• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse Unveils Original Anime Film 'Goodbye, Don Glees!' Set in Iceland

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemuszynski

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:20 am Reply with quote
I’ve been wondering what her next project would be. Can’t wait to see this.
kuma991

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:18 am Reply with quote
Another anime set in places the Japanese have slim to no idea about, except seeing a few pictures online. Over here we call that cultural appropriation, but for them it's just "cool". If you'll be taking liberties with people's culture and history, better make it entirely fictional and cut ties with actual places and people.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:
Another anime set in places the Japanese have slim to no idea about, except seeing a few pictures online. Over here we call that cultural appropriation, but for them it's just "cool". If you'll be taking liberties with people's culture and history, better make it entirely fictional and cut ties with actual places and people.

Let's not jump into conclusions. We don't even know anything about the story yet, not even the characters, except that it takes place in Iceland. It's a setting so rare, the only one I know about from the back of my head is Vinland Saga, that takes place a thousand years ago. At the very least it's not a Not!Monaco or an entirely fictional Middle Eastern/African country, which happens too often. I trust in the director of this one, she did her research with Yorimoi.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote
@kuma991

Quote:
Over here we call that cultural appropriation, but for them it's just "cool".

Newsflash: Japan has always borrowed cultural aspects from foreign countries and integrated them into its own culture, see f.e. the chinese characters and later foreign fiction novels translated (and sometimes slightly transformed) into japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joemuszynski

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote
As your name is "kuma" can we assume you are from Japan, bear, or are you just using that name?
Matros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:

Everyone reading the comment section. Please don't ever be as miserable as this person.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:29 am Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:

Lol if you're trying to stand up for cultural sensitivity, making blanket statements about "the Japanese" is a bad way to go about it. For another, having a story set somewhere besides where the creator lives is a pretty common scenario in...all media, from around the world.
Mm-17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:45 pm Reply with quote
People just want to be offended by everything these days smh

Anyways, 4 years after her latest work (Yorimoi), Ishizuka finally return with another original anime, this time in the form of a movie that she'll be writing the script for on top of directing.
Already my most anticipated anime of 2022 and I can't wait, please be good.
taishou*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for this. Iceland is such a rich and beautiful country and Ishizuka is such a talented director, I'm excited to see how it will turn out.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Let's stick to the topic and stop with the bait comments, or responses to such posts.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:12 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Lol if you're trying to stand up for cultural sensitivity, making blanket statements about "the Japanese" is a bad way to go about it. For another, having a story set somewhere besides where the creator lives is a pretty common scenario in...all media, from around the world.
This guy person gets it, plenty of countries make films/shows/books/video games set in foreign countries.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
I trust in the director of this one, she did her research with Yorimoi.

Given the presence of Ketilsson's phone box sculpture in the poster, it looks like she's done as well with this work too. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1