• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP's xxxHOLiC Manga Gets Stage Play

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakegurui

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
If you hate queer baiting, stay away from this manga.

I love all clamp series but this one really fooled me by into thinking doumeki and watanuki were canon.
Lann

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui wrote:

I love all clamp series but this one really fooled me by into thinking doumeki and watanuki were canon.

Despite the fact that Watanuki was clearly into Himawari before Zashiki Warashi came along? Seems to me you fooled yourself into some forced wishful thinking. Rolling Eyes
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui wrote:

... I support the DouWata ship, but I never once thought the series was "queer baiting". It was obvious that it was going to be similar to the KuroFai ship in terms of one needing the other (although more metaphorically and spiritually than the actual necessity that KuroFai has), especially after Yuuko disappears. Watanuki's feelings for Doumeki was never once romantic and I never felt that they canonically were (he clearly felt love for Himawari and Yuuko, with some sort of feelings for Kohane and Zashiki-Warashi). I can see Doumeki's being romantic, similar to Kohane's in many ways, which is why they got together in the end. Much as I actually hated that, because the two really deserved so much more than just being together for the sake of creating heirs to assist Watanuki, but I understand it for the plot at that time, so... I guess I have to digress.

As for a comment on the stage play itself... gotta admit, I didn't think this would be a thing. It's been years since I've heard anything about xxxHolic (been hoping that one day Rei would come off of hiatus so we can get past Volume 4, but like other CLAMP work, it probably won't for a long time), and I honestly didn't think we'd ever see anything new for the series after all of this time. But that visual looks really good!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I mean it's CLAMP and as much as I enjoy their stories their portrayal of sexuality in general has always been kind of awkward at times but also their manga are all like 20+ years old and I don't know that queer baiting as we think of it today really existed back then. Though I think CLAMP was always more forward thinking for the time than a lot of their competitors back then were.
ExaggeratedReality

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:48 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see xxxholic still getting attention even after so long. It's one of my favorites and a show I frequently go back to for nostalgia. I'd be very curious what a stage play version would look like though considering it's slap stick nature, crazy visuals and more supernatural elements (has it had a live action version prior? I have no idea I don't keep up)
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:54 pm Reply with quote
ExaggeratedReality wrote:
Has it had a live action version prior? I have no idea I don't keep up.

Yep. I didn't think it was that good though. The anime series was much better, of course it was also much longer too so it had more time to tell its story, but still...
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui wrote:

It's CLAMP... I mean... Seishirou and Subaru aren't even "canon"...! (...not technically; at least...) in either iteration ... of Tokyo Babylon/X to Tsubasa:RC. Regardless over its plot point regarding the relationship being a relationship or not.

...and heck, there is technically a 3-way relationship that can be read as canon in Magic Knight Rayearth that the anime changed by killing one of the characters off. The guys even look at her like a WTF, okay, sure. But its right at the end of the manga.

The only 100% true canon male/male relationship that is truly visible in CLAMP's works is Touya/Yukito in Cardcaptor Sakura. Everything else is implied, suggested, or glazed over with genderless characters (such as in Wish or Asura in RGVeda).

So....it's CLAMP...you are aware they used to be Doujin (fan) artists yea? They know how fan communities work and feed that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1