• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - We Never Asked for This

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kirby and the Forgotten Land is launching much sooner than we all expected on March 55th

It's March 25th
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:50 am Reply with quote
At least where Ubisoft's attempt at NFT is concerned, some of the lack of interest could be that some of what they showed would be tied to play time. NFTs seen as a way to make a quick buck, so getting that barely unique in-game item after playing hundreds of hours isn't what the speculators want. Ubisoft constantly pushes for customer 'engagement' and then tried to sell something to people who weren't going to engage with their games, just the store.

As for E3, I don't think we'll see a return to in-person. The interest from the big companies isn't there like it was. I do feel a bit bad for the small studios that used it as a networking opportunity, but the publishers aren't going to turn up just for that.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm very much looking forward to playing it, but I have a gut feeling that this is going to be the most divisive Kirby game among hardcore and casual puffball fans alike.

I'm a Kirby fan. I haven't played every game in the series, but merely a lot of them, including a couple that were not very good (Mass Attack and Dream Land 2, in case anyone's wondering). As with most Kirby games that feature something significantly new, I'll be waiting on reviews for Forgotten Land.

What's interesting is that some of the excitement I've seen about Forgotten Land comes from people who don't play Kirby games very much. It reminds me of those people who swore they would play a mainline Pokemon if it was on a console instead of a handheld. I wonder how many of them picked up, and enjoyed, Sword/Shield?

Now there's the same sort of hype building around Pokemon Legends Arceus and that new Sonic game because, like Forgotten Land, it's "open world". Since copy abilities are confirmed, I'm expecting a Kirby-ass Kirby game, open world or no, but others seem to be hoping for the next Super Mario Odyssey. It's gonna be even worse with that Sonic game, since Sonic-ass Sonic games often aren't very good.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:33 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

Now there's the same sort of hype building around Pokemon Legends Arceus and that new Sonic game because, like Forgotten Land, it's "open world". Since copy abilities are confirmed, I'm expecting a Kirby-ass Kirby game, open world or no, but others seem to be hoping for the next Super Mario Odyssey. It's gonna be even worse with that Sonic game, since Sonic-ass Sonic games often aren't very good.

I really wonder where these 'open world' claims come from. Wait, nvm: it's usually news sites that push those claims w/out confirmation. Sonic frontiers has more evidence it might be open world, but AFAIK no official claim has been made that the new Kirby game will be one. And from the trailers, it looks more like Super Mario Galaxy: with a hub world where you will then ride a warp star to different stages.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:05 pm Reply with quote
speaking in which,Troy Baker is the latest one to drink the NFT cool-aid...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
-NFTS: Even aside from the wasteful aspect of them, (they can spin it however they want, it is literally impossible for them to have a net zero carbon footprint) they're just so incredibly scummy. I've already heard stories of artists having their works stolen so much they've shut down their Deviantart accounts. A lot of game companies seem to be doing this to placate tech-illiterate investors and it's such a mess. The crash of these is going to be BAD.

-E3: Yeah, there was no way it was going to be in-person. And even then, for the past few years it's really just been "Nintendo blows the doors off the place and everyone else is just there." I expect this year to be no different.

-Kirby: They gave him a gun.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The only thing related to games NFTs (or similar) would be useful for, is purchasing and re-selling digital games. Since that would cut in to companies profits though, don't expect it unless they're forced to through gov't action.
Cosmetics and other in-game items work just fine now tied to people's accounts. Unless cosmetics could some how be shared across games from different companies, they don't need to be associated with an NFT. And of course I can't imagine any group of companies being ok with one company selling the dlc while another has to do the work to implement and support it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:19 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

If we’re being honest the bulk of awful Sonic games were 2D with at least one of those being isometric even Forces for how much people dunked on it was meh but wasn’t “WHO MADE THIS SHIT?”.

Hopefully they give this one time and we don’t get another 06. And most importantly the music comes correct especially if it’s appropriated from other Sonic games. Don’t want another Brotherhood or Forces with Egg Dragoon or Generations with Rooftop Run.
livin_large

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
None of the higher-ups in suits at game publishers and hardware manufacturers actually understand these concepts – or that the game-playing consumers are skeptical about these things -- but they know that they are media buzzwords that garner excitement among investors and financial influencers. (The finance people are the guys trying to hype up these stupid concepts by claiming things like “imagine owning a special gun in one game… and then taking that same gun to another game!” without understanding how things like game development or even basic gameplay work.)

