• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NBC Will Not Air Golden Globes in 2022 Due to Controversy with Diversity

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Due to terrible ratings, perhaps, but sure I suppose about the controversy. An outlet for correspondents from foreign countries based in the US doesn't have enough Black members? (So this usage is as a race then, not as the ethnicity of people with the shared cultural experiences of ADOS.)

It's kind of odd to boil it down to "people of color," considering that HFPA, although many of them do not write that much, has a ton of Hispanic, MENA, and Asian members. It's a weird group, to be sure, but the reporting on this has obscured as often as it's clarified.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah they saw the number the oscar pulled and just looked for an easy way out.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I do not get America's obsession with race. Does it not defeat the point of an award if you're going to set quotas and judge works based on anything but quality? I would question if any award I got would be because they wanted to give it to a Chinese person rather than because they actually thought my work was good.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
The issue outlined in the article is about representative membership in the individuals that judge the films, not about awarding a certain number of films starring non-white cast or created by non-white crew.

That said, I thought the situation with Minari: a film made in America starring Korean-American and Korean actors and directed by an Asian-American about a Korean family in Arkansas being put into the "foreign" category because it wasn't in English was atrocious and a sign of a problem within the Golden Globes judging.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
The issue outlined in the article is about representative membership in the individuals that judge the films, not about awarding a certain number of films starring non-white cast or created by non-white crew.

That said, I thought the situation with Minari: a film made in America starring Korean-American and Korean actors and directed by an Asian-American about a Korean family in Arkansas being put into the "foreign" category because it wasn't in English was atrocious and a sign of a problem within the Golden Globes judging.

I know. Even if it were dubbed, I don't think it matters as long as the story is good. Take Demon Slayer: Mugen Train for example. It may be as mainstream as an anime film can go, but it still had a great story.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Due to terrible ratings, perhaps, but sure I suppose about the controversy. An outlet for correspondents from foreign countries based in the US doesn't have enough Black members? (So this usage is as a race then, not as the ethnicity of people with the shared cultural experiences of ADOS.)
It's not even that. Heck, HFPA actually not even cared about the actual diversity at all - nor do NBC or any other people who thrown out their support and just trying to cover up the actual truth that started all this motion behind the fine cause of modern press kit trends and playing the "we support the diversity" card - and the truth was that HFPA got hit with the antitrust suit that claimed them as a corrupt and pretty shady group that deny new applicants despite the appliable qualification, and wasting the millions of dollars in the expenses and payments for their members despite being tax-exempt NPO - and despite the suit got dismissed by the judge, it done quite a collateral damage for the HFPA reputation.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the Golden Globes on TV in years I just catch the results online after the event is done no real loss here about the event not airing on TV this year.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:31 pm Reply with quote
It's not as if any really meaningful changes will happen. This is just publicity. All of the major award shows are a joke anymore for the most part. Films and actors/actresses constantly get snubbed if they don't fit within a certain image or criteria. Any changes will be short lived and just a public spectacle to make a point without being lasting and meaningful. But hey, that's most things in life so what else is new.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:05 am Reply with quote
Whatever. The Golden Globes are just the minor league Oscars anyway.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:47 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Whatever. The Golden Globes are just the minor league Oscars anyway.

This! No one even remembers what won the Golden Globes a few years later.

octopodpie wrote:

That is how the award is always handled at the Golden Globes. It’s the Foreign Language award. American films primarily not in English were always put in this category. Minari was not singled out. While for obvious reasons usually films made in other countries are put in this category, Minari is not the first American film nominated. I am not saying how they handle the award isn’t weird but that’s how they handle it.

Note the Oscars award is for best International film so Minari would not be eligible.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:13 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

That is how the award is always handled at the Golden Globes. It’s the Foreign Language award. American films primarily not in English were always put in this category. Minari was not singled out. While for obvious reasons usually films made in other countries are put in this category, Minari is not the first American film nominated. I am not saying how they handle the award isn’t weird but that’s how they handle it.

Note the Oscars award is for best International film so Minari would not be eligible.

The issue with the Golden Globes was that it ruled that Minari was ineligible for the Best Motion Picture awards because the film was in a foreign language.

In other words, the rules dictate that only films in English can get a Best Picture nomination. Period.

