• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: hololive Stops Accepting Presents Due to Misuse of SmartTags to Track Talents

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
A pity, but security is paramount. A lot of Vtubers I follow don't even bother with PO Boxes because they don't want to run the risk of people sending them nasty stuff in the mail.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
That is terrifying, I never even thought about people putting trackers in fanmail gifts, jeez…
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:53 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the sent from Amazon criteria could be circumvented by establishing an Amazon store account, purchase the "gift" from your own said store, and since you're the store owner you would be the one mailing it so you could still put a tracker in it?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:56 am Reply with quote
You would think that there should be some way to detect such a thing.
ChomboTheMahjongSpider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:43 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

It's trivial to do so with the right equipment, but screening packages isn't free, and Cover is a business. Accepting these packages doesn't directly earn them any money (and may even hurt profits by redirecting fans' money that otherwise would have been spent buying official merch or superchats), so the cost:benefit analysis is stacked against spending money on screening equipment.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:12 am Reply with quote
I've seen this happen with some YouTubers before. People would send things like phones or GPS devices to their PO box and hope they bring it to their actual home before opening it so they can find their address. Sneaky, but yeah, better safe than sorry. Same reason people won't eat any food they get sent even if it's pre-packaged and sealed.
c933103

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

There are ways to block your own device from relaying the signal, but you cannot prevent the signal get relay through your neighbor's phone or through pedestrian passing by when the deliveryman is making delivery, which would narrow down the target's address to at least the.block they're living in
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't blame them. Stalking and doxxing are big problems. I looked into this following the policy change, and considering that those tags are designed to be pretty discreet, I can easily understand where they wouldn't want to invest the time to look over items or have to buy something to detect them. Letters and cards would be a lot simpler to check since anything that doesn't feel like paper would be suspect.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:58 pm Reply with quote
@c933103

I wasn't suggesting they give them to the talent. That would be the last thing you would do.

However, if you can detect them, you can take them off and have fun with them. Give the presents to anyone that could use them, like an assisted living facility or a home for the mentally bewildered. Collect the tags and pay a fish seller in the local market to store them or give them to the police. Pay a long haul truck driver to take them to the far reaches of the country.

Probably not worth the effort but the possibilities are endless.
arnoldstrife

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Airtags really changed the game. Usually, for a GPS tracker, you can leave a package sitting in the office for a week and that would drain most batteries of a reasonable size (reasonable being you won't notice something off if there was a big chunk in the middle of a teddy bear). GPS trackers need to look for GPS and connect to the Cellphone network so pretty high power consumption relatively.

Airtags are tiny, last a really long time, connect only to local devices, spoof their bluetooth ids (ironically for privacy), and are surprisingly accurate and reliable.

That's not to say there is no way of detecting such a thing. There is, and a procedure manually could be made to check it. But how about the next version or next product. Unless someone is constantly keeping up to date on tracking technology something might slip through and it only takes 1 time to really make someone's day horrible. It's why Warner Brother and other big Hollywood studios have mailrooms that have security personal dedicated to such things. I don't blame hololive for not being able to afford such an expense.
c933103

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@c933103

I wasn't suggesting they give them to the talent. That would be the last thing you would do.

However, if you can detect them, you can take them off and have fun with them. Give the presents to anyone that could use them, like an assisted living facility or a home for the mentally bewildered. Collect the tags and pay a fish seller in the local market to store them or give them to the police. Pay a long haul truck driver to take them to the far reaches of the country.

Probably not worth the effort but the possibilities are endless.

Apple AirTag is designed to be impossible to do so unless the owner dissociate the tag from their account first
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:33 am Reply with quote
@c933103

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not suggesting that the tracking device be repurposed. What I would do is detach it from the intended present and physically put it someplace unexpected. That way when the user tried to track the idol he would find himself in the middle of a fish market or worse. The air tracker is a physical item. It can only tell you where it is physically.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1