That concept is not too far off from what we already have in the realm of gaming. Nintendo already does just that with Amiibos. You can use the same Amiibo to unlock different stuff in different games using the same one-time purchase. A CPU fighter in a Smash, a skin in Mario Kart, a few bonus items in Breath of the Wild and Three Houses. I never got into them myself, but I also heard Skylanders were basically that. You could use the exact same Skylander you bought in the first game through out the sequels and spin-offs.

I agree it sounds like mostly buzzwords and marketing, but the idea is promising and already out there. You get to level 20 World of Warcraft, you unlock a skin in Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. Or even just the ability to trade Pokemon between games or unlock content in a game if you have a save file from the previous game in the series. I predict it'll mostly be limited to major companies who have an expansive library to take full advantage of the gimmick, but I'm interested to see how it goes. And in the realm where so many IPs are mingling in Fortnite, I wouldn't completely rule out cross-company promotions and integration being on the table. It sounds like the only main difference is being able to buy and sell these kinds of things on the player-end which I'd be pretty happy about since it would finally give players a bit of consumer power in our digital purchases.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:

I agree it sounds like mostly buzzwords and marketing, but the idea is promising and already out there.

Okay, but every example you just give in your post is something that already exists and was done before NFT's existed. So it really just underscores how pointless NFT's are.
Artemis X

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I would see the day where the concept of "GAMING as a rewarding and fun experience" is something they are trying to seperate as an alternative method to gaming when compared to NFTS. I can't believe THIS is what its come to now. Greed and capitalism continues to dominate our society. Ahh i feel nostalgic for the days when the world was all about artistic expression and creative freedom.

If you'll excuse me, I am just going to pretend like always that its the 90's, kick back on my couch, watch some classic Berserk (yes classic), well dusting off my old playstation and playing some Final Fantasy, well listening to some classic music and reading my old strategy game magz with some pizza and a six pack. Cool
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:37 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
It sounds like the only main difference is being able to buy and sell these kinds of things on the player-end which I'd be pretty happy about since it would finally give players a bit of consumer power in our digital purchases.

On the other hand, do you really believe that massive AAA publishers would be willing to cede any amount of power over players' purchases to them? What incentive would EA possibly have to sell a skin to you that you could just use in another game without buying it again?

Console manufacturers have fought tooth and nail for generations to prevent a used games market from existing for digital games. It's not just something that doesn't exist, it's something that they actively don't want. They're not going to give up that fight now.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 pm Reply with quote
The nearly-unanimous public disdain for NFTs is one of the few things that gives me hope for humanity. Maybe the fact that certain powerful individuals keep promoting them anyway--which definitely has nothing to do with widespread money laundering--will help the 99% put aside their differences and work together.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:02 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

I'm a Kirby fan. I haven't played every game in the series, but merely a lot of them, including a couple that were not very good (Mass Attack and Dream Land 2, in case anyone's wondering).

Confused
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:04 am Reply with quote
Tough luck on Squeenix doing NFTs when another major platform has already said their piece about it:

"Xbox's [Boss] Phil Spencer Thinks NFTs Are A Form Of Exploitation Rather Than Entertainment - Xbox will not be hopping aboard the NFT bandwagon."

Quote:
Xbox boss Phil Spencer was asked about NFTs during an interview with Axios's Stephen Totilo, and his answer was a breath of fresh air amid a landscape of increasing support for the tokens. “I think there’s a lot of speculation and experimentation that’s happening, and that some of the creative that I see today feels more exploitive than about entertainment,” Spencer said.

That suggests it's going to be a while before we see NFTs on Xbox, something that might not sit well with some of the studios already dead set on using them. Square Enix, Ubisoft, and EA have all openly revealed their intentions to incorporate NFTs into their games.

One of the core issues with NFTs in games is presenting the idea as anything meaningfully new for the industry in the first place. Digital item scarcity and real money markets for game items are already a thing, and have been for decades. The idea of “decentralized” ownership is supposed to add some sort of next level of security, but it’s hard to know if the concept can be fully trusted (see many, many NFT scams over the past year) or if the potential environmental impact of involving the blockchain is worth any of this.

NFT games are a burgeoning industry, but still very, very small. Oftentimes proponents compare the scene to the early days of the mobile games industry, which ended up exploding to become the largest chunk of gaming in general. And yet I think mobile saw a clear hole in the market and filled it, while NFTs seem like they’re just adding additional steps and additional risk to concepts that have already existed in gaming for a very long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3