• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Philippines' GMA Network Posts Teaser for Live-Action Voltes V Legacy Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:57 am Reply with quote
But will it inspire people to raise up against Rodrigo Duterte, like the original anime helped fuel the fire for the revolution against Ferdinand Marcos? Probably not.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:01 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
But will it inspire people to raise up against Rodrigo Duterte, like the original anime helped fuel the fire for the revolution against Ferdinand Marcos? Probably not.

Why make a cynical observation?
BenDTU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
My goodness this actually kind of looks amazing.
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote
Too bad, Philippines is still "behind" or "backward" when it comes to anime, just like their current police chief, who is a big fan of Voltes V.
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
Bayuro2.0 wrote:
Too bad, Philippines is still "behind" or "backward" when it comes to anime, just like their current police chief, who is a big fan of Voltes V.

...What the hell does that mean?
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
I mean that GMA station only provide old school animes to the Filipino viewers like Voltes V, Dragon Ball Z, Flame of Recca, Shaman King, Hunter X Hunter, One Piece etc. By chance, the Philippine National Police Chief Debold Sinas is a proud Voltes V otaku.

GMA station is still under the so called "Korean Wave" so they prefer to show the latest Korean dramas and when it comes to the latest animes, it's not their top priority.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
A country with an underdeveloped film and CG industry doing a show that traditionally is VERY hard to do without a huge budget (where you at Legendary Gundam film?) is a potential recipe for utter disaster.

That being said if it is a success I fully expect Netflix to license it for international distribution. I’d laugh if it ended up more popular than the awful awful American Voltron remake.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the trailer, the special effects look nice. Hopefully, the acting will be just as good.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

That being said if it is a success I fully expect Netflix to license it for international distribution. I’d laugh if it ended up more popular than the awful awful American Voltron remake.

That'd be hard to do - Netflix's Legendary Defender lasted 8 seasons and 76 episodes. Most anime don't even last half as long
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

That'd be hard to do - Netflix's Legendary Defender lasted 8 seasons and 76 episodes. Most anime don't even last half as long

It only got those episodes because they were ordered in advance. The show itself was a ratings and merchandising flop.
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Bayuro2.0 wrote:
I mean that GMA station only provide old school animes to the Filipino viewers like Voltes V, Dragon Ball Z, Flame of Recca, Shaman King, Hunter X Hunter, One Piece etc. By chance, the Philippine National Police Chief Debold Sinas is a proud Voltes V otaku.

GMA station is still under the so called "Korean Wave" so they prefer to show the latest Korean dramas and when it comes to the latest animes, it's not their top priority.

It's the Philippines, most people are proud Voltes V otaku. That's the reason this show even exists. That doesn't really say anything.

Also, most of the shows listed there were shown literally decades ago. Yeah most of the stuff shown is either local soaps or Korean dramas, but that's what sells and the Internet already exists at this point. Most anime fans have moved to the Internet for their watching. It's not 'behind', it's the 'present' situation.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It only got those episodes because they were ordered in advance. The show itself was a ratings and merchandising flop.

Seriously?

Nobody orders 8 seasons and 76 episodes in advance, and nobody would continue up to 8 seasons and 76 episodes if it's a flop
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Bayuro2.0 wrote:

It's the Philippines, most people are proud Voltes V otaku. That's the reason this show even exists. That doesn't really say anything.

Even my wife remembers Voltes V. So yeah, there is a lot of nostalgia there to tap into. Which is why GMA is doing this. Philippines also does a some fantasy and science fiction teleserye, which is why Voltes V Legacy is not really much of an outlier either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1