Or to be relevant to anime, no Japanese film and no anime film will ever win a Best Picture award (or even get nominated) under the current Golden Globe rules — but they can at the Oscars.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/minari-foreign-language-film-golden-globes-1234874332/

According to the Golden Globes rules:
"Motion pictures that qualify for the Best Motion Picture - Foreign Language award also qualify for awards in all other motion picture categories except Best Motion Picture - Drama and Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy, which are exclusively for English-language motion pictures, and Best Motion Picture - Animated."

"Animated motion pictures are not eligible for the Best Motion Picture – Drama, Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy or Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language awards."

https://www.goldenglobes.com/sites/default/files/golden_globe_awards_eligibility_descriptions_2020_revisions_approved_3-19-20conformed_5-27-20.pdf
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

The issue with the Golden Globes was that it ruled that Minari was ineligible for the Best Motion Picture awards because the film was in a foreign language.

In other words, the rules dictate that only films in English can get a Best Picture nomination. Period.

Or to be relevant to anime, no Japanese film and no anime film will ever win a Best Picture award (or even get nominated) under the current Golden Globe rules — but they can at the Oscars.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/minari-foreign-language-film-golden-globes-1234874332/

According to the Golden Globes rules:
"Motion pictures that qualify for the Best Motion Picture - Foreign Language award also qualify for awards in all other motion picture categories except Best Motion Picture - Drama and Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy, which are exclusively for English-language motion pictures, and Best Motion Picture - Animated."

"Animated motion pictures are not eligible for the Best Motion Picture – Drama, Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy or Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language awards."

https://www.goldenglobes.com/sites/default/files/golden_globe_awards_eligibility_descriptions_2020_revisions_approved_3-19-20conformed_5-27-20.pdf

But that has always been the rule. It may be dumb rule but Minari was not the first American film nominated for this a category.

Well it wasn’t always like that the rule was changed in 1987. But the point is Minari was not put in that category because it was deemed too foreign it was put in that category because it fit that category best according to the rules.

Because of popular films like Minari maybe the Golden Globes need to rethink the award in the future. The thing is people didn’t seem to care when American films were nominated on this category before.

But like I said no one actually cares about the Golden Globes in the long run. It never held the prestige of the Oscars.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:16 am Reply with quote

But that has always been the rule. It may be dumb rule but Minari was not the first American film nominated for this a category.

You might be missing the point -- the uproar over Minari isn't just that the Golden Globes pigeon-holed Minari in one category. The controversy is also that the Golden Gloves also forced Minari out of the running for the top award.

The same is doubly true for anime, with two strikes against it (foreign-language and animated).

Well it wasn’t always like that the rule was changed in 1987. But the point is Minari was not put in that category because it was deemed too foreign it was put in that category because it fit that category best according to the rules.

Not quite true. Another issue with the rules is that they are famously inconsistent. See Inglorious Basterds, Babel, and other films nominated for the Best Picture awards (after 1987) at the Golden Globes.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:39 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

You might be missing the point -- the uproar over Minari isn't just that the Golden Globes pigeon-holed Minari in one category. The controversy is also that the Golden Gloves also forced Minari out of the running for the top award.

The same is doubly true for anime, with two strikes against it (foreign-language and animated).

Not quite true. Another issue with the rules is that they are famously inconsistent. See Inglorious Basterds, Babel, and other films nominated for the Best Picture awards (after 1987) at the Golden Globes.

I am not missing the point you are. The foreign language film was always ineligible for the Best Picture category. I am not saying it’s not dumb but that is how the rule is. It didn’t suddenly change for Minari.

And the award has not been inconsistent. To be put in a foreign language category the film has to have a certain % not in English. Minari met the criteria those other films did not.

Letters to Iwo Jima also a pretty well known American film directed by Clint Eastwood was also only nominated in the foreign language category.

Like you can say it’s a stupid way to run the category which I agree without saying Minari was specifically targeted because it was too foreign. But I do hope Minari gets them
to rethink the category in the future.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:49 am Reply with quote
The foreign language film was always ineligible for the Best Picture category. I am not saying it’s not dumb but that is how the rule is. It didn’t suddenly change for Minari.

And the award has not been inconsistent. To be put in a foreign language category the film has to have a certain % not in English. Minari met the criteria those other films did not.

According to the Golden Globes rules, that percentage is 50%. However, as the above examples and more demonstrate, it is enforced inconsistently.

In short, the rules weren't always there and weren't consistent when they were.

Quote:
But I do hope Minari gets them to rethink the category in the future.

Definitely agree there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2