• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Sick, Sad World of Cells at Work: CODE BLACK

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningComet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How interesting would it be to see a case where antibiotics didn't work because the overuse has lead to bacteria gaining resistance against them, but then the body tries bacteriophage and the WBCs have to work with bacteria-killing bacteria because as it turns out, bacteria can have protection against phages or antibiotics but not both?

So, would those bacteria be dressed like Yakuza, or something? That could be pretty interesting...
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:14 pm Reply with quote
LightningComet wrote:
Quote:
How interesting would it be to see a case where antibiotics didn't work because the overuse has lead to bacteria gaining resistance against them, but then the body tries bacteriophage and the WBCs have to work with bacteria-killing bacteria because as it turns out, bacteria can have protection against phages or antibiotics but not both?

So, would those bacteria be dressed like Yakuza, or something? That could be pretty interesting...

Considering Cells At Work! designs bacteria like tokusatsu monsters and Code Black dabbles in The Horny, I'd just imagine Bacteriaphages to be designed like those villainesses from tokusatsu that are there for the Dads watching the show. You could even do the thing where RBC gets flustered and they hint at WBC getting jealous, maybe add a little pathos with the reveal that Bacteriaphage is to be flushed out once her job is done.

Who says biology is boring? Laughing
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I remember when Cells at Work! was airing that many people theorized one of the later episodes would reveal that the human body was female and undergo a pregnancy.

Interesting that you mentioned that, because last year the author of Black started another spin-off called Cells at Work! Lady. As the title implies, it's a spin-off focused on the stuff that only happens with women, like menstruation, pregnancy and childbirth.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
Quote:
I remember when Cells at Work! was airing that many people theorized one of the later episodes would reveal that the human body was female and undergo a pregnancy.

Interesting that you mentioned that, because last year the author of Black started another spin-off called Cells at Work! Lady. As the title implies, it's a spin-off focused on the stuff that only happens with women, like menstruation, pregnancy and childbirth.

And there's also Bacteria at Work, wherein gender doesn't matter since it takes place in gut biomes but the host body is a dumb but generally healthy teenage girl who we see regularly.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
It floors me that the guy who wrote "My Balls" is behind this apparently mainstream anime. Crazy...
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:29 am Reply with quote
I, too, thought the erection episode was among the funniest I've seen so far this year. I also liked how it gave the RBCs a sense of purpose besides just circulating around the body a couple hundred thousand times and then dying.

Of course, it's pretty unlikely that the owner of the body itself was interested in procreation. After this bout of gonorrhea the owner might consider wearing a condom though the cute sperm would have a problem.

The little sperms are cute, but nothing in either series comes close to the kawaii-ness of the lactic acid bacteria in the second season of the original.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:13 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
It floors me that the guy who wrote "My Balls" is behind this apparently mainstream anime. Crazy...

And suddenly a thousand light switches are flipped regarding the "erection" episode. Most of My Balls stories were around not ejaculating and the amount of scientific study behind those chapters was impressive. Makes sense the guy would also know the basic "how to" as well.

Also, My Balls was 100% a classic, regardless of how much people feel the need to denigrate it, dismiss it or explain it away.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:21 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And suddenly a thousand light switches are flipped regarding the "erection" episode. Most of My Balls stories were around not ejaculating and the amount of scientific study behind those chapters was impressive. Makes sense the guy would also know the basic "how to" as well.

Also, My Balls was 100% a classic, regardless of how much people feel the need to denigrate it, dismiss it or explain it away.

The series Harada is currently doing with former hentai artist Karoti, The Goddess's Sprinter, also has a lot to do with not ejaculating. The guy really seems to be obsessed with this theme, but I'd like to see that series get animated someday, as long as it's not censored.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1