• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Golgo 13 Manga Ties Guinness World Record for Most Volumes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
200 volumes...I have read only 3 or 4... Very Happy
A shame that nobody will probably ever translate all this manga, not even scanlators, unfortunately it's not a shounen manga that could attract many readers!
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to the readers in Japan for keeping up with this.

I can only imagine the book-shelfs with all 200 volumes.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Kudos to the readers in Japan for keeping up with this.

I can only imagine the book-shelfs with all 200 volumes.

Well, 200 volumes ain't too much after all, and there could be readers in Japan (especially the older ones) that only buy Golgo13 volumes. I can totally immagine men in their 50s and 60s (and maybe even older) still reading this manga, and nothing else!
tsog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused. Isn't it a bit premature to call it breaking the world record when it is actually just tying it?

I don't doubt it can break the record with a 201st volume but it's not there yet, right?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
I'm confused. Isn't it a bit premature to call it breaking the world record when it is actually just tying it?

I don't doubt it can break the record with a 201st volume but it's not there yet, right?

According to Wikipedia, there are 601 chapters of Golgo 13 in total as of this moment. Each volume of Golgo 13 has averaged 3-4 chapters ever since the 70s, and as of Volume 198 a little over 60 of them haven't been collected yet. Technically, Golgo 13 has enough chapters in waiting (so to speak) that it's actually already roughly 220 volumes long, and the only reason for there being such a long list of uncollected chapters is because they aren't actually collected in chronological order, which is technically fine since the manga is episodic.

My guess is that Takao Saito & his staff specifically pick which chapters go in each volume, likely to create a theme for each book, so that results in the wait list.
tsog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

According to Wikipedia, there are 601 chapters of Golgo 13 in total as of this moment. Each volume of Golgo 13 has averaged 3-4 chapters ever since the 70s, and as of Volume 198 a little over 60 of them haven't been collected yet. Technically, Golgo 13 has enough chapters in waiting (so to speak) that it's actually already roughly 220 volumes long, and the only reason for there being such a long list of uncollected chapters is because they aren't actually collected in chronological order, which is technically fine since the manga is episodic.

My guess is that Takao Saito & his staff specifically pick which chapters go in each volume, likely to create a theme for each book, so that results in the wait list.

Even so, if a volume is not yet compiled/published, it doesn't count, right?

I just find ANN's choice of words odd in calling it recording breaking when it is tying an existing record. "The manga is currently tied with..." in the article text but title says "Breaks... Record for Most Volumes". The referenced article uses 並ぶ, which in context means "equals".
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Here I am thinking Hajime no Ippo was even close to breaking the record. Congrats to Takao Saito-san! And I must say he has one of the nicest drawing desks I've seen Mangaka use.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1