• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Plus Movie to Screen in U.S. Theaters on December 14

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I prefer the OVA version, but I'm glad to see Macross finally getting some official love after Harmony Gold screwed it over.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:53 pm Reply with quote
So it this just a random thing for no reason, or part of the HG/Big West peace treaty letting the franchise finally put stuff out in the US legally? I remember the OVA has been her legally for years, but not sure about the TV show.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
If that's the only thing they can get, then those stories about high licensing music costs must be true.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If that's the only thing they can get, then those stories about high licensing music costs must be true.

Where in this article do you see even a hint of this being "the only thing they can get"? Did you think Fathom, an AMC movie theater venture, was going to announce TV series distribution?
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:22 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Where in this article do you see even a hint of this being "the only thing they can get"? Did you think Fathom, an AMC movie venture, is going to announce TV series deals?

he meant the Do you Remember Love movie.Supposedly it's a far more complicated movie to license outside of Japan than any other Macross entry.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Joel: They could bring over the new movie, assuming they can afford it....
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
he meant the Do you Remember Love movie.Supposedly it's a far more complicated movie to license outside of Japan than any other Macross entry.

We already knew from the initial announcement that the original Macross and DYRL remain under the purview of Harmony Gold to do as they wish, hence why it specified Macross content made after 1984 (and why Flashback 2012 was the first thing they released after the news). It's not in any way a sign of exorbitant licensing costs, or whatever other leaps of logic one might make here over nothing and with no evidence.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Macross Delta: Zettai Live! is (as I understand it) a direct sequel, so it's only for people who have seen the TV series - and since it hasn't streamed legally in the States, that's going to be a more limited fanbase. Macross Plus, OTOH, is perfectly accessible even to complete franchise newbies since it's a standalone story. It also has vastly more potential crossover appeal, since it's the kind of story which could work even for non-anime viewers. It's also already dubbed, and it has a good dub, too.

I'd also love to see DYRL in theaters at some point, but this is a good compromise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Key: They can bring over later Gundam shows.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Guess I know what I'll be doing on December 14th....

Can they hurry up an put these shows out on Blu-Ray already?
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Aaaahhhh!
I've recently wanted to watch this!!
And released close to my bday!!~~

Can't wait!!
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Key: They can bring over later Gundam shows.

So? Not all Gundam shows are in the same storyline, much like Macross.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
This is sub only, right? Because I don’t see them getting Bryan Cranston back for this.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
We already knew from the initial announcement that the original Macross and DYRL remain under the purview of Harmony Gold to do as they wish, hence why it specified Macross content made after 1984 (and why Flashback 2012 was the first thing they released after the news). It's not in any way a sign of exorbitant licensing costs, or whatever other leaps of logic one might make here over nothing and with no evidence.

Not exactly. OG Macross is indeed still with Harmony Gold, but DYRL is not. HG never had in the first place, but it was admitted to have its own licensing hurdles, likely because Toho was also involved in it (the old English dub was produced by Toho, for example), so it's not something that Big West can simply do whatever it wants with.

I'm sure DYRL will eventually get released again over here at some point, but I'm sure Big West's priorities right now are towards the titles that it has full control over right now.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember preferring this movie version, but I also remember that it was cheaper to buy one VHS tape than four.

I hope this a precursor to getting both versions of Plus on Blu-Ray over here, maybe with a new English dub (Cranston is a great actor NOW, but not as much back then, and Myung’s VA was awful).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2