• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fist of the North Star GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
A classic, good thing they are doing an official release!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to finally owning this manga, and in such a nice looking hardcover package, at that. While Fist owes a lot of its style to previous works, especially prior Jump manga, it is without a doubt the series that truly took everything that had come before from the likes of Team Astro, Ring ni Kakero, Kinnikuman, & Fuma no Kojiro, and removed any & all elements of the sports genre from it (as even FnK started off with a school/sports motif early on), truly creating "shonen action" as we know it.

The fact that it still holds up well as a story on its own, despite a bit of a rough start early on, no doubt also helps. I believe this first book covers up through the stuff with Shin, which definitely is done rather quickly, likely on the off chance that the manga got cancelled early on, so after Shin it kind of enters a little bit of a lull before truly spreading its wings & flying high from then on out (at least, until the last few volumes, but that's more than understandable). It'll be great to read this when my copy arrives.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
The fact that it still holds up well as a story on its own, despite a bit of a rough start early on, no doubt also helps. I believe this first book covers up through the stuff with Shin, which definitely is done rather quickly, likely on the off chance that the manga got cancelled early on, so after Shin it kind of enters a little bit of a lull before truly spreading its wings & flying high from then on out (at least, until the last few volumes, but that's more than understandable). It'll be great to read this when my copy arrives.

I'd say more than just the last few volumes. Hara and Buronson were pretty clearly ready to get things over with after Raoh; they were just even more fed up after Shura.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
The legend of legends. The Japanese version of the Bible is here.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
The legend of legends. The Japanese version of the Bible is here.

Not exactly, as even Shueisha has advertised Masami Kurumada's Ring ni Kakero as the "Hot-Blooded Fighting Manga Bible", but Fist of the North Star is the one that looked at what was established with RnK & took it all to the next level, without a doubt.

Also, Fist has a character who's literally best described as "Kung-Fu Jesus" in it, so there's that.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Me: Pinch me, I must be dreaming!
Ken: You're already dead...
Me: NANI!?!

In all seriousness this is one of 2 titles (Hajime no Ippo being the other one) that I thought would never be officially released here.
RohanDiamond

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The outside of the book and the actual artwork look incredible, but I'm sorely disappointed by the way the sound effects look. Like, they're stretched out in weird ways and hard to read. I get it that they're not covering up the original artwork, but the Japanese sound effects were part of the art.
The English sound effects in this new release don't look like they're part of the art at all, they look like they're something digital slapped on top. But not even slapped on top in a way that they're easy to read.
Super happy to finally have a way to read the full thing in English, but I wish the sound effects weren't so intrusive.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Between this and the Spring Manga Guide reviews, I think I may finally give Fist of the North Star a try sometime, especially now that I'm catching up on older/classic manga I missed in the past.

Besides, the last highly-lauded and groundbreaking 80s Jump series I read was Kimagure Orange Road, and that ended up being wonderful. It's very different from FotNS, sure, but still!

ZelosZoidberg wrote:
In all seriousness this is one of 2 titles (Hajime no Ippo being the other one) that I thought would never be officially released here.

This is one of those two long classic series that I thought would never be published here to completion, Urusei Yatsura being the other one.

Let's see if Viz can pull it off for both of them!
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is one of those two long classic series that I thought would never be published here to completion, Urusei Yatsura being the other one.

Let's see if Viz can pull it off for both of them!
I see you're a man/woman/they of great taste! I'm slowly but surely working my way through that one (omibus vol 6 and I've seen all the anime episodes). While I've given up on Hajime no Ippo mainly because it's so damn loooooooonnnnng, I'm glad I have this and Urusei Yatsura finally added. If I can just have Outlanders re-released I can die a happy man
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Not exactly, as even Shueisha has advertised Masami Kurumada's Ring ni Kakero as the "Hot-Blooded Fighting Manga Bible", but Fist of the North Star is the one that looked at what was established with RnK & took it all to the next level, without a doubt.

It is wild to think of just how much the "Shonen Jump action manga" evolved from, like, 1977 through 1986. RnK, Cobra, Kinnikuman, Captain Tsubasa, FotNS, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya…I'm not sure shonen manga's ever had such a game-changing decade since. (Back when Time Paradox Ghostwriter was running, I mused that it would've been interesting to set it toward the end of 1976 instead of the present day, with the protagonist getting the issue with JoJo #1 -- but drawing inspiration from the aggregate of Future Jump instead of just one series.)

Mind you, of those, I've only read DB and the first 10 volumes of Saint Seiya. So I don't really have a great grasp of what each manga in turn contributed to the genre. (I know I've seen Seiya mentioned as popularizing the heroes being part of a larger organization and having prettier character designs.) I imagine the question is complicated some by the fact that newer series could influence older ones that were still running, like how DBZ poached the lead staff of the Saint Seiya anime.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

I'd say more than just the last few volumes. Hara and Buronson were pretty clearly ready to get things over with after Raoh; they were just even more fed up after Shura.

Well, the fight spoiler[between Kenshiro and Raoh] would have been the perfect closure for the manga, the second part feels a bit unnecessary and sometimes uninspired, but still I liked some characters and some ideas. Shame that in the second part spoiler[Nanto becomes irrelevant, and in the end it's all a Hokuto vs Hokuto struggle, which gets old pretty quickly. Also the retcon about Kenshiro, Raoh and Toki's origins...]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1