• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is takt op. Destiny A Poor Man's Symphogear?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah Nicky, Symphogear isn't an Idol show. Its a Magical Girl Super Robot Tokusatsu hybrid where the songs happen to be the power source of its main leads. Two of them are idols, but they only do a stage show once a season. Anime hyper

And yes, its better then Takt by proxy of knowing what its about, especially since season 2, and running with it instead of takt's faux philosophical bullshit.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:06 am Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
Yeah Nicky, Symphogear isn't an Idol show. Its a Magical Girl Super Robot Tokusatsu hybrid where the songs happen to be the power source of its main leads. Two of them are idols, but they only do a stage show once a season. Anime hyper

Well except for AXZ.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:37 am Reply with quote
Its a frustrating show. I can see the pieces of something really good here- perhaps a meditation on grief, loss. and mourning via music and bombastic fight scenes. But a lack of really any narrative and very limited character growth makes it much less than the sum of its parts. I still enjoy it- it's a fun one to watch over my lunch break- but its been pretty vapid.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
I personally haven't been watching Takt op because the concept reminded me way too much of Listeners and I don't wanna have to watch something like that again.

Though it seems like Takt op actually remembers that its music hating monsters exist instead of abandoning them for the middle section of the show
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much all hope for Takt op went out the window for me when I realized it was an advertisement for a gacha game that isn't even out yet - and I wish I knew that before going in.

And obviously it's a poor substitute for Symphogear, since Symphogear heavily lifts from Precure (and Suite in particular).

Last edited by JoelBurger on Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueFalcon07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Loved the idea on paper. But couldn't stand the protagonist, he's like, super boring. And the reason you said too. The best characters are the others that aren't named "Takt" oops.
earl.m

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Never seen Symphogear but isn't it a fanservicey yuri-baiting (and at times outright yuri) magical girl show with a (basically) entirely female cast where friendship, happiness, good feelings etc. are a power source? Meanwhile Takt has a male protagonist and is darker (dead parents, morose protagonist, dead/zombie emotionless childhood friend/love interest whose powers are slowly killing the protagonist etc.).

Even the music is different right? Despite the reference to classical symphony in the name, Symphogear is mostly - but not all - pop music while Takt is classical. Which fits the mood ... Symphogear is basically overcoming the circumstances with positivity while Takt just wallows in it.

Different genres, different themes, different target demos ... don't really see the similarity.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
earl.m wrote:
Never seen Symphogear but isn't it a fanservicey yuri-baiting (and at times outright yuri) magical girl show with a (basically) entirely female cast where friendship, happiness, good feelings etc. are a power source? Meanwhile Takt has a male protagonist and is darker (dead parents, morose protagonist, dead/zombie emotionless childhood friend/love interest whose powers are slowly killing the protagonist etc.).

You'd probably want to actually watch the show before making assumptions like this. Even the first episode is enough to disprove these assumptions.
earl.m

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:27 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
earl.m wrote:

You'd probably want to actually watch the show before making assumptions like this. Even the first episode is enough to disprove these assumptions.

I have heard that the show is A LOT better than I make it sound. It had to be good in order to get five seasons. And that the show deals with a lot of tragedy and such, such as the concert scene in the first episode. But still ... high school magical girls wearing "battle armor" that doesn't cover a whole lot, plus the power of music and love wins the day. Plus a ton of yuri subtext among the magical girl team members and some actually start dating each other. Can't be that far off.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
earl.m wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
earl.m wrote:

I have heard that the show is A LOT better than I make it sound. It had to be good in order to get five seasons. And that the show deals with a lot of tragedy and such, such as the concert scene in the first episode. But still ... high school magical girls wearing "battle armor" that doesn't cover a whole lot, plus the power of music and love wins the day. Plus a ton of yuri subtext among the magical girl team members and some actually start dating each other. Can't be that far off.

You just Described why people love it so much. Anime hyper
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
This isn't an amazing anime of the year contender or anything, but I do think it's at least a little better than it gets credit for. I thought the episode 6 underground jazz bar story was one of the more enjoyable "down time" episodes I've seen. I also feel the Symphogear comparisons are flimsy, but if you went into this expecting something like it, I'm not surprised if you're disappointed (it's like being upset Layzner isn't Mazinger Z...like, okay, but c'mon).
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I also think the show is better then is given credit for here. I quite like the characters, except the main villain.

I don't necessarily disagree this is a poor man's Symphogear. But that's ok.
boldulysses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
1 week too early. Episode 8 addressed several of their objections.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:40 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

Well except for AXZ.

Yeah, it was kinda weird AxZ didn't have a performance. I guess they had to mix things up a bit. Still my favorite season though
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:56 pm Reply with quote
For those wondering, including the person from this article. If you enjoy at least one of these things, you'll enjoy Symphogear:
Shonen
Light Magical Girl
Dark Magical Girl
Yuri
Yuri bait
Sentai
Mechs
Trigger
Idol performances
Gorgeous animation
Charmingly mediocre animation
Music
Yuki Aoi
Nana Mizuki
Fanservice
Vague ideas
Specific ideas
Episodic stories
Binge stories
Seasonal arcs
An overarching story
Complex villains
Psychotic crazy villains

Side note: a few cool male characters for good measure

If you enjoy atleast one, you'll enjoy the whole, the series is the perfect package of everything you'll find in anime, even the parts I don't care for like the Fanservice and some of the bait just add to the charm of the series as a whole

10/10 my #2 series of all time, with my #1 character of all time, Hibiki tachibana
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2