×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the new ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: To Your Eternity


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 912
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, the orb is a rock, then it is a wolf, and eventually it takes the form of a lonely boy.


To be "that guy",as of episode 2, the order is: orb -> rock -> moss -> wolf -> human.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marmalade665



Joined: 04 Mar 2020
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
For as strong as the first episode was, I wasn't disappointed in the second episode at all. The story telling is being handled so well you almost get lost in it.

Loved your Orb description!
Quote:
“Girl Meets Adorable Dog Lovecraftian Abomination Masquerading in a Human Flesh-Suit”


In the inevitable interviews, I'm already curious if the delay was purely production or did more story editing occur once they decided more time was needed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 23 Nov 2015
Posts: 230
Location: USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Quote:
First, the orb is a rock, then it is a wolf, and eventually it takes the form of a lonely boy.


To be "that guy",as of episode 2, the order is: orb -> rock -> moss -> wolf -> human.


You know, I thought I remembered the narration making that distinction, but I wasn't sure if that meant that it became just the moss, specifically, or if it was both the rock and the moss at the same time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gedata



Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 561
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
t has assumed the shape of the boy, but it has not inherited any of the boy's memories or personality traits; in fact, it seems to have regressed a little bit, given that one of his deaths comes from forgetting about how it needs to eat and drink.

I'm not so sure about that. It seems more likely to me that it just simply couldn't find any or didn't know how to get some on it's own. At this point its kind of like a pet that doesn't understand food as anything but scraps of meat or fruit that people give it


Last edited by gedata on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
a_Bear_in_Bearcave
Subscriber



Joined: 14 Jan 2019
Posts: 177
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
If others didn't just lie to Parona at the training scene, her bow skills may be ok with training bows, but she might just be too weak for their big hunting bows. I wonder if that's some metaphor where even if you got skills, if you're too weak you still have it uphill?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 9707
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I have to quibble with Kenjiro Tsuda as the narrator. Lord knows I love him to death and he's one of my faves, but he makes whatever observing being that's infodumping for us sound kinda evil, which I don't think is the intent. I would've preferred a mellower voice.

I also felt that some of the humor in the second episode was misplaced, like the xylophone plinks while March is hammering on Hayase's leg while her parents are showing their distress. It felt really tone deaf to the mood of the scene.

Otherwise, no complaints. It's interesting to me that The Thing can heal not only itself but its clothing, and yet it always has the unhealed, wounded leg. It's as if it considered the injury to be a natural part of the boy's body it copied, just like his clothing, and not a thing that needed fixing like new injuries do. I just hope someone will soon relieve it of the ropes it's been dragging around all this time (and which likely tripped it up to its death more than once).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gem-Bug



Joined: 10 Nov 2018
Posts: 382
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I have to quibble with Kenjiro Tsuda as the narrator. Lord knows I love him to death and he's one of my faves, but he makes whatever observing being that's infodumping for us sound kinda evil, which I don't think is the intent. I would've preferred a mellower voice.


I gotta say it was pretty wild to have watched a random episode of Yugioh! Duel Monsters -directly- before watching the first episode of this and getting immediately hit with Kaiba's VA. I'm enjoying this though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
L0ken



Joined: 09 Jan 2019
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I have to quibble with Kenjiro Tsuda as the narrator. Lord knows I love him to death and he's one of my faves, but he makes whatever observing being that's infodumping for us sound kinda evil, which I don't think is the intent. I would've preferred a mellower voice.


From the perspective of manga reader I think Tsuda specific voice actually fits more then some more mellower voice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3060
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's a controversial take: World-building is an often-overrated aspect of fantasy and science-fiction writing, and a lot of anime especially have a bad habit of going buck wild with it, seemingly more concerned with filling out their own personal wikis than with spinning a good yarn.


I disagree, or rather I'd say "Bad World-building is an often-overrated aspect of fantasy". Good world building is seamless and happen alongside other scenes. There should never be a scene which sole purpose is world building, instead every scene should have its own narrative purpose and because it happens in the world then it's also world building. Bad world building is those "as you know..." scene where character tell each others things they know, are obvious and, quite often, shouldn't be saying out loud ie. "you know how the emperor, who can execute us, is a terrible emperor". Bad world building scene can stay at the door, I'd rather be confuse because I don't quite understand how the show world work rather than confuse because I don't understand how our world work since an obviously terrible writer somehow managed to get a job as a writer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Thacker



Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 922
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:


I disagree, or rather I'd say "Bad World-building is an often-overrated aspect of fantasy". Good world building is seamless and happen alongside other scenes. There should never be a scene which sole purpose is world building, instead every scene should have its own narrative purpose and because it happens in the world then it's also world building.


The need for lazy world building is why so much fantasy and SF has the amnesiac protagonist, the isolated farm boy protagonist, or the visitor from another world protagonist. It's so much easier on the writer when the protagonist needs things explained as much as the reader.

In the other direction, there are books like William Gibson's The Peripheral where there is absolutely no explanation given and the reader is incredibly confused, possibly past the point where it's a clever puzzle to the point where it's difficult to follow.

Still, there are books that are primarily about the world building that are not bad writing, but where the world building is the point. I think it's fair to have the sole purpose of a scene be world building when the entire concept of the book is to explore the consequences of a hypothetical world; much of the classic Asimov works and other fall in this category, and it's a beloved type of SF.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 1254
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
That that initial scene need to be so comical? Laughing The death montage was already kind of silly in how it was portrayed, and when he finally overcomes that and reaches someplace that looks like the boy's dreamed "paradise"... bam, giant bear F.O.E. to the face. Oops Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Here's a controversial take: World-building is an often-overrated aspect of fantasy and science-fiction writing, and a lot of anime especially have a bad habit of going buck wild with it, seemingly more concerned with filling out their own personal wikis than with spinning a good yarn.

It's worse when more often than not this incredible world they're building is the same generic produce as always, with the only identity of their own being the Proper Names and what values they have set this and that generic parameters to.
If your best worldbuilding bit is why your vampires can use light magic, or how humans have this one specific characteristic compared to other races, then maybe you shouldn't bother dedicating time to world-building at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 912
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I

Otherwise, no complaints. It's interesting to me that The Thing can heal not only itself but its clothing, and yet it always has the unhealed, wounded leg. It's as if it considered the injury to be a natural part of the boy's body it copied, just like his clothing, and not a thing that needed fixing like new injuries do. I just hope someone will soon relieve it of the ropes it's been dragging around all this time (and which likely tripped it up to its death more than once).



The rope leash is of course just a rope leash,but for the most part "clothing" is part & parcel of "The Thing"(Fushi).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 1254
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
The rope leash is of course just a rope leash,but for the most part "clothing" is part & parcel of "The Thing"(Fushi).

Only one of the ropes! The rope hanging from his neck is a remnant from when he was a wolf tied to the boy's wrist. The rope hanging form his wrist is a copy of the boy's.
It's kind of logical but also kind of weird.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrdb



Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 771
Location: Who-me? Am I supposed to be somewhere?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first 2 episodes and as much as I wanted to like it I didn't. There's something about it that just rubs me the wrong way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sigit7son



Joined: 29 Jan 2020
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
If others didn't just lie to Parona at the training scene, her bow skills may be ok with training bows, but she might just be too weak for their big hunting bows. I wonder if that's some metaphor where even if you got skills, if you're too weak you still have it uphill?


I don't know as far as I know intentional back arrow to the face requires more skill than simply shooting the arrow straight to the head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group