• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIV Game Resumes Digital Sales on January 25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:17 am Reply with quote
It is nice to hear that SE is opening an Oceanian Data Center. Hopefully, it reduces the queue times from several hours to less than an hour, preferably a few minutes at most. I personally don't play the game, but I have friends that do...and they talk about the very long queues often.

I just hope opening this one data center will be enough.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:28 am Reply with quote
I hope this means a better play experience overall for Aussie and NZ players, at the very least! I’ve heard they get awful, awful lag due to how out of the way the servers are, geographically speaking.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
It is nice to hear that SE is opening an Oceanian Data Center. Hopefully, it reduces the queue times from several hours to less than an hour, preferably a few minutes at most. I personally don't play the game, but I have friends that do...and they talk about the very long queues often.

I just hope opening this one data center will be enough.

So the queue problem is actually already mostly over; it dropped pretty steadily over time since launch, which is why they’re re-opening sales. The only reason I say “mostly over” is that I’ve heard that the most populated NA Data Center (Aether) can still have problems at peak hours, and I assume some of the most populated JP worlds are probably also still impacted. But on my server (Ultros on Primal DC) there’s no longer been queue times, even on weekends. And even when it was at its worst, if you were able to play at late night/early morning hours there would actually be no queue still; this period of time also gradually grew till it would be fine to log in through the early afternoon, then through the early evening, etc.

Now, the new Oceania DC will help future issues a bit just due to portions of existing server populations switching to using it instead. But it’s really more intended to just provide severs for people in that region that are better to play on, with less delay/lag; it was planned even before Endwalker’s release. The changes that are actually intended to deal with possible future queue issues and will more significantly impact the chances of it happening again are the additional worlds and data centers they’ve announced for the existing NA/EU/JP regions, which will be added over the next year or so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1