• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - The Second Act

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RR529

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I want to say I'm glad to see this review popping up. As a big fan of InuYasha I'm still not quite sure how I feel about this series, but after how critical last year's episode reviews were & the fact that it's taken three weeks into the new season for this one to show up, I was afraid the site had dropped it, which is a shame as I think it's important that at least one critical view stick around for the whole thing, as all the other people I've seen still covering it (on YouTube) are just die hard fans (usually of the Sess-Rin ship) that are too forgiving, and it's nice to have that counterbalance.

That said, I do think these first 3 episodes have been a bit better on the whole than season 1. Now maybe I've just gotten used to it, but it does seem that the animation is overall better than S1 (though it definitely still feels B-tier), Towa actually had to struggle to pull something off (in bringing Setsuna back), and they seem to be more focused on following a goal, as ever since Totosai left them with the goal of finding a Kyokun root (I know I misspelled that) the last two episodes (and the next one) seem to all be in service to that.

I don't think I'll be as critical of it this year though, as apparently the studio revealed that Rumiko Takahashi refused to greenlight a sequel centered around InuYasha & Kagome (or their kids) & only agreed to the sequel once they came up with the Sess twins idea (apparently their first pitch was a sequel focusing on InuYasha & Kagome having a son & she turned it down). If true, some of the biggest problems I have with the series are really out of their hands.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I for one am loving this anime. The second season started out strong with great stories, animation and filling in so many questions. Not sure why the reviews on this has so much hate for this or in other word dislike. But it is apparent that whoever is doing these reviews does not like this anime from the get go. Just reading the reviews for the last three episodes it was straight forward dislike from the person doing them. Not sure but I believe we need someone else doing the reviews for this particular anime so we all can get a more objective point of view or review. As far as the characters I am loving them and so glad they went with the direction of Sess's daughters and Inuyash's daughter.
RR529

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I for one am loving this anime. The second season started out strong with great stories, animation and filling in so many questions. Not sure why the reviews on this has so much hate for this or in other word dislike. But it is apparent that whoever is doing these reviews does not like this anime from the get go. Just reading the reviews for the last three episodes it was straight forward dislike from the person doing them. Not sure but I believe we need someone else doing the reviews for this particular anime so we all can get a more objective point of view or review. As far as the characters I am loving them and so glad they went with the direction of Sess's daughters and Inuyash's daughter.

It actually is a different reviewer than who they had last season I believe (and that one was just as critical).
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
RR529 wrote:
TanyaTheEvil wrote:

It actually is a different reviewer than who they had last season I believe (and that one was just as critical).

Yeah, season 1 was reviewed by James Beckett and he really disliked it. Now it's Silverman and she seems to share a similar opinion but I don't know if it will escalate as mindscrew poor Beckett suffered in some episodes due to the show's writing.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

Yeah, season 1 was reviewed by James Beckett and he really disliked it. Now it's Silverman and she seems to share a similar opinion but I don't know if it will escalate as mindscrew poor Beckett suffered in some episodes due to the show's writing.

I do find the story interesting, even if I don't love the characters. I think they have potential, especially the relationship between the twins.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I believe we need someone else doing the reviews for this particular anime so we all can get a more objective point of view or review.

Since you like the series so much and think it has no weaknesses, it would be more useful to the discussion if, instead of just complaining that the reviewer doesn't share your opinion, you could bring up the specific points you disagree with and explain why they miss the mark or are factually wrong. So far all you've given us is that you like it and that some questions have been answered (which the review acknowledged as a plus). I mean, it's perfectly fine to just say you like it and not elaborate further, but not if your complaint is just that the reviewer doesn't share your appreciation of it. Maybe tell us why she/we should?

As for me, I was a little puzzled by Rebecca saying that the blending of the various fairy tale characters was "objectionable," especially after she'd just said it was interesting. When pointed out, that struck me as the most interesting bit (but I always enjoy her analyses via folklore). If it's because the sad ending doesn't match the "Feudal Fairy Tale" tag, that seems unfair since, if I understood correctly, that was Inuyasha's tag, not Yashahime's (I wasn't aware it was either's!). In any case, I'm not sure why such a mismatch would be "objectionable" even with the "least" qualifier. Smile Then again, I'm not even sure it's a mismatch, as some fairy tales I've read I wouldn't say ended "happily ever after" (I'm lookin' at you, Urashima Taro).
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote
RR529 wrote:
I want to say I'm glad to see this review popping up. As a big fan of InuYasha I'm still not quite sure how I feel about this series, but after how critical last year's episode reviews were & the fact that it's taken three weeks into the new season for this one to show up, I was afraid the site had dropped it, which is a shame as I think it's important that at least one critical view stick around for the whole thing, as all the other people I've seen still covering it (on YouTube) are just die hard fans (usually of the Sess-Rin ship) that are too forgiving, and it's nice to have that counterbalance.

That said, I do think these first 3 episodes have been a bit better on the whole than season 1. Now maybe I've just gotten used to it, but it does seem that the animation is overall better than S1 (though it definitely still feels B-tier), Towa actually had to struggle to pull something off (in bringing Setsuna back), and they seem to be more focused on following a goal, as ever since Totosai left them with the goal of finding a Kyokun root (I know I misspelled that) the last two episodes (and the next one) seem to all be in service to that.

