• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Honor Student at Magic High School

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
she is constantly pining after Tatsuya while he is oblivious (or at least pretending to be oblivious) to her affections.

I still don't get why the first season skipped the summer break volume. spoiler[Honoka confesses to Tatsuya there. He actually knows what's coming too when she's asks to speak to him alone. He turns her down, of course, but does explain that he's incapable of strong emotions and thus can only like her as a friend. She takes it well and gets his permission to keep loving him until she finds someone else.]

Though the problematic thing about her feelings is spoiler[that elemental families like hers were genetically conditioned to have absolute loyalty to their chosen master, who is Tatsuya in Honoka's case.]

Not likable? She's always been a sweet cinnamon roll.

As for Eimi, she also had her own story in the skipped summer break volume. She even gets a not-Tatsuya love interest.

[Edit: just toned down your language a little. Errinundra.]
IanKen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
That girl has serious mental health issues.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6 Review wrote:
More than any other episode so far, this feels like little more than a paint-by-numbers recap designed to get us from point A to point B.

I think that pretty much sums up the series so far. I'm familiar with the original LNs for this series, but I wasn't familiar with Honor Student manga spin off. I was expecting something more like Railgun from this.

[quote="Vaisaga"]Though the problematic thing about her feelings is spoiler[that elemental families like hers were genetically conditioned to have absolute loyalty to their chosen master, who is Tatsuya in Honoka's case.]

I thought Honoka came from a normal family, but maybe I just forgot that bit.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't think any of the central characters are normal. Anyone who can do magic is the product of a breeding program or genetic manipulation or both.
Kabuby 77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:02 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately I have to note that this series lacks character, it goes on because the original one had managed to conquer viewers with a higher quality. The plot is a succession of events, what little new that is added is dispersed. There is a useless fanservice....
True1AnimeFan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
she is constantly pining after Tatsuya while he is oblivious (or at least pretending to be oblivious) to her affections.

I still don't get why the first season skipped the summer break volume. spoiler[Honoka confesses to Tatsuya there. He actually knows what's coming too when she's asks to speak to him alone. He turns her down, of course, but does explain that he's incapable of strong emotions and thus can only like her as a friend. She takes it well and gets his permission to keep loving him until she finds someone else.]

Though the problematic thing about her feelings is spoiler[that elemental families like hers were genetically conditioned to have absolute loyalty to their chosen master, who is Tatsuya in Honoka's case.]

Not likable? She's always been a sweet cinnamon roll.

As for Eimi, she also had her own story in the skipped summer break volume. She even gets a not-Tatsuya love interest.

[Edit: just toned down your language a little. Errinundra.]

You're completely right. I think it's necessary for this story.
Hopefully it gets a film or ova

As for 'Yamato Nadeshiko', I don't think Miyuki makes a good example of it since she's always been wearing a mask.

I'm too scared to read the spoilers of a LN that never translates but I hope he ends up with Mayumi. Too many teases in Anime and I think Mayumi the perfect fit asides Lina lol
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:17 am Reply with quote
@True1AnimeFan

I think 'Yamato Nadeshiko' is a mask where ever you see it. The only question is if it can be worn without chafing. No woman is that way naturally.

You don't have to read the spoilers of the light novels. The novels themselves are available in hard copy through volume 16 and 17 is due shortly. These should answer your question.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:09 pm Reply with quote
True1AnimeFan wrote:
I'm too scared to read the spoilers of a LN that never translates but I hope he ends up with Mayumi. Too many teases in Anime and I think Mayumi the perfect fit asides Lina lol

Spoilers of that type don't mean much when we're talking about a series that never ends. Considering how Mahouka pulled an Index and just started a sequel series, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the half way point or less.
#softcritter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:24 am Reply with quote
Of course they can't have one episode without mentioning how awesome Tatsuya is. It's even worse than the main series because I feel that worshiping him is the end game of every character arc so far.
Masaomi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
True1AnimeFan wrote:

Spoilers of that type don't mean much when we're talking about a series that never ends. Considering how Mahouka pulled an Index and just started a sequel series, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the half way point or less.

