• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video to Stream Final Evangelion Film on August 13

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
I didn't see this coming.

And there will be multiple dubs as well? I wonder what cast they'll use for the English dub. I'd have to imagine Khara might have some involvement in that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
Which English dub cast, I wonder? I actually prefer the new VSI cast (more nuance), but they might as well have let Funimation finish dubbing the movies, for consistency's sake. Unless they've gone back and redubbed the previous movies with the VSI cast, too.

As long as the Japanese version is there, I'll be set. Nobody beats Megumi Ogata and Kotono Mitsuishi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
But will we get a Blu-ray out of this too?
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
I did not expect this so soon, and on Prime Video of all places. Then again, more than likely this is Khara putting it up to stream on APV rather than Amazon licensing it themselves since they wouldn't want to give it to Funi after the 3.0 dub situation.
pi8you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
But will we get a Blu-ray out of this too?

I'm disappointed this probably means no theatrical release, but yeah, this is by far my bigger concern.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:48 am Reply with quote
This has been rumored for a while. Supposedly the dub was done before the theatrical release in Japan. There were also rumblings that the entire movie series was redubbed, but that could just be speculation.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
So, this will be billed as a Prime Original, and if so, does that mean that it will get dubbed in various languages? Because the studio that dubbed the Netflix version of Renewal in Neutral Spanish does work for Prime Video. I wish it gets dubbed, although the neutral spanish dub for the Rebuild has been very inconsistent, only Shinji has been voiced by the same voice actor in all the series and movies, and I wouldn't mind if they use the same cast from the Netflix dub since it brought back actors who worked in the original dub from the late 90s (Rei, Fuyutsuki, Makoto) and the second dub from the late 00s (Misato, Asuka, Kaji, Aoba, Kensuke), though I wish Gendo's original voice actor would come back, he voiced
him in the first and second dub of the series and the third Rebuild movie but was replaced for the Netflix dub.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
This has been rumored for a while. Supposedly the dub was done before the theatrical release in Japan. There were also rumblings that the entire movie series was redubbed, but that could just be speculation.

Considering what came out with 3.33's 4K version, they would have to be redubbed (or at least that film needed to if that version is used).

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Netflix cast given Khara was involved with the TV dub's casting.

Silver Kirin wrote:
So, this will be billed as a Prime Original, and if so, does that mean that it will get dubbed in various languages? Because the studio that dubbed the Netflix version of Renewal in Neutral Spanish does work for Prime Video. I wish it gets dubbed, although the neutral spanish dub for the Rebuild has been very inconsistent, only Shinji has been voiced by the same voice actor in all the series and movies, and I wouldn't mind if they use the same cast from the Netflix dub since it brought back actors who worked in the original dub from the late 90s (Rei, Fuyutsuki, Makoto) and the second dub from the late 00s (Misato, Asuka, Kaji, Aoba, Kensuke), though I wish Gendo's original voice actor would come back, he voiced
him in the first and second dub of the series and the third Rebuild movie but was replaced for the Netflix dub.

It's in the article

Quote:
The film will stream with dubs in 10 languages including English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian. The film will also stream in Japanese with subtitles in 28 languages.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
It's in the article
Quote:
The film will stream with dubs in 10 languages including English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian. The film will also stream in Japanese with subtitles in 28 languages.

I didn't notice it, thanks. Still, I hope that the Netflix cast will be reprise their roles, and at least we didn't have to wait so long for the movie to be released outside of Japan.
YROSHIKU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
awesome Cool !! and that's what I'm talking about! now those are some good news!
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I did not expect this so soon, and on Prime Video of all places. Then again, more than likely this is Khara putting it up to stream on APV rather than Amazon licensing it themselves since they wouldn't want to give it to Funi after the 3.0 dub situation.
I still dont get what happened with that movie 3 dub situation. Anyone care to explain? All i know is that I had to wait for a longggggg time. xD.
phantom360

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
Makes 0 sense to me I thought Khara wanted to make money this is terrible marketing. They pick a stream service that isn't known for it's anime selection at all and that you gotta pay to watch more than half their library for.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Which English dub cast, I wonder? I actually prefer the new VSI cast (more nuance), but they might as well have let Funimation finish dubbing the movies, for consistency's sake. Unless they've gone back and redubbed the previous movies with the VSI cast, too.

Heh “nuance” but also “highly literal translation”, pick one. Laughing

All jokes aside hopefully the original cast returns. They dubbed the previous movies, no reason why they can’t return and finish the job.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:
I still dont get what happened with that movie 3 dub situation. Anyone care to explain? All i know is that I had to wait for a longggggg time. xD.

From what I remember, the original theatrical dub of 3.0 was more comedic and when representatives from Khara saw people laughing in the audience they were horrified. Becuase of that they went and rewrote the entire script and redubbed it to be a lot more literal It's the same reason the Netflix dub/sub is also more literal.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure I got this info third hand.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:54 am Reply with quote
phantom360 wrote:
Makes 0 sense to me I thought Khara wanted to make money this is terrible marketing. They pick a stream service that isn't known for it's anime selection at all and that you gotta pay to watch more than half their library for.

What are you talking about? Amazon will have paid a lot for global (excluding Japan and China) streaming rights.

Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-Hen did what? $114 million outside of Japan so they would see after theatre chains take their 50% cut $57 million from which all the global distribution and marketing costs have to come out of which have to be in the tens of millions.

Selling to Amazon means they get a big fat check and don't have to worry about distribution or marketing Amazon deals with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5