I don't think I'll be as critical of it this year though, as apparently the studio revealed that Rumiko Takahashi refused to greenlight a sequel centered around InuYasha & Kagome (or their kids) & only agreed to the sequel once they came up with the Sess twins idea (apparently their first pitch was a sequel focusing on InuYasha & Kagome having a son & she turned it down). If true, some of the biggest problems I have with the series are really out of their hands.

that is quite the theory, but if proven true may explain a lot. and it turn may or may not remove the stigma of this series being a worst version of DBGT!

howerver it might prove all but impossible to change people's minds considering that the majority of the community have declared yashahime non canon due to this "spinoff" being an anime only series like DBGT!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Although it's good that the series is actually setting things up and following through immediately (instead of meandering for 20 episodes), it feels too little too late in places. Like after two cours of our protagonists not caring even a little bit about their family situation, it's way too late to try to inject some pathos about that (as it seems they might try to do next episode).
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
As I said before, I would have been much more patient with Yashahime if I had known from the beginning that it would run for more than one 24-episode season. Episode 3 (or 27) did a pretty good job explaining Sesshoumaru's motivation and other things that the previous season didn't bother addressing, and now I'm more confident that head writer Katsuyuki Sumisawa really thought things through and has a plan.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I love the girls! I might be a bit biased since I’m so excited that we have a shonen action anime starring 3 girls! Who aren’t just there for fan service! And it’s aimed at kids! Representation win! Laughing

Of course, I love Moroha way more than the writers do (they seem to hate her), but I haven’t lost hope yet.

Rebecca, it seems you missed the subtext that Zero isn’t just angry that Sesshomaru had kids with a human woman (*cough* girl, 20 is the age of majority in Modern Japan), but that he didn’t have children with her. Zero very much fits the scorned/jealous (wannabe) lover stereotype. She’s just angry that Sesshomaru rejected her, which is why she chose a punishment that wouldn’t just kill Rin, but would take away Rin’s beauty.

About Sesshomaru: I know if he were able to communicate, we’d need better writers to explain the plot contrivances, but I’m still angry at him for not trying to tell Inuyasha and Kagome about the Red String before locking them up in a Pearl. And leaving poor Moroha without her parents.

I’m not sure what to make of Riku’s connection with Kirinmaru—if Kirinmaru was watching Riku this whole time, why did he not intervene when Riku started helping the girls? Plot hole?
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I believe we need someone else doing the reviews for this particular anime so we all can get a more objective point of view or review.

Since you like the series so much and think it has no weaknesses, it would be more useful to the discussion if, instead of just complaining that the reviewer doesn't share your opinion, you could bring up the specific points you disagree with and explain why they miss the mark or are factually wrong. So far all you've given us is that you like it and that some questions have been answered (which the review acknowledged as a plus). I mean, it's perfectly fine to just say you like it and not elaborate further, but not if your complaint is just that the reviewer doesn't share your appreciation of it. Maybe tell us why she/we should?

As for me, I was a little puzzled by Rebecca saying that the blending of the various fairy tale characters was "objectionable," especially after she'd just said it was interesting. When pointed out, that struck me as the most interesting bit (but I always enjoy her analyses via folklore). If it's because the sad ending doesn't match the "Feudal Fairy Tale" tag, that seems unfair since, if I understood correctly, that was Inuyasha's tag, not Yashahime's (I wasn't aware it was either's!). In any case, I'm not sure why such a mismatch would be "objectionable" even with the "least" qualifier. Smile Then again, I'm not even sure it's a mismatch, as some fairy tales I've read I wouldn't say ended "happily ever after" (I'm lookin' at you, Urashima Taro).

I never said it had no flaws and I am not complaining, however it us very apparent that the reviewer is biased on a negative point. So I will repeat myself. We need a different reviewer someone like Mercedes who will give a non biased opinion. She says both the negatives and positives and when she is giving her opinion she says so. But the person who is doing the review on this anime is straight up biased from the beginning and that I have have a problem with. So instead of attacking me, why don't you read what I said and understand why I said it.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I never said it had no flaws and I am not complaining, however it us very apparent that the reviewer is biased on a negative point. So I will repeat myself. We need a different reviewer someone like Mercedes who will give a non biased opinion. She says both the negatives and positives and when she is giving her opinion she says so. But the person who is doing the review on this anime is straight up biased from the beginning and that I have have a problem with. So instead of attacking me, why don't you read what I said and understand why I said it.

Every opinion is "biased", that's why it's an opinion. At least be honest about this, you're not looking for an "objective" viewpoint (because such a thing is laughable when talking about media analysis and critique), you're looking for validation for your own views.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Episode 3 (or 27) did a pretty good job explaining Sesshoumaru's motivation and other things that the previous season didn't bother addressing, and now I'm more confident that head writer Katsuyuki Sumisawa really thought things through and has a plan.

I'm of the same mind here. I won't dispute the first two episodes being labeled as mediocre, but the third episode was a significant improvement.

I also agree with another poster that Zero's behavior makes a lot more sense if she's look at as a jilted wannabe-lover.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:47 am Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:

Glad you like it and find it entertaining. But the show does have a serious problem for some of us. Mainly the main characters don't behave like people. It's hard to love characters who act like strange creatures. Even some of the background characters also suffer from this. But this was discussed throughout the first season. Hopefully, the second season will make improvements on that, but I am not very confident that they will.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:39 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Rebecca, it seems you missed the subtext that Zero isn’t just angry that Sesshomaru had kids with a human woman (*cough* girl, 20 is the age of majority in Modern Japan), but that he didn’t have children with her. Zero very much fits the scorned/jealous (wannabe) lover stereotype. She’s just angry that Sesshomaru rejected her, which is why she chose a punishment that wouldn’t just kill Rin, but would take away Rin’s beauty.

Oy gevalt, I totally missed that! That casts her as more of a Snow White's Mother character, and that's much more fitting for the whole thing. It's still a trope I dislike - and it fixates on a very shallow view of love - but it works with the whole Little Mermaid bit that was in episode two/twenty-six.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6