• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2021 — Jujutsu Kaisen Edges Out Demon Slayer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to JK on being the top selling manga by series. Also to TR. SnK appears as expected.
The Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:17 am Reply with quote
Is this the first time One Piece isn't in the top 5 (by series)?
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:38 am Reply with quote
I never expected My Hero Academia to be that left out behind despite all those movies a new seasons in contrast to the top that are barely being adapted now.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I never expected My Hero Academia to be that left out behind despite all those movies a new seasons in contrast to the top that are barely being adapted now.

MHA actually had its best year last year, and remains the most popular manga being sold i the USA. I guess it's never been a peak performer in Japan even with its popularity. JJK and Tokyo Revengers just had phenomenal years this year, not even accounting for Demon Slayer's jaw-dropping numbers they pulled last year.

Last edited by Sewingrose on Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gonna say I'm surprised by these news because I know how HUGE these franchises are. But having read most of them, it does surprise me the insane level of success Jujutsu Kaisen has. I personally find it an enjoyable read but quite mediocre in art & plot development. I will give it this: unlike Demon Slayer, it's VERY unpredictable and does not follow some of the shonen tropes. What both of them have in common is having amazing anime adaptations that elevate the source material with a considerable budget and beautiful visuals.

I haven't read the SnK manga but I quite enjoyed the anime series so far. I've heard the ending is very polarizing so hopefully the final season of the anime is still good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1