• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sore Demo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru Anime Reveals Staff, Visual, July 2022 Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:34 am Reply with quote
Looks cute! Silver Link seems like a good fit.
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:49 am Reply with quote
The manga was pretty fun but I think Takagi was the better of the two
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
It looks like the official English-language title is When Will Ayumi Make His Move? (or, at the very least, that's what Kodansha USA is going with for the manga release).
shosakukan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the title, there are wordplays in the Japanese title of the 'それでも歩は寄せてくる' (Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru) manga and anime.
The given name of the protagonist 田中歩 is 歩 Ayumu, and the kanji '歩' can be read also as 'fu', and the word '歩' (fu) means a shōgi piece which is equivalent to chess' pawn.
'寄せ' (yose) in the title can be interpreted also as the shōgi term '寄せ' (yose).
The shōgi term '寄せ' (yose) means that a shōgi player moves a shōgi piece in a process toward checkmating the opposing player's king or in a way where it is difficult for the opposing player to defend.
So the title of the manga/anime can be interpreted both as 'Ayumu moves a shōgi piece (perhaps 歩 fu) in a process toward checkmating the king of the heroine Yaotome Urushi' and as 'Ayumu approaches the heroine Yaotome Urushi in a rom-com sense.'

The given name of the heroine Yaotome Urushi has the same pronunciation as 漆 urushi has, and 漆 urushi is japan/Japanese lacquer.
The characters on middle-quality/high-quality shōgi pieces are written with urushi, and the squares on middle-quality/high-quality shōgi boards are drawn with urushi.
Like Ayumu and Urushi, some characters in Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru have shōgi-related elements in their names.
ScorpionCocktail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:32 am Reply with quote
I wonder who might be Ayumu's seiyuu? My guess is either: Azumi Waki, Marika Kouno, Kaede Hondo, Yumiri Hanamori, someone with only minor roles so far, or one of the seiyuus from the third Love Live group (Nijigasaki).
shosakukan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:43 am Reply with quote
When Kōdansha's Magazine Channel posted a video about the Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru manga on YouTube in 2019, Iguchi Yuka did the voice of Yaotome Urushi. Yasumoto Hiroki did the voice of Tanaka Ayumu.
When Kōdansha's Magazine Channel posted a video about the anime adaptation of the Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru manga on YouTube in 2021, Kohara Konomi did the voice of Yaotome Urushi. Hosoya Yoshimasa did the voice of Tanaka Ayumu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1