• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window BL Mystery TV Anime's Teaser Unveils Cast, Staff, Octo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hijikata12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
Been looking forward to this, i'm glad it is starting this year instead of next year like sasaki to miyano(i hate waiting). Modern BL themed animes are genuinely getting a lot better, i think the improvment started with Yuri on ice. Then from there we have had Given,Banana fish and the movie Saezuru tori wa habatakanai which were all great in my opinion. Hitorijime no hero and letranger were decent as well.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
I don't think any change started with Yuuri on Ice, more like, the change started when producers and production companies realized that female viewers in general, and even BL fans in particular, want high quality anime too-- I mean, are a significant enough buying force to be worth catering to, as shown by shows like Tiger & Bunny, Hetalia, Free, etc. Yuuri on Ice was simply the first show that managed to secure the budget, production weight, and by extension the hype(!) necessary to be on the level of really mainstream shows. And with the show actually being on TV there was more consideration done as to what can be adapted and what couldn't, which, coupled with the general BL boom of the past decade or so, resulted in shows that have a different feel than what there were previously.

(I mean, it's not like there were no well-done BL anime out there before YoI. Gravitation and Mirage of Blaze, or even No.6, weren't much worse than any other decently-budgeted-decently-produced anime of their time. No.6 in particular looked really nice.)
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:42 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for this. I love mystery and I love BL so this is just a match made in heaven for me.
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Will this finally be the Japanese BL anime to capture my heart? Over the last couple of years I've been drifting towards Chinese BL/Danmei because I was dissapointed by anime adaptations of titles I even genuinely liked (i.e.Given). But this looks genuinely intriguing, and I've heard good things about the manga. Umibe no Etranger also looks gorgeous, so looking forward to that when it's out.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
The live action was really disappointing. I hope this version will be more interesting.
25thchestnut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Hoping this adaptation does the manga justice! The story does have a slow start, but as it develops the character writing in particular proves to be very well done. I'm surprised the manga doesn't have more of a cult following amongst English speaking readers - not even enough for it to have a print release in English yet despite its consistent digital releases for a few years now. Hopefully the anime will change that!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1