• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl Remakes Launch on November 19, Followed by Legends: Ar

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this turns out to be good.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:11 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I really hope this turns out to be good.

Call me a pessimist but I honestly can't see it being very good at all. The remakes are 1:1 translations with an arguably worse look (on par with the original at best) that honestly don't give me much of a reason to play them and not just the originals instead.

And as for Legends: Arceus... That game is at least different and shows that Game Freak is willing to still experiment with the franchise but what we saw looked VERY rough around the edges and with the release being so soon (I expected Nov 2022 at the earliest) and Game Freak being Game Freak, I worry about how well-made it will actually be in general and, this is a more personal, me, kinda thing, how fun it'll even be for me seeing how it seems to go with a very BOTW-esque gameplay and world design that I just don't enjoy even when it's done by a more competent developer like BOTW was.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Really missed the chance to call it Shining Diamond (yes I know the real Stand name is Crazy Diamond but still). I for one like the Chibi look. Hopefully they can iron out Arceus's FPS and LOD animation problems before release.
YoshiChao

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
And as for Legends: Arceus... That game is at least different and shows that Game Freak is willing to still experiment with the franchise but what we saw looked VERY rough around the edges and with the release being so soon (I expected Nov 2022 at the earliest)

You do realize they’re being made by separate studios and not just the one yeah?

GameFreak regularly release their games within the year after their announcement, and Arceus is coming out nearly a whole year after it’s initial announcement.[/quote]
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I already had my pre-orders for Diamond and Arceus paid off for a few months, so I'm ready whenever they drop, but I'm happy to have actual release dates now. I hope there might be some more previews of the remakes and Arceus at E3, though.

I know people are very apprehensive over both games, but I'm fairly excited. I never played Diamond or Pearl, so the remakes will be a fresh take - I do hope there are Platinum elements thrown in, though, because I've heard a lot of good things about Platinum's addition to Gen 4 - and Arceus' RPG elements isn't something I usually play but with a Pokemon game it has potential to be amazing. I know a lot of people hated on Sword & Shield, but I had so much fun with Sword that it's been tempting at times to get Shield and start all over again. It's an 8/10 Pokemon game for me, so if either of those games reach that level, then I'd be super happy.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Obviously I do realize that but first of all I don't think that has really been leading to very satisfactory results, either, especially when you keep in mind that Pokemon is pretty much THE most financially successful gaming franchise out there, which doesn't exactly reflect in the quality and polish of the actual games.
In all of those cases they could also rely heavily on work already done by not just sticking with the same core formula with very minimal tweaks and additions but also by recycling the engine and tons of the assets since the first 3DS iteration, which also saves tons of time and effort.

Any deviation from that core formula would take a lot more time and a lot more effort, which Legends: Arceus is. But to top it off it also is a large-scale open-world kinda game which especially takes more time to get right than more linear, smaller-scale games do. Just look at how long BOTW took and how long its sequel is still taking.

Plus, there are probably some higher-ups who make most of the big decisions and were the ones who decided to go with minimal effort for the Gen 4 remakes and probably call the shots about what Game Freak does as well.

So yeah, none of this bodes well at all.
YoshiChao

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Pandsu wrote:
Plus, there are probably some higher-ups who make most of the big decisions and were the ones who decided to go with minimal effort for the Gen 4 remakes and probably call the shots about what Game Freak does as well.

I know you’ve already stated how negative you are towards these remakes, but I feel you’re being way too negative.

Personally I’m hopeful for them despite the visual style shown off being a bit of a turnoff, because these are the first games since XY directly crediting Masuda as the director. Reason I bring this up is because he also did the amazing HGSS remakes that were loaded with things to do on top of being mostly faithful to Crystal, while splitting off to G and S respectively where needed.

Meanwhile ORAS were made after they’d more or less benched Masuda, and while I enjoyed them a bunch, they really did branch heavily away from the original games, and even lazily wrote off a bunch of former features (the battle frontier being one of the biggest ones)

Compared to that, we’ve already seen BDSP showing that even something as arbitrary as the Link Room is returning, so now all they need to show off is any new features / things they’re putting in, and already they’ll have me beyond sold even if the character model style was something I formerly disagreed with.
Pandsu

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I am and I'd be happy to be proven wrong about both of these games (and the thing is even WITH my somewhat negative and disappointed view on the franchise recently, I still check out and buy most of them anyway, even if I don't end up beating them. So it's not like I'm not giving them a fair shake) but didn't they just flat-out state that they'd be 1:1 remakes? And what has been shown kinda shows that, including the art style.

