• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy IX Game to Get Animated Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
*Huge line of cook being snorted*
So hear me out, we make a TV show for kid based on a video game that came out before the target audience was even alive, sounds great right?

Sigh, I will never understand SE. They sit on one of the most valuable IP in video game world and seem to have absolutely no idea what to do with it (point at CHAOS! trailer). I was gonna say something about drawing piece of paper out of an hat to find idea, but honestly that sound like it would achieve better results.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, this came out of nowhere. Just earlier this year I started playing FFIX, though I had to put it on hold, still I know it's Sakaguchi's favourite title and I always liked its artstyle. A remake would've been nice, but if it's getting a series at least that means that Square remembers it. Now is this going to be an adaptation of the game, a continuation or a side-story? Also, I know that despite it's colorful graphics and artsytle the game can get pretty dark and it got T rating, if the series is aimed at children this means that they're going to make some changes to the story?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
...Well, this is kind of random.

I love FF9, but not sure what to expect from this. I don't think there's necessarily much in the game that would preclude a true to source adaption aimed at that age group. And animated by a French studio?

Will they get Zidane and Kuja's Dissidia VA's back for this?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:23 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So hear me out, we make a TV show for kid based on a video game that came out before the target audience was even alive, sounds great right?

I mean DragonQuest Dai got a new series eventhough the original manga and animes were made before the next generation of it's target audience was born.

meiam wrote:

Sigh, I will never understand SE. They sit on one of the most valuable IP in video game world and seem to have absolutely no idea what to do with it (point at CHAOS! trailer).

.........That's your bar not stuff like Theatrhythm or the last Dissidia game?
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:06 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Sigh, I will never understand SE. They sit on one of the most valuable IP in video game world and seem to have absolutely no idea what to do with it (point at CHAOS! trailer). I was gonna say something about drawing piece of paper out of an hat to find idea, but honestly that sound like it would achieve better results.

The same thing with the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters they're releasing. Why on earth are they releasing it on Mobile and Steam only? Why wouldn't they release that on the Nintendo Switch, especially in a physical edition that includes Final Fantasy 1-6? Are they idiots or something? Do they not like money? They ported Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 to the Switch. It makes no sense.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

That actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it. Kids who haven't played the game are more likely to be invested in the story since they've haven't experienced it yet, and adults who have will tune in for the nostalgia value.

This is basically no different from how they keep rebooting cartoon franchises like Transformers or Ninja Turtles or My Little Pony. They're always aimed at kids who weren't alive when the original show came out, but they keep being hits anyway because they're popular with all ages.

meiam wrote:
They sit on one of the most valuable IP in video game world and seem to have absolutely no idea what to do with it

Looking at the last few major releases in the franchise, FF15 was the fastest-selling game in the franchise, until that record was broken by FF7 Remake. And yeah, that "GOTTA KILL CHAOS" trailer was a little silly, but hey, people are still talking about it a week later, aren't they? How many of the dozens of games shown at E3 can you say that about? FF is doing just fine.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
This is basically no different from how they keep rebooting cartoon franchises like Transformers or Ninja Turtles or My Little Pony. They're always aimed at kids who weren't alive when the original show came out, but they keep being hits anyway because they're popular with all ages.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of those properties feature on-screen genocide like FF9.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
im kinda excited for this. its my second favorite FF after 8 and as long as they keep the soundtrack from the original game i dont see a downside too it....yet.

theyd have to eliminate some things to make it more kid friendly but they could also add more parts to it including a more in depth look into Freya and Fratley relationship which always felt poorly explained in the game.
Ralph Snackshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, gotta love FF fans amiright? One wrong/slightly odd move and suddenly its “OMG the franchise is dead! What is SE thinking!” Nevermind the popularity and acclaim of VII Remake or everything Yoshi-P touches. Somehow we’re always teetering on the brink of irrelevance even when pop culture at large continually proves that brands never die. But I digress.

In any event, I’m very excited by the prospect of this. FFIX is my all time favorite and while I haven’t heard of Cyber Group Studios, a look at some of their work shows a diversity of art style if nothing else, so I’ll be cautiously optimistic.

As for the target age demo, I actually feel like it makes sense having recently replayed the game. Heck I remember the first time I played it I thought it felt like a lost kids film, so I don’t think its too out of left field. While it was rated T, it was only for ‘Animated Violence’ and ‘Mild Language’. It’s pretty much just members of Tantalus saying a four letter word that starts with S a few times and one shot of Kuja’s head bleeding. That’s kind of it.

