• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin Series Gets New Novel on July 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
I'm not pretending anything, I'm saying that for all the condemnation Watsuki is going through again, his IP and its adaptations are still selling pretty well and that people will make money off it whether we like it or not, that he got whatever punishment the justice system thought he deserved, and that beating this dead horse never goes anywhere, so I'm gonna stop here talking about the subject, because apparently you and the other guy answering to my comment love to try to read between lines for thing that aren't there.

Also, is even english your first language??? it took me a while trying to make heads or tails of your comment.

"as if he and Harvey Weinstein were somehow in the same league", what is even the point of this comparison? because Weinstein is an actual predator, possession of CP is less serious? I get that bringing up this topic all the time is tiring and hopefully people should just talk about the series instead for a change, but weighing which sexual abuse is worse on the scale doesn't make this any better. You can't blame people for still being angry, even after almost 4 years.

And sorry for my bad English, it's not my first language.

Last edited by ZetMoon80 on Fri May 14, 2021 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
The new Kenshin manga he's doing is really good and I look forward to this novel as well.
I'd really like to see Viz pick this up.

Yeah, would be nice, but during the author's incident in the past, Viz silently cancelled the English translation of the Hokkaido Arc and is no longer listed on their site since then. I don't expect the Novel to be picked up due to that.

However, they still list the original and the "Restoration" version, which I assume that they're already completed works fully translated before the incident happened.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Restoration only lasted two volumes as it was just the idea of a "reboot" based on the author's impression with the liveaction movie and wanted to present a different way to look at the characters.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I really hope one day we will get Ruroni Kenshin: Brotherhood.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
To answer the question, which has been answered countless times already, no it is not ok to mention Watsuki is every Kenshin related topic. Seriously folks, get off it. You can think whatever you want about his sentence and if it was too light or not. You can think whatever you want about supporting the series or not given his actions. We don't need to discuss it and rehash the same comments in EVERY Kenshin thread however. From now on any comments on him in any Kenshin related **thread are going to simply be deleted with no warning. Enough is enough. Discuss the actual topic please, or just move on.

**Baring any thread actually related to him, should one come up.

Also, don't be an ass and insult people's English. There are many for whom it is their second language and giving them grief over it is just tacky.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much for saying this. During the past while I was still lurking this site, literally every single time there was a Rurouni Kenshin article, at least one user eventually would bring up Watsuki and what he’s done. I have my own opinions about him, but seeing the same things said about him over and over again really is tiring.

I myself am a fan of things created by really bad people, and while I absolutely don’t condone these creators’ actions, I don’t bring up what they’ve done in every single conversation about their works! People have likely heard about what Watsuki and all of these other terrible creators have done; it’s just really exhausting to keep seeing the same comments said over and over again and all these conversations just constantly rehashing the same ideas.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I've just been out of the anime scene too long, but it feels weird that it's a novel, of all things. The only time I felt like this format really worked was with that Death Note novel featuring that FBI agent with her blink-and-you'll-miss-it manga appearance (and she was robbed, I tell you, robbed!!!!) which really capitalized on its format to pull a neat twist on the reader.

It just feels like it's such an uphill battle to try and capture the tone of a totally different format (manga) in prose that I can't really see this working out except for diehard fans that want to know what Kaoru and Kenshin's canon wedding looked like. Confused
gpanthony

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:50 am Reply with quote
The novel is probably written by his wife, who has written many novels based on his works and also helps with writing his manga too. I believe her name Kaoru Kurosaki or something like that.

Also, not that it takes away from the gravity of the situation, but there is an incredible irony that an author whose story is about the redemption of a man from his past sins (and that sin being murder), will never be be forgiven by some for his own sins even after going through the process of justice (lax as it was) and trying to repent.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
Also, not that it takes away from the gravity of the situation, but there is an incredible irony that an author whose story is about the redemption of a man from his past sins (and that sin being murder), will never be be forgiven by some for his own sins even after going through the process of justice (lax as it was) and trying to repent.