I liked the Gen2 remakes a lot. Same with Gen1 on GBA. I didn't play the Gen 3 remakes for some reason (wasn't feeling it that year) so I can't say anything about those. But the Gen 4 remakes just reek of missed opportunity and a misguided, lazy effort to be as close to the originals as possible instead of modernizing them and using the opportunity to address some of the issues people had with the originals and letting fans view them in a new light. Instead we get 3D versions of 2D sprites that looked the way they did mostly due to technical limitations, just that now we don't have those limitations anymore so there really is no point.

I might be coming off a bit too harsh here, sure. But I really don't have anything bad to say to those who enjoyed the recent games and will likely enjoy the next ones. I'm just kind of disappointed in the franchise's missed potential as a whole.
I still like the franchise and have TONS of nostalgia for it and have to thank it for a lot of the things it helped me accomplish as a kid that I otherwise wouldn't have. And I still find at least SOME joy in each new game, be it some specific Pokemon, the character designs, the memes that sometimes happen around them or whatever.

I'm even one of the few people who got into it at its inception and DOESN'T complain about the newer designs and DOESN'T act like Gen 1 was the greatest one and didn't have any lazy or stupid designs. On the contrary, really. I usually really like a starter pretty much on the day they are revealed and find a few favorites among the regular ones as well.
When Sword & Shield came out I thought I wasn't gonna buy it because I haven't actually beaten one in forever and wanted to save my money this time but then I went "bruh Sobble doe" and caved.
I still didn't beat that one either and was complaining about a lot of things but hey..

But I am still waiting for the day when I can fully just enjoy a whole ass Pokemon game and not be cynical about it.

That day might come. Maybe the upcoming games will be that for me, who knows. But so far there is no indication that they'll be that and that is in big part due to a lack of effort on Game Freak and the Pokemon Company's parts.
YoshiChao

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I feel having issue or not having cleared any of the recent games cos of reasons, I didn’t progress past the tutorial in USUM and some issues aside, those games are considered the definitive experience of Sun and Moon (and some things I’ve seen about them do make them tempting to go back to, but how similar it is to SM is way too much of a demotivator since I played those games a bunch as usual)

The way I see it, it’s not an absolute death sentence for the games to be sticking as close to the originals as possible as it’ll be refreshing for some to revisit the older games without having to directly revisit them. And I dunno about you, but basically any game pre-XY is way harder to play on account of the various QOLs those games put in (infinite use TMs for example)

Other than that, I haven’t actually seen anywhere specifically state the games are going to be 1:1 remakes of the original, just people have been saying that on forums and the like, so I’m not going to comment too much on that without confirmation it is indeed the case.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
^^^
I am not going into the rest of your comments, but this idea you have that the games will be 1:1 isn't surprising considering that you didn't play the Gen 3 remakes by your own admission.
To clarify, the Gen 3 remakes were not 1:1. And even the Gen 2 remakes changed the story by incorporating the few story elements that Pokemon Crystal introduced. And the gameplay for both remakes, and Gen 1 remakes, had significant changes from their originals.
So it's not optimistic to say that these new games won't be 1:1; it's realism because there is no precedent for it to be 1:1.

Tl;dr: HGSS also adapted Crystal (the Suicune plot), and ORAS also adapted Emerald (Delta episode), so I have no doubt these new games will adapt Giratina and perhaps even Arceus into the story.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:07 am Reply with quote
Well, it's Pokemon, so I'll definitely get both of these. Maybe even get them physical on Day 1.

Platinum was my favorite part of the DPPt generation, so hopefully that'll be in the remake. (Particularly distortion world -- really hoping that this new team can translate over the sense of wonder I first felt when I saw those physics-defying waterfalls.)

As for Arceus Legends... I'm certainly always intrigued when the Pokemon Company decides to tackle a new spinoff. I'm not a huge fan of open-world games, and there seems to be no story reveal yet beyond "gotta catch 'em all", but these games have still certainly got my interest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1