• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Log Horizon: Destruction of the Round Table

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:24 am Reply with quote
Great to see this series back and looking forward to seeing where it goes from here =)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm having a harder time getting back into this than I expected. Can't remember half the characters, and the politics are overwhelming me. The first two seasons kept me intrigued with the character development and strategies and drama, but so far I'm not feeling the characters at all, though Rudy was a bright spot.

Hopefully things will start moving now that the exposition is done (?) and I can start remembering who these people are. Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
It probably says something that I just finished rewatching season two and reading volume 11 of the light novels and found episode two off-puttingly political. The Krusty parts should start alleviating some of that when they begin to be put in, and I think if the focus shifts over to Shiroe and his merry band trying to figure out how to keep things from exploding, we'll be in better shape.

I'm most invested in seeing what happens to Reyneshia at this point - it's a real chance for her to show major growth.
PabloGarciaCoutino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
48 minutes of anime to state 2 events in an isekai, game, filled with 300 k gamers is moving it slower than a snail's pace. If you want to know the spoilers then read the log horizon column.

I understand that the light novel/web novel author has not written any new material and that season 3 is basically 2 volumes from his novel, but at the pace it's going no one is going to finish watching it.

I was surprised by the low 2 D animation and the lack luster music. Music has been a problem in the series, 42 songs, so much that it was part of one of the episodes in season 2. (Izuzu the bard makes songs for the NPC's)

I actually thought that because of the long series haitus, the author would have written new and never released content for this season 3's episodes.

Log Horizon is one of the best isekai-game-fantasy-anime in that it is filled with information about the game, strategy and skills related to the players. The anime is above average in that it adapts all of this information to try to make it game like. It used to be an awesome light novel /web novel series because of the adventures, action, etc. I really do hope this picks up. Zzz's
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
It probably says something that I just finished rewatching season two and reading volume 11 of the light novels and found episode two off-puttingly political. The Krusty parts should start alleviating some of that when they begin to be put in, and I think if the focus shifts over to Shiroe and his merry band trying to figure out how to keep things from exploding, we'll be in better shape.

I'm most invested in seeing what happens to Reyneshia at this point - it's a real chance for her to show major growth.

yea... without crusty to bail her out!? i doubt it.

though speaking of which, its probably the main thing people want to see! krusty's adventures with shiro's former friend/love interest kanami AND the potential reunion of the former tea party members!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
PabloGarciaCoutino wrote:
I actually thought that because of the long series haitus, the author would have written new and never released content for this season 3's episodes.

Not so much "hiatus" as suspended prison sentence for tax evasion.

Anyway, episode #3 reintroduces the political intrigue. Reminds me more of Twelve Kingdoms. Thought the slowness feeling is mostly due to catching up with the characters and establishing where they are. It's almost like 5 years have passed in-world too. And much of the action is missing because the events are taking place in the city limits where there is no fighting. My favorite arc from the first 2 seasons was the establishment of the Round Table in the first place when all the machinations and behind-the-scenes plots are revealed.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I wish they'd at least try to sum up the whole novel about Krusty's adventures at the Chinese server in a single episode, like they did with Kanami-centric novel in season 2. I mean, if whatever he's up to over there is so important the he even abandoned his own guild and let it dissolve, I'd sure like to know what it is.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Wow, I'm having a harder time getting back into this than I expected. Can't remember half the characters, and the politics are overwhelming me.

I'd probably feel the same way if I hadn't marathoned the first two seasons shortly before the current one premiered. Way too many characters, guilds and territories to keep track of, and the fact that Funimation's subs use different romanizations than Crunchyroll's only makes things more confusing.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:43 am Reply with quote
Should be interesting to see how an election fares for an entire group of people that probably have little to no concept of the idea of voting for government officials.
stefand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:54 am Reply with quote
I really don't get the behavior of some of the protagonists. With regards to Eins:

spoiler[Now he asks Shiroe for support?
Shouldn't he have come up with this before declaring himself ruler of Akiba, effectively trashing everything established.

I do not see how Eins's can be seen as trustworthy and honestly caring about Akiba]
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
stefand wrote:
I really don't get the behavior of some of the protagonists. With regards to Eins:

spoiler[Now he asks Shiroe for support?
Shouldn't he have come up with this before declaring himself ruler of Akiba, effectively trashing everything established.

I do not see how Eins's can be seen as trustworthy and honestly caring about Akiba]

If you've ever played any kind of guild or alliance based MMO then Eins is basically a player/group of players who disagree with the direction/strategy the guild is taking (ie. the guild wants to research development alliance technology, Eins wants to research combat alliance technology) that's all. If you consider Shiroe the defacto head of the Round Table, then their stance so far has been isolationism. "Do not involve ourselves in the conflicts of the People of the Land." But Eins believes they need to participate in a "we are the neutral state of Switzeralnd in between this conflict of East and West."

He already knows the Round Table will veto it, but at the same time, the Table doesn't really have the power to stop him either. And that's his whole point. With DDD disbanded and the Black Sword Knights gone, Honesty (biggest guild left) is unsatisfied with just sitting around and doing nothing. It's all essentially a, "This strategy isn't working. We tried it your way. I'm the strongest player. Now we're going to try it my way." He even admits he's not the best team player nor the smartest. That's why he asks for Shiroe's help. And even Shiroe admits, "Maybe I was wrong. But, I've got a completely different idea now."
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read any of the light novels, so I'm just gonna guess, it would be too neat and tidy for the princess to win. She won't, just doesn't feel right.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure she'll win either. Elsewhere there is speculation that Shiroe intends to rig the election by bringing in people from outside Akiba to change the balance of power. This seems like a dangerous strategy to me since, if it became known, it would undermine any legitimacy a potential Rayneshia government might have.

Regardless of the outcome of the election I'm sure Shiroe will link up with the forces behind Eins to thwart the martial efforts of the Senate.

By the end of the second episode I realized I needed to rewatch at least season two. So far season three has been much more interesting to me than the second season, but then I'm a retired political scientist who enjoyed the politics in season one and thought it was pushed aside in favor of a focus on battles in season two.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Good to know they simply shifted the Krusty-centric material to the middle of the season instead of skipping it. Looking forward to the next episode.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, wasn't expecting the election to go that way Laughing
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
As I suspected, this volume is being rushed.

Seriously, that new girl in Kanami's group went the whole episode with only a single line: "Okay". I barely remember who she is or why she joined them, and I watched S2 in January.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3