This. This is exactly what made me think there must be something more into it. But then again, it's really not our business to pry. IMO Shueisha is also treading carefully in regards to this.

Speaking of the announcement, it must have something to do with the last of the Kenshin live action movies. IMO knowledge of Kenshin's marriage and relationships were strictly known only to the manga audience. So it's a different case from Naruto or Bleach that also got the novel treatment, since both have more extensive anime adaptations.

Having a (successful) movie adaptation (that portrays his past relationship with Tomoe) opens up interest with the series's future events. I'm not surprised if there are new anime plans in the pipeline.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I've definitely been raising an eyebrow at all of these RK articles on ANN that just omit any mention of the fact the series creator is a pedophile. That's kind of a big deal, yeah? And even if you want to argue that Japanese culture is more accepting of pedophilia (Jesus Christ I hate having to write that. What the actual, everlasting ****?) this site is is geared toward English-speaking Westerners, catering to a fandom that has a number of pretty big issues, including the issue at hand.

So this whole mess is just a full-on YIKES from me.
Amarantine

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:36 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
I really hope one day we will get Ruroni Kenshin: Brotherhood.

Really hope it happens sooner rather than later because the Japanese voice actors aren't getting any younger and I can't imagine watching Rurouni Kenshin with a different cast. Anime cry
ZephyrVayu

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Everyone here complaining about having the same discussion over and over again while engaging in the same discussion. If you really didn't want to have it you would've just not commented.

Personally, as Westerners I believe it's not our place to judge the Japanese legal system or their culture in relation to crimes like this. Although I personally will never go near RK again with a 1000-foot pole. It just makes me feel dirty, and I understand why people have a visceral, emotional reaction to articles about RK and its author, and still feel a need to bring it up. Doesn't matter how long it has been. Forgetting the lessons of history is an assurance that atrocities will happen again, and holding people accountable for heinous crimes (especially if they're famous) is our collective responsibility.

Don't think mods should start deleting comments discussing "the incident" either (unless they have a valid reason). That's some next-level censorship, and I hate to say it, but if it's a RK article then it's, sadly, on topic. It will always be "on topic". We've all seen what happens when people are denied their right to express their outrage in a civilized and dignified way.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Makes you wonder if Watsuki or those comfort women war criminals have to pull a Tsutomu Miyazaki for them be disowned, too. And it makes me wonder if Viz is stuck with a contract it can't get out of with Shueisha.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

As Psycho pointed out, ANN has a "no soapboxing rule." This rule is designed to stop threads from being constantly derailed by people who want to discuss tangential issues. It was originally designed with individual posters in mind.

Specifically, it was designed because we had one poster who would bring up his unhappiness with End of Evangelion in every single article that we wrote about Anno, even if the article was unrelated to Eva.

Currently, the staff & moderators are discussing how this should apply to this situation, which is slightly, but not that different.

In the meantime, while we discuss the issue, I would like to kindly request that in this thread, and near-future talkback threads about Watsuki's works, those threads not be turned into discussions about Watsuki's life & crimes. This is not a defense of Watsuki's actions, or the way they were handled, but rather an attempt to, as always, keep discussions "on topic."

Anyone who has feedback on this particular issue is invited to post it in the "feedback forum," not here.

Regards,

Christopher Macdonald

Edit I moved several posts discussing moderation to this thread.

Last edited by Tempest on Mon May 17, 2021 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Unpopular opinion but I personally don't want a Rurouni Kenshin anime reboot. Director Kazuhiro Furuhashi hates sticking to the manga and source material, and that's what made the anime and both of the OVA so great IMHO. It's also apparent in his other works like Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn and Dororo, if he doesn't have to stick to things page for page he flourishes. If there's a reboot he probably will not be involved. I have no interest in someone turning manga pages I've already read on TV. For me the reboot is the live action movies. I'm fine with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2