• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bloom Into You's Nio Nakatani Launches New Manga in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:53 am Reply with quote
Well, that's completely different from her last work especially with the main cast. Anime hyper

I really hope people aren't hard on Nio Nakatani for going to this direction. Yeah, it's a real punch in the gut that it's not another yuri title (though it is up in the air whether that lady is a lesbian or if there will be lesbian side characters), but at least she's trying something different as most artists do.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:19 am Reply with quote
I'll keep an open mind, but I am disappointed that it isn't another Yuri title. Could be interesting though
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:15 am Reply with quote
My immediate reaction was "huh that's weird that looks like a boy"
"no wait it can't be a boy, she draws yuri"
reads article "well that's certainly different"

Honestly I'm interested, I haven't read Bloom Into You yet but pretty much every one of my friends who's watched it says it's amazing so it makes me wonder what direction this will go in.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
I am so glad to see new work from Nakatani
krpalmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
There was a piece in "Farewell to my Alter" with science fiction elements (and others with elements of fantasy), and Nakatani's endnote for the last piece in that collection said "I tried writing some science fiction at first, but it wouldn't come together". For that matter too, some of the pieces had male characters in them (although I have to admit I don't seem to look quite as hard for "slashy vibes" as some people do...) I am interested in the thought of Nakatani trying something different, but aware it's a matter of "the new title doing well in Japan" and it "being licensed for translation" for me to be able to see it myself.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I know that an author can write whatever him wants, but I never expected his new manga to be about a "boy meets girl", I admit I am totally disappointed not even because she didn't make a new yuri, but seriously because she had to choose plot so cliché and overused? There is an excess of stories with this type of argument
>Couldn't the girl be the only protagonist? this is a romcom from the 2000's

I think she lose a part of your audience choosing this kind of story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1