much yuri and is still very highly rated in the yurinavi general election so not sure what your talking about. Are you thinking of a different manga?
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
TheArsonAut wrote:

From what I've read its still very much yuri and is still very highly rated in the yurinavi general election so not sure what your talking about. Are you thinking of a different manga?

The author stated in a tweet that it wasn't a yuri. It started out quite yuri and has undershadings of yuri now, but there's been a long arc since then that was sort of...dark. Obviously I'd root for a yuri ending, but the chances seem kind of low.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:58 am Reply with quote
TheArsonAut wrote:
The author stated in a tweet that it wasn't a yuri. It started out quite yuri and has undershadings of yuri now, but there's been a long arc since then that was sort of...dark. Obviously I'd root for a yuri ending, but the chances seem kind of low.
Sorry but I still am unsure of where you are coming from. spoiler[This darkness are you referring to the fight (if you can call it that) they had? All it did in the end was bring them closer then before.] not sure if spoiler tag is really needed but will add anyway. Also I am aware its not defined as a yuri manga but I think the contents speak for themselves. If one of the characters was a boy no one would question its a romance manga. And I agree we wont get a concrete yuri ending. My guess is we get some ambiguous ending of them together in college. But its very common for manga/anime to have tons of subtext but nothing concrete so they can have a larger fan base. Throwing a random marriage at the end does not make sense to what the story has been trying to say over the past 8 volumes. Not only that but it would be a huge slap to the face for a many of their readers and this is a business.
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
TheArsonAut wrote:
Sorry but I still am unsure of where you are coming from. spoiler[This darkness are you referring to the fight (if you can call it that) they had? All it did in the end was bring them closer then before.] not sure if spoiler tag is really needed but will add anyway. Also I am aware its not defined as a yuri manga but I think the contents speak for themselves. If one of the characters was a boy no one would question its a romance manga. And I agree we wont get a concrete yuri ending. My guess is we get some ambiguous ending of them together in college. But its very common for manga/anime to have tons of subtext but nothing concrete so they can have a larger fan base. Throwing a random marriage at the end does not make sense to what the story has been trying to say over the past 8 volumes. Not only that but it would be a huge slap to the face for a many of their readers and this is a business.

"Not only that but it would be a huge slap to the face for a many of their readers and this is a business"? Um, I'll let you sit out on that branch. Laughing

So you don't want it to be explicit yuri, you like it as it is? Well good for you, I think it's pretty strange but whatever.

What do you think it has been trying to say in the last 8 volumes? I'm pretty sure it's a manga about social isolation/depression and stuff. The author has mentioned not doing well with city life and has mentioned relocating back to her hometown or something. I mean, I get it, it's kind of a depression manga with yuri undertones. It has strongly harkened to yuri while pulling back from that all the time. I'm not the first one to put pressure on the author, it's not the series that was sold to readers from the start.

But I appreciate her story now more after that "fight?" arc was completed. I don't know if it was a fight so much as it was one character totally not being able to communicate her feelings over and over again. But it was very deep. I'd never encountered anything like it before.

Obviously I'm a yuri fanboy so I felt betrayed somewhat. Honestly I find your reading of it quite peculiar.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
TheArsonAut wrote:
"Not only that but it would be a huge slap to the face for a many of their readers and this is a business"? Um, I'll let you sit out on that branch. Laughing

So you don't want it to be explicit yuri, you like it as it is? Well good for you, I think it's pretty strange but whatever.

What do you think it has been trying to say in the last 8 volumes? I'm pretty sure it's a manga about social isolation/depression and stuff. The author has mentioned not doing well with city life and has mentioned relocating back to her hometown or something. I mean, I get it, it's kind of a depression manga with yuri undertones. It has strongly harkened to yuri while pulling back from that all the time. I'm not the first one to put pressure on the author, it's not the series that was sold to readers from the start.

But I appreciate her story now more after that "fight?" arc was completed. I don't know if it was a fight so much as it was one character totally not being able to communicate her feelings over and over again. But it was very deep. I'd never encountered anything like it before.

Obviously I'm a yuri fanboy so I felt betrayed somewhat. Honestly I find your reading of it quite peculiar.
What I mean by it's a business is they wont piss off yuri fans or non yuri readers so we will get some neutral ending. As a yuri fan for many years I would love an explicit relationship but I've also come to appreciate subtext as a substitute. It's not like this is the first manga to do this I mean manga time kirara are the masters of it. And just recently the last episode of love live are you going to tell me just because it's not stated explicitly they aren't gay? Not sure I would call it a depression manga it's more of a coming of age story were two young girls are trying to figure out their emotions and how to express themselves. Dealing with feelings of loneliness is part of growing. The fight did go on longer then it needed to though I feel like the manga really only needed 8 volumes possibly 7.
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
TheArsonAut wrote:

What I mean by it's a business is they wont piss off yuri fans or non yuri readers so we will get some neutral ending. As a yuri fan for many years I would love an explicit relationship but I've also come to appreciate subtext as a substitute. It's not like this is the first manga to do this I mean manga time kirara are the masters of it. And just recently the last episode of love live are you going to tell me just because it's not stated explicitly they aren't gay? Not sure I would call it a depression manga it's more of a coming of age story were two young girls are trying to figure out their emotions and how to express themselves. Dealing with feelings of loneliness is part of growing. The fight did go on longer then it needed to though I feel like the manga really only needed 8 volumes possibly 7.

I dunno man, I think at this point we're grasping at straws to call them gay anymore. I feel like the author's emotions are coming through this manga and they are to do with themes of despair, depression, social isolation and overall sadness. The 'fight' arc was the darkest stuff I've read--emotionally--in a long time. I couldn't even compare it to anything.

I can't even think of a novel or anything to compare it to, it was definitely extremely different. I mean, yeah, I don't mind anymore since I know what the story is now. I think we jumped from 'girls growing up' in the first volume or so to...Konatsu Amano literally falling through the floor of her life into like a dark foggy bubble of self-isolation. Which it sounds kind of like the author has been experiencing, from people talking about her twitch streams and tweets and saying she's been dealing badly with city life. Which makes me feel bad for her.

I think overall it turned out to be a very original story. I wouldn't necessarily compare it to other, classical yuri. It's a sad yuri, but more likely just a sad coming of age story. And I would emphasize "extremely sad".

I guess it's going to end soon and I had all kinds of thoughts about how it could end. I always hoped Konatsu Amano (the red headed girl) would follow Koyuki to college eventually and they could live together. But...I don't know if the author is going to roll that way. Sounds like she's been having trouble with twitter (likely fan opinions and other yuri fanbois) so I'm not going to force my opinion on the series. It's a very original work and we'll just have to see how it goes.

It definitely didn't turn out how like I expected and it seems other fans felt the same. The new has almost no friends most of the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1