• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: Battle of Kimluck

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
Maybe this is one that Funimation will dub later? Multiple shows have been dubbed later on, or will arrive with the whole season dubbed, with some even being outsourced entirely since remote recording has them spread pretty thin. I could easily see Orphen being in the "we'll get around to it" category. Then again, I could be pretty easily convinced that the first season didn't do well enough for season 2 to get dubbed at all.
anime-prime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Maybe this is one that Funimation will dub later? Multiple shows have been dubbed later on, or will arrive with the whole season dubbed, with some even being outsourced entirely since remote recording has them spread pretty thin. I could easily see Orphen being in the "we'll get around to it" category. Then again, I could be pretty easily convinced that the first season didn't do well enough for season 2 to get dubbed at all.

It's funny that you say that, since Funimation just announced a couple of hours ago that they will be simul-dubbing it starting tomorrow.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that the eng dub is finally coming out. I kinda avoided watching this season until it did cause I could barely handle all the infodumps in season 1 without the dub lol. Though this review doesn't exactly inspire confidence, I enjoyed season 1 enough despite how badly it was recieved by most people.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
anime-prime wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

It's funny that you say that, since Funimation just announced a couple of hours ago that they will be simul-dubbing it starting tomorrow.

God that's unfortunate, ah well deadlines are a bitch like that.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I wish they had kept the dub cast from the original, the dub itself may not have been great, but the casting was. And they could easily gotten back everyone but Spike, who may have been a bit tricky(and honestly wasn't great in the part). I miss Shelly as Cleo and John as Volkan. Don't get me wrong, Brittney Karbowski is a great actress, but never great as male characters. I saw an interview awhile ago where Hillary Haag said that they were disappointed that they were recast.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
anime-prime wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

What timing! Obviously, my original assertions about the lack of a dub were incorrect. The article and changelog have been updated accordingly.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, that's a lot of infodumps... I'm quite worried to say the least. I thought the first season was just okay but I was bothered by Orphen himself, he just seemed like a jerk all the time towards the other characters, lots of times unnecessarily so.
I watched the original animes as well and thought they were pretty decent. Not great or anything, but worth a one time watch and much better than this remake.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I wish they had kept the dub cast from the original, the dub itself may not have been great, but the casting was. And they could easily gotten back everyone but Spike, who may have been a bit tricky(and honestly wasn't great in the part). I miss Shelly as Cleo and John as Volkan. Don't get me wrong, Brittney Karbowski is a great actress, but never great as male characters. I saw an interview awhile ago where Hillary Haag said that they were disappointed that they were recast.
I was also really disappointed they recast everyone except David Matranga as Orphen. Especially Volcan, a female voice just sounds so wrong for him. Really a shame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Why is Brittney playing dudes lately? It pretty much killed any interest I had left in the UQ Holder anime, and that was pretty damn low to begin with. And Volcan was arguably the best part of the original Orphen!
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:15 am Reply with quote
I really don't understand Azalie/Azari in this version of the anime. Does this season elaborate on what is her desire? She changed bodies with Childman (mother of names...) resulting into a really chaotic scenarios and later created a clone of Orphen that haunts the guy across season 1.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
The original series was a sort of guilty pleasure for me. I still have the DVD singles for both seasons. I've been hesitant to start the first season of the reboot. I wanted to wait and see if it went anywhere and at least remained enjoyable. From the sounds of it season 2 here is taking a bit of a nosedive. Doesn't exactly give me a lot of motivation to start season 1 of the reboot. I still wonder why this series got a reboot, compared to many others of its time.
fudish 123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:00 am Reply with quote
How the hell did he rate the animation for season 2 as C- while season 2 being a B when it's clear that season 2 had a considerate leap on improving animation quality from season 1? Geez
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1