• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Tokyo Gear Rising: Revengereance

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's sadder, peaking in middle school, or thinking you peaked in middle school...?

Middle school? Hell, I peaked in fifth grade.

Anyway, I really like this series and hope they figure out a way to release it with the manji or if they can't, at least do better editing it out.

They can keep the balloon pants, but I so want a pair of those white boots...
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:14 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for Jotaro since I have yet to watch JJBA, but as an autistic person myself, I definitely headcanon Mikey as being on the autism spectrum.

Also (manga spoilers) spoiler[The "even though they just stole your bike" part is a funny joke but also ironic considering some events in the next story arc.]
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:36 am Reply with quote
JadeDahlia wrote:
I can't speak for Jotaro since I have yet to watch JJBA, but as an autistic person myself, I definitely headcanon Mikey as being on the autism spectrum.

Also (manga spoilers) spoiler[The "even though they just stole your bike" part is a funny joke but also ironic considering some events in the next story arc.]

The subtext is a lot stronger in the manga than it is in the anime; the manga points out in one of the little character bios that Jotaro doesn't emote much because he assumes people can just tell how he's feeling and dislikes "noisy girls" (which can be interpreted as him being sensitive to overstimulation--this meshes really well with him not being comfortable with his mother's public displays of affection). You could also reasonably interpret his "If I don't like a meal, I don't pay for it" logic as just a difficulty to grasp social mores.

I'm glad others see Mikey as possibly on the spectrum. The idea that his neurodivergence combined with a lack of understanding/accomodation from teachers led to his lashing out as a delinquent adds an interesting wrinkle to his characterization.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1