• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: I'm in Love with the Villainess Author Responds to Alterations in English-Language Release

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brook09

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Now the cats out of the bag.

Seven Seas fcked majorly, not with one or two series, there's a third one.

I wouldn't be surprised if now all their light novel releases are like this, cutting out integral monologues vital to the characters (looking at you classroom of the elite vol7).

Jeez.
^__^v

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The latest news is the final nail in the coffin for me. All faith lost in the company's novel line, and perhaps its other products as well. Confused
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Sad. Reading a fan translation of what was removed, I really can't understand why they'd remove it, unless it was the publisher on the JP side who wanted it removed.

Due to delays I still haven't gotten my copy delivered yet, and now I'm actually hoping it can be delayed even further so I can potentially get a corrected edition. Makes me chuckle.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
How unfortunate it is that this has happened, This is one of my favorite novels

Last edited by TanyaTheEvil on Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Why pay for someone else to decide which of the author's ideas I should get to hear? It won't be me paying for your "translations", Seven Seas.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I actually cancelled my pre-order of the second volume after reading the first because I found Rae so unsympathetic as a main character. The removed parts sound like they would have helped me warm up to her, so maybe I would have bought the second volume if they had been left in. Nice work, Seven Seas.
Rogural

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that's it. No faith in Seven Seas anymore.
They can burn.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Sad. Reading a fan translation of what was removed, I really can't understand why they'd remove it, unless it was the publisher on the JP side who wanted it removed.

I mean, anything that can be seen as disrespectful to LGBT issues is a pretty big issue in America these days. It's pretty common to see stuff pertaining to it censored in English localizations.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
What are some other examples?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:55 pm Reply with quote
This explains a lot. Back when the first volume was reviewed here I remember being surprised at how negatively it was received. Particularly because very few yuri series meaningfully explore real world LGBT issues. I chalked it up to misremembering it and figured the second volume would review more favorably with Rae's character growth and further monologues taking deeper dives on salient issues.

Turns out my memory was fine and they outright omitted text. Wow. Just wow. Guess I'm done with Seven Seas, for now. While I prefer reading LNs in English since Japanese is my third language and it's easy to miss cultural references, I rather put up with those inconveniences than read a filtered story. A shame. I was really looking forward to rereading Accomplishments of a Duke's Daughter in English.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Rogural wrote:
They can burn.

I think that's a really awful thing to say. It's okay to dislike what a company does but you're basically wishing for the people who work there to die, and that is absolutely not okay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Florete wrote:

I mean, anything that can be seen as disrespectful to LGBT issues is a pretty big issue in America these days. It's pretty common to see stuff pertaining to it censored in English localizations.

This pretty clearly isn't disrespectful to LGBT issues, though. It's very sympathetic. If anything, the omission of this causes the narrative to be more disrespectful to LGBT issues.

The only logical explanation I can think of for the omission is that the JP publisher didn't want a rather negative portrayal of Japanese entertainers to be published in the west...but we'll have to wait for an official response.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely ridiculous. I’m not buying any more light novels from Seven Seas. They can’t be trusted.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Florete wrote:

I don't see how turning a character that acts like a caricature because that's what they've been taught to do by media into an actual caricature is in any way respectful to LGBT issues.

You'd think that removing a voice saying "hey, there's an unadressed issue here that is hurting us" is the disrespectful thing to do. Against LGBT collectives, against the writer and against the readers.
Rogural

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Rogural wrote:
They can burn.

I think that's a really awful thing to say. It's okay to dislike what a company does but you're basically wishing for the people who work there to die, and that is absolutely not okay.

It's a figure of speech, not wishing personal harm on the employees, but there is a clear problem with the company itself. We've had three cases of this within a month or so, so there's clearly something wrong and I'm willing to bet this won't be the last either. The company can go down for all I care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6