• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yoshiyuki Tomino Praises Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, But Describes Its Cultural Succes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Can animenewsnetwork rename these stories about Tomino's opinions about modern anime, THTs (Tomino Hot Takes)?

But in all serious, I think his argument about Demon Slayer is broadly correct. Luck from both a production and timing perspective really paid off. That shouldn't minimize the success of the story that many people connected with, but it is something that should be accounted for when considering the anime/manga success. How much weight you give these is, of course, subject to debate.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Only Tomino could seemingly praise something while also downplaying it's success. Saying his successes come from assembling the right/best people, while KnY's was due to luck or coincidence. I'd love to stop hearing this guy's opinions every time something big happens in the anime world. Like who cares that you were envious of this?
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I seriously don't see him downplaying anything here. The way he's describing how things came together for this series is something more akin to the stars aligning to create a miracle than dumbing it down to just dumb luck. For Tomino, actually giving praise and ADMITTING his envy has to be the highest praise he's capable of. It seems like he's acknowledging the fact that they did bring together a wide variety of people. Some people by chance, but even with that chance they were able to create something very popular and meaningful to a broad audience.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Who should we listen to? Yoshiyuki Tomino or Eiichiro Oda?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Who should we listen to? Yoshiyuki Tomino or Eiichiro Oda?

I’d listen to the guy who doesn’t arbitrarily make his characters evil because the voice actress wouldn’t sleep with him. In other words, listen to Mr. Oda! Lol
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Nothing he says is downplaying anything. It's a good point. He's saying the KnY's success as a an anime is largely timing and happenstance. I imagine how it must be to have all levels of production firing on all cylinders like that. For Tomino to admit he was envious is huge praise coming from him.
Slashman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Nothing he says is downplaying anything. It's a good point. He's saying the KnY's success as a an anime is largely timing and happenstance. I imagine how it must be to have all levels of production firing on all cylinders like that. For Tomino to admit he was envious is huge praise coming from him.

Why can't he just make his "huge praise" huge praise and be done?

It's like these guys got it right, but I don't like that they got it quite so right, so I'm gonna find something to say to make my "praise" into a downer.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I tend to think what Tomino says about modern anime is a load of shit, but I think he is right on this. It isn't often that a work can line everything up so well.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
This sort of luck isn't mere luck.
It's destiny. DESTINY.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
All great collective art is the confluence of many, seemingly-impossible coincidences. The right people, at the right time, with the right backing, the right vision, and the right limitations.

Honestly it's a miracle that any TV show, animation, movie, play, game, etc. can rise to the level of "great art."
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I have to give credit to Tomino for one thing: being big brain enough to earn small relevance boosts for himself here and there by more frequently commenting on popular titles amd topics of the moment, since he's clearly incapable of earning meaningful recognition through anything he's actually worked on himself in years.
YoshiChao

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:37 am Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
I have to give credit to Tomino for one thing: being big brain enough to earn small relevance boosts for himself here and there by more frequently commenting on popular titles amd topics of the moment, since he's clearly incapable of earning meaningful recognition through anything he's actually worked on himself in years.

I wish you didn't have such a username for posting such a trash take.

Tomino is someone that pioneered an entire genre back in the day even though the original work was basically cancelled in its production. He's been around for years in the anime scene and just because in the recent decade his time / focus has more or less come and gone, does not make him someone that earned "small relevance boosts here and there".

The man ain't as recognisable in the West as the likes of Miyazaki, but he's definitely up there if you consider just how important Gundam is to the anime scene and Japan culture to this day (they've made a 1:1 Gundam and are now working on one that can move you know)
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I’d listen to the guy who doesn’t arbitrarily make his characters evil because the voice actress wouldn’t sleep with him. In other words, listen to Mr. Oda! Lol

FYI, this is slander based on old 4chan rumors that were debunked ages ago, but left up on places like TVTropes for whatever reason. Seriously discouraging people still believe this stuff...
Sofia Ciel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

Is this about Maria Kawamura as Quess? One, I'm pretty sure this was debunked around the same time as any suggestions that he and Mamoru Nagano have some long-standing hatred of one another... Two, and here's the real hot take that is arguably off-topic, Quess isn't evil and people who look for that characterization are probably viewing Gundam from a childish viewpoint. The irony of that is palpable, given that "childish" is probably the word I'd choose for Quess's character. She's a damaged person, one who is easily manipulated emotionally because she's the sheltered rich kid looking for a father figure and a cause in life - but not evil. Yes, even though she's helping a terrorist who wants to drop a giant rock on Earth.

At any rate, it sounds like he's saying that the Demon Slayer crew trapped lightning in a bottle through timing - not that saying this means it's bad, just that they managed to get in at just the right time to make their adaptation stick in people's minds. The right timing for the story it's telling to be presented with such a high degree of quality, essentially, from its voice acting to sakuga to even LiSA's memorable opening theme. Any earlier or later and perhaps it would have ended up in the hands of a studio that would make it a functional adaptation at best, rather than a great one from the same people who made the Fate anime such an aesthetically pleasing franchise. Your Pierrots or Deens, or what have you.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Tomino has said a lot of silly things about modern anime in recent years but this time he's making a fair point that circumstances played a role in Demon Slayer's success as much as any inherent quality to the work which is a fairly non-controversial observation a lot of other people have made about the runaway success of Demon Slayer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2