I mean, just the fact that this series is still going strong in terms of Light Novel sales in Japan, and still manages to rank within Top 10 in Sales Charts to this day throughout the entire decade, has already made clear that it's relevance and popularity is well deserving of a sequel and continuation of the series. And according to the Author's words, he'll only stop unless he wants to. And until then, he's just going to continue milking the series til Hype and Popularity wears out. Who knows when that time will come.
Dirtyshadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:44 am Reply with quote
Think character wise it was a bit of a huge out of character stretch to turn Honoka's sensitivity to the light given off by magical spell casting, and straight up upgrading it to the level of Mizuki's eyes that she is seeing ancient spirits and ley lines out of the blue.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Ep13 Review wrote:
It's here that the setup for an actual, exciting climax becomes possible—we even get a never-before-mentioned half-time to the event where the characters have the chance to talk it over and build tension for the coming face-off. After all, without all the other girls getting in her way, Airi could potentially go back to her original strategy—a strategy that allowed her to outscore Miyuki in the preliminaries.

However, despite this perfect setup, the other characters dissipate the tension rather than build it up. It is made perfectly clear that there is no reason to do the second half at all, and that even if Airi went out there solo, Miyuki would still win. This is baffling, especially when the scoreboard shows that Airi is trailing a mere nine points, and I can't help but wonder if this is an animation mistake (It wouldn't be the first in this series); perhaps instead of the score being 49-40 in Miyuki's favor, it was supposed to be 94-40. (After all, in the original series, Miyuki finishes with 99 points total.) As it stands now, the idea that Airi couldn't score 9 points unopposed seems ridiculous.

I feel like the reviewer missed some things. The half time isn't new. The part in the previous episode where Miyuki switched to the flight CAD was during half time.

The other big thing is that the comments about the second half of the match not mattering were for the school competition. First High would get enough points with either a first or second place Mirage Bat win, and therefore there was no meaning for the schools in the match continuing. It is like how Miyuki didn't have to face off with Shizuku, but the two of them wanted to compete for personal reasons.

The last thing I want to say is that Miyuki is being severely underestimated. It isn't that Miyuki can only beat Airi with flight. It is that flight was Miyuki's "serious mode" strategy for competing. This is similar to how Miyuki was seen in Pillars Break. She had a default strategy and a trump card in case she actually needed to try. She would have just ended up with another "serious mode" strat without the flight CAD, but the flight CAD just happens to be what they trained for this year. Miyuki is basically the equivalent to Tatsuya on the female side. She is just better than everyone at everything (except Tatsuya who is the bestest at everything ever).
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
This show was ass. It didn't offer any new real insight into Miyuki's character, it only reaffirmed what we already know: What drives Miyuki is her love for her Onii-sama. Miyuki is so uninteresting and unlikeable as a character. She has no flaws, she's just perfect at everything. And her obsession with Tatsuya gets way too much screen time. Also this spinoff had a lighter tone than the main series and to uphold that tone I feel like the personalities of the characters got simplified to make them more lighthearted. Mayumi just became a kind of goofy teaser, Masaki's only attribute in this spinoff was his crush for Miyuki and Honoka became a fanservicey, always head-over-heels over everything oddball. The show didn't have the aptitude for comedy to justify the lighter tone either.

Also, according to folk on the internet this spinoff was averaging about twice as many utterings of "Onii-sama" as the main series. Double the Onii-samas, halve the fun.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
This show was ass. It didn't offer any new real insight into Miyuki's character, it only reaffirmed what we already know: What drives Miyuki is her love for her Onii-sama. Miyuki is so uninteresting and unlikeable as a character. She has no flaws, she's just perfect at everything.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with this series. I was expecting the Mahouka version of Railgun. However, this spin off doesn't really try to do anything on its own. It does flesh out some scenes for the supporting cast, but it doesn't tell its own story nor does it do anything for the main character's development. Like you said, it just reaffirms that she is a female, incest driven Tatsuya. Apparently this series just skips straight over the first arc that Miyuki really gets to do anything serious in too seeing as how it went straight to Lina showing up.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

The other big thing is that the comments about the second half of the match not mattering were for the school competition. First High would get enough points with either a first or second place Mirage Bat win, and therefore there was no meaning for the schools in the match continuing. It is like how Miyuki didn't have to face off with Shizuku, but the two of them wanted to compete for personal reasons.

You're 100% correct. I totally missed that this is what was going on. Not sure if this was a storytelling problem or a Richard understanding problem but regardless, thanks for pointing this out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2