• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs Light Novels Get TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not feeling Leon's asshole mode. Don't be fooled by the title, this is a series where a dude gets isekai'd, becomes OP, and woos chicks. It's standard, but reasonably entertaining.
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
And of course the male mc is just another standard black haired boring clone that denied anime diversity.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
BonelessChicken wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
I guess, that's one anime adaptation TO BE SKIPPED. Let's not kid ourselves, the entire raison d'etre of this show is to peddle cute girls. Yet this anime spectacularly failed to do it.
did you only see the visual teaser? I had the same thought but after watching the PV, the poster doesn't do justice especially for Livia and Angelica. I think it's quite the opposite, It's an Otome game, man. The main selling point is of course the men.

Just blasted through the first 4 volumes of the manga (Precisely because the anime is a massive disappointment). The 5 men are really just as generic as they are. The "otome game" is just a pretense, but ultimately this is targeted towards men. I also watched the PV, and it still doesn't change my opinion of the show. The animation is substandard (ENGI shows seems to suffer from that!), and the eyes still looked uncanny even in motion.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading a tiny bit of the manga, finding the general concept amusing, but the execution disappointing and kinda... sexist? But in a pathetic way? It was a shame because the art seemed nice and the idea of a dude going into an otome game (and one his sister forced him to complete 100%) is not a bad idea.

The anime looks like it's keeping the Good Faces (like mc's evil faces) so I guess that's good at least. The KV makes the girls look so scary though. Their eyes look better in the PV but there's still just something off about it. As if they wanted to make the eyes detailed but went too detailed without knowing how to balance it. Like someone said, they look bug-eyed.
joac101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Based on the character designs it seems like this is set on an eroge rather than otome.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Having read the four volumes of the manga and finished with the light novel, I can guarantee that this is...another power fantasy. A guilty pleasure at best if you can get past the borderline misogyny. And I do mean misogyny because the women in this are pretty bad.

Why it's a guilty pleasure? Because of the world building mostly; the world behind the conceit I found fairly intriguing. Kind of a stretch, but sometimes you need something to turn your brain off. Whether or not that'll be enough for this to survive
an airing is anybody's guess.

But they made Redo Healer into an anime, so literally worse has been adapted.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Everything I've heard about this series makes it seem like it was written by one of those guys who think joseimuke media existing is somehow oppressing them.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Everything I've heard about this series makes it seem like it was written by one of those guys who think joseimuke media existing is somehow oppressing them.

It really isn't. The only one hate the setting is the MC mostly due to him was forced to complete the game and then died due to spend 2 days straight playing the game. It pretty much the "this game isn't for me but i'm now stuck in it" kind of situation. The MC try to act like the biggest douchebag to get expel from the main plot but keep failing upward.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Spreadsheet updated. I don't think any of the ones I've added since starting it had the announcement held off until they could announce the airing season with it.

(Side note, looking at the sheet again, it's going to be interesting to see how Leadale comes across when it airs, with the source material predating the modern isekai boom, but coming from the same Internet culture.)
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote
joac101 wrote:
Based on the character designs it seems like this is set on an eroge rather than otome.

Yeah. Other isekai with otome settings, particularly the "reincarnated as a villainess" ones, sport character designs that fit within that game genre, but this series apparently doesn't even try. The designs here are way more appropriate for a bishoujo game than an otome game.
andramus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:24 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
joac101 wrote:

Yeah. Other isekai with otome settings, particularly the "reincarnated as a villainess" ones, sport character designs that fit within that game genre, but this series apparently doesn't even try. The designs here are way more appropriate for a bishoujo game than an otome game.

Just been reading the manga. While playing the game the main character states that the studio that made this game normally makes RPGs and this is their first foray into Otome games. It's more of an experimental cross genre game that contains a lot of elements that aren't usually in Otome games. Apparently the sister liked the romance story but hated the RPG elements so fobbed the game off on her brother to get through the RPG parts.

It makes sense that the charater designs are unusual for Otome games when the game is being made by a studio that's dipping it's toe in the genre and bringing across elements from it's other games.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:31 am Reply with quote
oh yeah, many people were hoping to have more otome isekai adaptations for to have something more original and refreshing with a girl MC... the protagonist is a man who wants to change a world of dominant women to fulfill his ultimate desire..."

Laughing Crying or Very sad
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:12 am Reply with quote
With all due respect, Angelica has caught my attention, especially in that red dress. I will be watching this in the best quality provided.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:42 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I'm not feeling Leon's asshole mode. Don't be fooled by the title, this is a series where a dude gets isekai'd, becomes OP, and woos chicks. It's standard, but reasonably entertaining.

So there is romance?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote
Forgot to mention one thing: this is actually a MECHA

The trailer shows absolutely no mention of it, as neither does its summary, but behind the otome premise and asshole flavor of its MC there is actually a major mecha presence hidden behind its facade with the MC controlling basically this world's Gundam. Think in terms of: Tenchi Muyo War on Geminar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3