• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vocaloid Virtual Idol Hatsune Miku Has Animated Series in Development

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
-"Is Vocaloid an anime?"
-"Yes, it is"

Or in other words, "Always has been"
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
And it took over 15 years to figure out that an anime is needed, but it may be too late for it to sell decently, Vtubers have taken over the virtual idol scene.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:36 pm Reply with quote
"But Krusty, why now? Why not twenty years ago?"
olgita

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:16 am Reply with quote
Hope it's gonna be musical. Or at least it'll have some music made by the best/most popular producers...Because, you know, music is the main theme of Vocaloids Laughing
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:49 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that it took this long.
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:50 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
I'm surprised that it took this long.

Took the words out of my mouth.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:14 am Reply with quote
UGHHHHHHHH

The charm of Miku is that she's a blank canvas. What we really don't need is people fighting over what's "canon". Blargh, I hate this whole thing.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
This always seemed like something that would never happen, for the reason Fenris stated. Guess they're doing whatever they can to try and stay relevant in this Vtuber era.

Maybe each episode will use a different setting and or be themed to a certain song?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:30 am Reply with quote
... why an Indian studio? Are they cheaping out big time for their money cow?
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:39 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
UGHHHHHHHH

The charm of Miku is that she's a blank canvas. What we really don't need is people fighting over what's "canon". Blargh, I hate this whole thing.

I like the approach the various manga and light novels have taken, in adapting individual songs. My ideal Miku anime would be an anthology series covering stories based on an assortment of well-known songs, or something like the Future Delivery manga, which features multiple Mikus, Rins, Kaitos, etc. across different worlds.
olgita

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:34 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Fenrin wrote:
UGHHHHHHHH

I like the approach the various manga and light novels have taken, in adapting individual songs. My ideal Miku anime would be an anthology series covering stories based on an assortment of well-known songs, or something like the Future Delivery manga, which features multiple Mikus, Rins, Kaitos, etc. across different worlds.

THIS. I would love to see that...
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
And it took over 15 years to figure out that an anime is needed, but it may be too late for it to sell decently, Vtubers have taken over the virtual idol scene.

Exactly what I was thinking, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess they're probably looking at it in reverse. Since the VTubers have taken over the virtual idol scene, thus, blowing virtual idols up to such unpredicted proportions, it's time to come in hot and strut their stuff as some of the pioneers that essentially started it all, or at least those who started the "boom", anyway.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
LiteMangime wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess they're probably looking at it in reverse. Since the VTubers have taken over the virtual idol scene, thus, blowing virtual idols up to such unpredicted proportions, it's time to come in hot and strut their stuff as some of the pioneers that essentially started it all, or at least those who started the "boom", anyway.

For sure. Miku has been around long enough that there has to be a reason why this would happen now rather than years ago. It's pretty easy to imagine that they're looking at the Vtuber scene and felt like Vocaloid might need some sort of shot in the arm, especially since you have some Vtubers who also release music and put on concerts. Throw in the streaming aspect which creates a constant audience engagement, and you've got a pretty potent combo.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Miku also has an extensive cameo in Shinkalion series.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:00 pm Reply with quote
LiteMangime wrote:
the VTubers have taken over the virtual idol scene

I don't see much overlap between Vocaloid and "virtual youtubers," really. The latter started with Kizuna Ai, and for whatever reason (Covid probably) they exploded in population over the last year or so. Most of them are, like her, mostly or entirely gaming streamers. And there's already so many of them (seemingly the majority on Twitch, especially among newer streamers) that it feels more like a modernization of static-image internet avatars than anything else.

There actually already was a Vocaloid-related anime back in 2014, "Mekakucity Actors" (a Shaft vehicle, no less) based on a specific series of songs. This could be something along those lines. There's also some official manga, mostly 4-koma gag-oriented stuff. They are well aware that making too much of an established canon could be a problem, so whatever it ends up being, I don't expect it to cause too many problems in that respect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2