• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Violet Evergarden: The Movie [2021-03-26]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
Good review-but it's too little too late-this film came out quite a while ago. You should have reviewed it back then.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:14 am Reply with quote
It's actually coming out in Western cinemas very soon and will be subtitled, so I think it's plenty timely from that perspective!
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
We also have an older review from when it opened in Japanese cinemas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
simona.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
total masterpiece. I'd give it 25 oscars.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I just got out from seeing in the theaters myself and it has emotionally broken me for the rest of the night. Absolutely an experience worth seeing, though I agree with the review in that I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to rewatch it because of how emotionally taxing it is.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Violet Evergarden (2018) was a series that had huge fan expectations but was considered by many to be a disappointment. KyoAni had created a series with wonderful music and amazing visuals (some incredible), all in service of an overall story arc that many thought was mediocre at best.

The best episodes were the ones that focused on self-contained stories (5,7,10) while keeping Violet in the background. Episode 10 was transcendent (if you aren't a blubbering mess by the end you're a robot), and indeed if you just watch eps 5,7,10 it keeps Violet's origin mysterious and basically turns the series into a really good episodic OVA.

The series' biggest flaw was its emotionless and detached main character serving as our POV. This film attempts to fix that flaw, and in my opinion it succeeds. As a minimal prerequisite for watching this film you need to see episodes 8-10 and the last part of 7. (8-9 are rough watching but necessary.)

ANN Reviewer wrote:
Many films tug at your heartstrings. Violet Evergarden: The Movie rips them out, ties them in knots, surgically reattaches them, and then repeats the process two or three more times just to make sure you're a crying mess for the majority its runtime.

No kidding. You need a ton of hankies for this one. The fact that many of the animators never lived to see its completion just makes it even more poignant.

The film is doing a theatrical run in the USA from Mar 30-April 6. It is a must-watch for KyoAni fans.

Be sure to sit through the end credits for a wonderful post-credit bumper that is just perfect.
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the movie last night with my younger sister.
That whole theater room was sniffing and wiping tears away the whole time, definitively adding to the emotional roller coaster. It feels reassuring that everyone felt something when watching it.

I gotta say though, my only complaint is knowing that the light novels is not available in the US, if I wanted more Violet content. That's a crime.
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Good review-but it's too little too late-this film came out quite a while ago. You should have reviewed it back then.

I agree, this is a fantastic review that does the movie justice and should be the de facto review here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1