• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2021

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:39 am Reply with quote
When I click the mega poll it says Survey has not started.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:49 am Reply with quote
Best: Nomad
Second best: To Your Eternity, 86: Both have really neat storytelling but suffered from production issues
Worst: Yashahime and Platinum End.
Best song: As You Like My Pleasure.
Best moment: Eren's debut in the final season of Attack on Titan where he acts like a complete differen person for an entire episode, ending it with violence. Also, the unnamed child who lives with Fushi in To Your Eternity made me cry.
Best movie would be to me Kenshin the Final as they avoided the controversial scene that jumped the shark and made the figths even amazing. Takeru Satoh must have hit the gym.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote
Best character this year is a difficult one, it feels like there wasn't one that stood out above the rest to me, so I'll just list some. Dynazenon had a cast good enough that I could list both Chise and Yume from there, Tomozaki-kun has some of my favorite characters overall in the LN with Hinami and Mizusawa (but the anime wasn't exactly all that great), Uramichi was great but I feel like his bit ends up being a bit repetitive, and Hiling is a treasure but the series isn't over yet and I don't have enough faith in stuff anymore to pick something that could potentially go downhill
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
My AOTY is definitely Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure. It’s such a kind and joyful, magical show that (as I’ve said many times) really seems to care about its viewers.

The aquatope on white sand and Kageki Shojo!! were also fantastic. Fruits Basket: The Final Season was perfect and gave all the characters the conclusions they deserved. In terms of pleasant surprises, Fairy Ranmaru was quite good and gave me Pretty Cure vibes, especially with the ending. And finally, Waccha PriMagi! is everything I hoped it would be, with the sparkly aesthetic and joyous atmosphere, and its characters are wonderful. Cheers for seeing the two leads grow and connect!

For best character, for me it’s a tie between Sango from Pretty Cure and Lemon from PriMagi. Both are so inspiring and seeing them find their personal shine was heartwarming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:19 am Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
When I click the mega poll it says Survey has not started.

Fixed!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:31 am Reply with quote
Attack on Titan isn't in the mega poll. I'm guessing that's not an oversight since it technically started airing in 2020 (and it was in the 2020 mega poll if I remember correctly) though I'd consider it more of a winter 2021 anime. Shame, I would have voted for it (and also would have voted for Jujutsu Kaisen's 2nd half).
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:43 am Reply with quote
Nobara...? I agree that she's supposed to be a badass female character, but in practice she fall into all the trope of shonen female side kick. She's almost certainly the weakest of the regular cast, usually end up needing to be rescued and just fade into the background almost as soon as she's introduced. She's not quite as bad as Naruto's Sakura, but she ain't far from that.

I don't particularly find Ruti to be that tragic as a character. First they live in a world being invade by horde of demon, so there probably are peoples getting killed just after having seen their family/friend/loved one be torn apart by demon. Can't imagine telling them that their fate is not as tragic as Ruti because... she doesn't have to sleep anymore, oh the humanities! What's with story trying to make not having to sleep seem like some sort of horrible fate? Oh noes, my life is effectively lengthen by 1/3, so horrible! She can also just do her job and then will be free from all the issue associated with her blessing. Plus she probably can't even feel sadness at her own fate.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Attack on Titan isn't in the mega poll. I'm guessing that's not an oversight since it technically started airing in 2020 (and it was in the 2020 mega poll if I remember correctly) though I'd consider it more of a winter 2021 anime. Shame, I would have voted for it (and also would have voted for Jujutsu Kaisen's 2nd half).

Yeah, it was included in last year's poll and subsequently won for the year. If I remember right, people weren't too thrilled that a series that only had a few episodes out beat out everything for the year...
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the shout out to Dobu. He really is the best boi.

My anime watching is a bit limited these days, so I really need to go back and watch some of the better ones from this year.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm really hoping someone at ANN saw Link Click, it needs so much more love and I can't wait for season 2!

I now note, it's not even listed in the mega poll... is it disqualified because it is from China on this one? Shame, as more people need to know about and watch it.

Last edited by zawa113 on Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Bearing in mind that my lists change from day to day, at a minimum.

Shows I enjoyed and was very impressed by:

Odd Taxi
Otherside Picnic
Sonny Boy

Shows I enjoyed and rewatched the heck out of at least a few eps:

Lupin part six ( This surprised me, I'm not a big Lupin fan. )
Saint's Magic
Tonikawa: Over the Moon for you
Zombie Land Saga Revenge

Shows I enjoyed:

Bottom Tier Tomozaki
Komi can't Communicate
Last Dungeon Boonies, Suppose a Kid From the ... moved to a starter town, whatever it's called ( I hate these long titles. No news in that. )
Mieruko-Chan ( Another surprise, I really don't like horror shows. )
Super Cub
Villainess, My Next Life as

Shows I enjoyed even though they are pretty flawed:

Vladlove - Just didn't click right, disjointed, uneven, I don't know.
But I rewatched it a bunch 'cause I still like it a lot.

Girl Friend, Girl Friend - Absolutely stupid IMHO. But not a mean bone in it.
I can't defend it, and too much yelling, but I laughed a lot.

Unless it finishes next year with a fantastic ending, Black Lotus is a "meh, they tried" for me so far. Most of the character designs didn't work for me, and outside of the fights, the feeling of weight in movement still seems clunky.

I wouldn't be surprised if I've just forgotten some. 150+ shows a year is just too many for my little brain. And just a note in passing, but IMHO this was unfortunately a weak year.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Picking 5 for the megapoll this year was hard.

So many shows that are in that bucket where if they aired any other year they'd be top 5 without a doubt.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot of shows I enjoyed but if I absolutely have to choose, then the list would look like this:

1. 86
2. Belle
3. Laid-back Camp 2
4. Zombie Land Saga Revenge
5. Let's Make a Mug Too

Other ones I think they deserve a mention are Kageki Shoujo, Shadows House, Aquatope and the list wouldn't be full without mentioning Molcar, which I wanted to include among my top 5 originally, but there's a tough competition and I can only vote for 5 shows at max (at least I hope other people will vote for it) Sad

There are other promising shows which I sadly missed, but I had no time for them, so sadly they're not on this list.

As for my favorite characters, if we're not talking about second seasons, then Sarasa from Kageki Shoujo and Shin from 86 would take the cake. If we do however, then Nadeshiko of course Very Happy

There are of course disappointments, they're not really worth a mention apart from one: Wonder Egg Priority. I don't think I need to tell people why. Let's just say I skipped over the last episode and I'd like to pretend it never happened.
ChimpMonkZ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The 2nd link isn't working
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-12-25/the-best-anime-of-2021/christopher-farris-steve-jones-mercedez-clewis-and-the-best-moments/.180827

None of the links are working for me actually except first one????
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
That's because it isn't live yet. The images will be in color when the next section is available (one per day).

Quote:
Welcome to our editorial team's countdown of the very best anime that aired this year! Over the next five days, we'll be revealing our team's picks of overall best as well as multiple sub categories like best character, best moment, best song, and best film. On the final day, we'll reveal our worst picks of the year as well as our reader's choices for the very best! If you want to make sure your voice is hear, be sure to vote in our MEGA POLL! The poll closes on New Year's Eve, so don't miss your chance!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9