• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Far-Right Republican Representative Paul Gosar Posts Anti-Immigrant Parody of Attack on Ti

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Odd choice on Gosar The Gosarian's part, considering that no anime demonstrates the failure of big beautiful walls quite like Attack on Titan.
simona.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote
literally disgusting.
Sarcataclysmal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
wait 'till he finds out eren *isn't* the hero of the story
and that the titans *aren't* the true antagonists of the story

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the american bullshit politics article, was very interesting.
What's next? Articles about trump and biden?
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
what. the heck. is this load of nonsense. I'd be embarrassed if I was that guy, but if I was that guy, I'd want to rethink my life
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
How to tell if someone never watched a show without them telling you they never watched the show.

That said, I'm actually guessing either someone on his staff probably watched Attack on Titan and didn't have the brain-cells to interpret the show beyond the most surface level 'wall-metaphor' from episode one, or they literally just stole the concept from far-right memes from people equally incapable of understanding nuance.

There's a lot of things you could accuse or discuss in relation to how imperialistic AoT's political leanings actually are, but to use it in such a wrongheaded & tasteless way is as imbecilic as it is embarrassing.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(removed)

Seriously, it's a little cringe. Especially for a anime site, just keep things neutral/straight. Not much research done in this article as you've stated.
Try and keep beliefs out of articles and state more facts. Video itself is pretty funny no matter what side did it.
Due to the poor execution of this article, enjoy the massive shit storm that it's going to create. I guess that's what reports want anyway, so..
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Another prime example of a politician trying to latch onto something popular to seem "with it" and not knowing anything about what they're saying and the relation to the material. He just looks like an even bigger idiot.
Scary-Monsters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Illegal Aliens and Immigrants are two different things.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
This literally has nothing to do with the industry. It's not even really anime news unless you're really stretching it
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
510 wrote:
Thanks for the american bullshit politics article, was very interesting.
What's next? Articles about trump and biden?

The site has posted articles when political figures in other countries use anime references, so why would it be improper or forbidden for the site to do it when an American politician uses them? Such previous articles also typically make mention of the political affiliation of the politician in question. So why is that such a problem here, especially since Gosar's politics are directly relevant to why the video is what it is? Mentioning that Gaetz is under investigation is also a fact, and relevant since he's referenced in the video. (Whether or not the charges are merited is an entirely other matter and not the point here.)

EDIT: And as for comments about how the article shouldn't be here or taken down, keep in mind that a very popular OP from a very popular series was used for a political reason. Why wouldn't that be anime news?

So please think about it before cracking off accusations. And mods will be watching this thread, so make sure you behave.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
Quote:
(removed)

Seriously, it's a little cringe. Especially for a anime site, just keep things neutral/straight. Not much research done in this article as you've stated.
Try and keep beliefs out of articles and state more facts. Video itself is pretty funny no matter what side did it.
Due to the poor execution of this article, enjoy the massive shit storm that it's going to create. I guess that's what reports want anyway, so..

Not many on the Left are not going to find images of one of their prominent politicians getting killed "pretty funny," considering how many real-life threats Ocasio-Cortez routinely receives.

If you find a problem with the statements in the article, feel free to challenge them on factual grounds, if you can. But those whining about bias and posting lurid conspiracy theories can expect to see their posts modified or removed, among other consequences.

510 wrote:
Thanks for the american bullshit politics article, was very interesting. What's next? Articles about trump and biden?
7jaws7 wrote:
This is not anime-related news. Please take the article down

It's quite telling that the "keep American politics out of anime" crowd are angrier at ANN for reporting this than at the creators of the video that literally inserted American politics into anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I believe this was the same guy whose own siblings are trying desperately to get kicked out of Congress due to his immorality and incompetence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Articles about Japanese or Korean politicians using anime to gain popularity don't get comments claiming they should be taken down Rolling Eyes

As far as the video itself, it reminds of that Thanos one with Trump, which was funny because it was the scene in Endgame where Thanos lost
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what he would think if fount out thatspoiler[ the people behind the walls are actually Jewish people banished to the island by Nazis who are sending Jewish people to the island and transforming them into titans in hope of wiping out all the inhabitants.] Because that's basically what it is.

[Spoiler tags added ~Zalis]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11