• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: P.A. Works' Aquatope of White Sand Anime Unveils More Cast, July 8 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xXOKYayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:44 am Reply with quote
>"girl-meets-girl teen ensemble"
>male characters
>Kai Nakamura, Kukuru's classmate and childhood friend.
That's BS. This is just another yuribait anime like Little Witch Academia, Cross Ange, Two Car, Love Lab, Amanchu, and Hibike Euphonium. An anime that wants to make a joke of yuri which is despite in recent years is still a niche genre and play yuri fans like a damn fiddle. Japan should really grow up and stop their mockery and constant insults of yuri.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:28 am Reply with quote
xXOKYayXx wrote:
>"girl-meets-girl teen ensemble"
>male characters
>Kai Nakamura, Kukuru's classmate and childhood friend.
That's BS. This is just another yuribait anime like Little Witch Academia, Cross Ange, Two Car, Love Lab, Amanchu, and Hibike Euphonium. An anime that wants to make a joke of yuri which is despite in recent years is still a niche genre and play yuri fans like a damn fiddle. Japan should really grow up and stop their mockery and constant insults of yuri.

You know, I'm a fan of yuri. But even so, I still hold nothing precludes a show showing a friendship theme without necessarily going deeper, or having characters of the opposite gender in various roles. What you're saying is akin to claiming Lethal Weapon being bait because the two leads didn't go 'further'. Or the plethora of other buddy movies out there. As said I'm a yuri fan, but that doesn't mean I don't find enjoyment in Super Cub this season...
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:28 am Reply with quote
Show looks interesting, kind of feels like the Aquarium version of Sakura Quest.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Visually this was looking pretty yuri to me, but I wasn't expecting them to go that deep with it. Not that I'm expecting there'll be actual romance, either with the girls or the guys, anyways.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I would be very shocked if pa works made a yuri anime (or a good anime for that matter...jk I did like Uma Musume Pretty Derby. However it should be noted season 2 was significantly better and also a different studio....). But not sure why the existence of a male character would mean its not yuri? Is there some reason she cant be in love with a woman but also have a male friend who she does not have romantic feelings for? But this is all most likely moot anyway since this show will probably have no romance at all.

Now if your saying the male characters will ruin the yuri subtext then yes that is true. Well at least there are very few cases where the addition of male characters does not ruin the subtext.
Yaafm

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh, P.A. Works new title? I like most of their stuff, I will defiantly give this a try.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
I would be very shocked if pa works made a yuri anime (or a good anime for that matter...jk I did like Uma Musume Pretty Derby. However it should be noted season 2 was significantly better and also a different studio....). But not sure why the existence of a male character would mean its not yuri? Is there some reason she cant be in love with a woman but also have a male friend who she does not have romantic feelings for? But this is all most likely moot anyway since this show will probably have no romance at all.

Now if your saying the male characters will ruin the yuri subtext then yes that is true. Well at least there are very few cases where the addition of male characters does not ruin the subtext.

PA Works is still involved with S2 but yeah KAI was the animation studio which is the difference.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:

Well, it wasn't originally stated as yuri or romance in general anywhere (Likewise, the LWA writers have openly denied on several occasions that their work was yuri). I can understand why so many people are expecting this after the trailers, but the audience's expectations are not necessarily the same as the authors' intentions. Therefore, it is especially strange to see accusations of yuri baitness just because the show did not meet the expectations.

On the other hand, I agree that the yuri does not have to have an all-female cast. As if girls fall in love with each other just because there are no men around.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 am Reply with quote
I'd guess there were yuri shippers for Shirobako and Sakura Quest as well, when the shows clearly depicted the girls as friends. In fact there's hardly any romance or lust, for anyone of any gender, in either show.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'd guess there were yuri shippers for Shirobako and Sakura Quest as well, when the shows clearly depicted the girls as friends. In fact there's hardly any romance or lust, for anyone of any gender, in either show.

Eh, I remember a chapter from the Shirobako manga where the girls jokingly portrayed extremely melodramatic scenes from some silly melodrama and people even joked that they finally got "yuri" content in the franchise, lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1