• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll-Hime Launches Virtual YouTuber Channel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I cant wait to ask her why my video is still buffering.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I haven’t seen her debut (nor plan to currently), but I wonder if she’ll be more like Netflix’s N-ko than a more typical vtuber, acting more as a virtual brand ambassador. Not that I think that would be a bad thing, it’s just not what I’m really interested in watching.
r4737

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I haven’t seen her debut (nor plan to currently), but I wonder if she’ll be more like Netflix’s N-ko than a more typical vtuber, acting more as a virtual brand ambassador. Not that I think that would be a bad thing, it’s just not what I’m really interested in watching.

No, she looks like a typical vtuber and is very energetic like other vtuber i like
Netflix N-ko is shit
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
^I’m not really talking about how they present themselves, but rather their content. If it is mostly just promoting Crunchyroll’s catalog of anime and their games, that’s not something I’m that interested in. There is a place for that sort of thing, and CR would make that kind of content one way or another, but that’s not something I would generally watch.
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:38 am Reply with quote
I think this is interesting because it may give us a glimpse into the Funi/CR merger going forward. to start a project like this only to kill it off in a couple months probably wouldn't be worth it. so as i predicated before I think Funimation is going to make Crunchyroll it's streaming arm while Funimation handles all the Dubs and Physical Releases.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:21 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^I’m not really talking about how they present themselves, but rather their content. If it is mostly just promoting Crunchyroll’s catalog of anime and their games, that’s not something I’m that interested in. There is a place for that sort of thing, and CR would make that kind of content one way or another, but that’s not something I would generally watch.

She'll be playing Super Mario Odyssey, Hades, and Phasmophobia this month. Hell, I was surprised when she listed off her favorite anime (which of course was a bunch) there were a few that weren't Crunchyroll/FUNi titles. She seems to be a regular Vtuber, more or less.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1448062466248744960
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
The execs at Crunchyroll likely know it would be a huge failure and totally obvious if she were just shilling Crunchyroll products / anime. It seems like they are going for a more authentic experience. I watched her debut, and it definitely has standard vtuber/hololive vibes (kind of a mesh of the talent's real personality / background / experience and the "character lore" mostly tongue in cheek).

The English Hololive girls seem to "keep it real" to some extent and it seems like Hime will likely do the same. I'm sure there will inevitably be some promotion for Crunchyroll specific stuff, but it looks like she's allowed to talk about any anime.

I really liked her ... IRyS is my favorite HololiveEn streamer, and I feel like Hime has a similar but slightly more upbeat vibe (although maybe the super upbeat-ness was partly nerves / being new). I found her really cute and likeable - felt genuine rather than "corporate shill" like people are bitching and moaning about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1