• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bibliophile Princess Shōjo Fantasy Romance Novels Get TV Anime in 2022

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ichijinsha will publish the sixth novel volume on February 28.

Both the Iris Bunko site and Amazon list the volume with a release date of February 2.
https://www.ichijinsha.co.jp/iris/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B09R9L1BBX
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:08 am Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:
Quote:
Ichijinsha will publish the sixth novel volume on February 28.

Both the Iris Bunko site and Amazon list the volume with a release date of February 2.
https://www.ichijinsha.co.jp/iris/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B09R9L1BBX

Good day Double Mangekyo!

Thank you for spotting on the correction and just emailed the team about this! Very Happy
Shiawase_Rina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:42 am Reply with quote
NICE! We deserve more shoujo adaptions!
Glad that the Villainess genre is inspiring more of them!

I did get a bit tired of them, but since they are just getting started with anime I'm just happy many ones I like get adaptions. I would love to get more general fantasy shoujo adapted too.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
I am totally down for a Shojo Fantasy Romance!
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Me toooo! And this one looks just like a fairy tale. I love it already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

Honestly, Saeryen, this is one of the series I'd 100% recommend to you specifically. Very Happy It's one of my favorite light novel series.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to this!! And it is going to so soon since it's slated for this year.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
A non Isekai fantasy shoujo romance? Yes please!
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

Honestly, Saeryen, this is one of the series I'd 100% recommend to you specifically. Very Happy It's one of my favorite light novel series.

Thank you so much! I’m looking forward to this even more now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anpansparking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I never expected this to get an anime! What I've read of the source material was really cute, so this is definitely one of my most anticipated anime now.
earl.m

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:49 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

What DID happen to the shojo anime scene? Especially if you take away Pretty Cure (not that they are making any other magical girl anime these days), idol shows, otome shows and remakes?

Anyway I am onboard because of the studio - not that Madhouse has been that great lately - and the Sweetness & Lightning crew.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:27 am Reply with quote
earl.m wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

What DID happen to the shojo anime scene? Especially if you take away Pretty Cure (not that they are making any other magical girl anime these days), idol shows, otome shows and remakes?

This is an interesting question actually. When it comes to shojo anime for kids, it's basically always been shows designed to sell toys. Even moreso than shounen anime, which sold a lot of books primarily (and still does, but now combined with everything else involved in large shounen franchises).
With the shojo properties, none have really managed to break out into full franchise mode since the sailor moon days except for pretty cure, their success is based on toy sales.

And toy sales aren't able to go international like full franchises, because you can't just sell kids toys internationally (safety, licensing, manufacturing, etc... It's complex and extremely expensive).

So as anime started gaining more and more of its revenue from overseas sales, this was even more heavily slanted towards the shounen properties, because it was easier to have international success with them (beyond the show itself). And that's turned into a negative force for developing new shoujo properties in Japan.

But we're seeing a resurgence from the ground level in Japan. The number of light novel lines for women is increasing rapidly right now, and that's also reflected in the western publishers like my J-Novel Heart, and even Seven Seas just announced some new labels, etc...
These will start to get turned into anime like this, maybe targeted a bit older than the earlier shojo franchises. And hopefully they will find an audience in Japan and overseas and we'll see more variety again.
Tropical Forest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
she realizes the recent rumors must be true. The prince has someone he truly loves

If that someone 'he truly loves' didn't turn out to be the protagonist herself, then that would be new. Anyway, it not being an isekai gets my attention already.
earl.m

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:50 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
earl.m wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

This is an interesting question actually. When it comes to shojo anime for kids, it's basically always been shows designed to sell toys. Even moreso than shounen anime, which sold a lot of books primarily (and still does, but now combined with everything else involved in large shounen franchises).
With the shojo properties, none have really managed to break out into full franchise mode since the sailor moon days except for pretty cure, their success is based on toy sales.

And toy sales aren't able to go international like full franchises, because you can't just sell kids toys internationally (safety, licensing, manufacturing, etc... It's complex and extremely expensive).

So as anime started gaining more and more of its revenue from overseas sales, this was even more heavily slanted towards the shounen properties, because it was easier to have international success with them (beyond the show itself). And that's turned into a negative force for developing new shoujo properties in Japan.

But we're seeing a resurgence from the ground level in Japan. The number of light novel lines for women is increasing rapidly right now, and that's also reflected in the western publishers like my J-Novel Heart, and even Seven Seas just announced some new labels, etc...
These will start to get turned into anime like this, maybe targeted a bit older than the earlier shojo franchises. And hopefully they will find an audience in Japan and overseas and we'll see more variety again.

I was going to rebut this argument by pointing out that slice of life shonen is still getting made and that isn't merchandise-driven either so why aren't we still getting the likes of Blue Spring Ride, His and Her Circumstances and From Me To You anymore? But then I realize that we actually aren't getting much shonen slice of life anymore either: only 2 this season and one is technically seinen (My Dress-Up Darling) and the other only exists because its first two cours were a surprise breakout hit (Teasing Master Takagi-San 3).

However, I don't know if the answer is more borderline josei. Ideally it would be stuff for preteen/teen girls that isn't dominated by romance (or if romance is there it would be a side plot). More stuff like Dennou Coil, please!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1