Yes it IS a dark game that touches on heavy topics, but its not edgy or gruesome. It presents and deals with its subject matter very thoughtfully without being gratuitous or too high-minded. You can make a show for 8-13 year olds and still get those themes across just fine. Its not like its never been done before. And its not as if the French are strangers to mature storytelling in kids cartoons, just look at films like ‘Ernest and Celestine’ or ‘Calamity Jane’. I’m not saying they absolutely won’t screw it up or dumb it down, again I’m just being cautiously optimistic.
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this means a new game project is in the works as well. We essentially got the World Ends With You anime to get people brought up to speed for the the games sequel which comes out either this month or next month.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a fine idea to me. FFIX's story (especially the early-to-mid portions) and characters should be a good fit for a kid's show. I think a good deal of it will translate rather easily.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Yo bring it on. I heard plenty of good stuff about the story so this should be fun.

JoelBurger wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of those properties feature on-screen genocide like FF9.

Though Avatar The Last Airbender also featured the genocide of the Airbenders and that show was also for young kids as well.
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:13 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

There is a logic to it. Cyber Group Studios president Pierre Sissman talks about the series in terms of "strong co-viewing potential". AKA, the hope is that parents will want to watch the show with their kids. If you think of it mathematically, a lot of the people who grew up with Final Fantasy IX are now parents, so it makes sense.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:45 am Reply with quote
TheCanipaEffect wrote:
meiam wrote:

There is a logic to it. Cyber Group Studios president Pierre Sissman talks about the series in terms of "strong co-viewing potential". AKA, the hope is that parents will want to watch the show with their kids. If you think of it mathematically, a lot of the people who grew up with Final Fantasy IX are now parents, so it makes sense.

It's not different than if they made it a new FF entry. The incredible strength of the FF IP is that it can be an entirely new story/character/world and it'll still feel like an FF title since none of them are directly related to each others and the audience as accepted that. This is what I mean when I say SE has no idea how to use the brand. So parent who grew up playing FF are still likely to tune in to an original story just because it's called "final fantasy". However making it based on FF9 specifically means:

1) Lose people who didn't like FF9.
2) Story is ill adapted for a kid show, tons of murder/genocide (it probably has one of the highest death count of any FF), Zidane is a player, story will be really hard to adapt to a show format.
3) The game already exist, has already seen plenty of sale, aged graphic and doesn't sell for full price. If they make a new story they can make a game based on it down the line and see plenty of sale. But because the game is already out they're forgoing plenty of sales. They could also tie the show to a soon to be release game for cross promotion potential. They could make a sequel/side story, but again FF brand means you don't attract more people with direct sequel than you do with new entry (see FF10-2 and 13-2/3 selling way less than 10 and 13 and that FF12 side game that almost no one remember).

The only way this could make sense is if Square enix believe they currently are so inept at making story they do not believe they could make a story of similar value than FF9. If that's the case that's really sad, but also might very well be spot on.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:10 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
TheCanipaEffect wrote:
meiam wrote:

It's not different than if they made it a new FF entry. The incredible strength of the FF IP is that it can be an entirely new story/character/world and it'll still feel like an FF title since none of them are directly related to each others and the audience as accepted that. This is what I mean when I say SE has no idea how to use the brand. So parent who grew up playing FF are still likely to tune in to an original story just because it's called "final fantasy". However making it based on FF9 specifically means:

1) Lose people who didn't like FF9.
2) Story is ill adapted for a kid show, tons of murder/genocide (it probably has one of the highest death count of any FF), Zidane is a player, story will be really hard to adapt to a show format.
3) The game already exist, has already seen plenty of sale, aged graphic and doesn't sell for full price. If they make a new story they can make a game based on it down the line and see plenty of sale. But because the game is already out they're forgoing plenty of sales. They could also tie the show to a soon to be release game for cross promotion potential. They could make a sequel/side story, but again FF brand means you don't attract more people with direct sequel than you do with new entry (see FF10-2 and 13-2/3 selling way less than 10 and 13 and that FF12 side game that almost no one remember).

The only way this could make sense is if Square enix believe they currently are so inept at making story they do not believe they could make a story of similar value than FF9. If that's the case that's really sad, but also might very well be spot on.

Or maybe let’s here this out, they wanted to make a TV show based on one of the games and picked one of the more low key but well received installments to make a show out of.

Absolutely nothing about this strikes as any sign of massive incompetence that you keep prattling on about. Tellingly I’ve seem more interest/optimism in this announcement than anything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3