• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Who Used U.S. COVID Relief Loan To Buy Pokémon Card Sentenced To Prison

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The government will seize your Pokemon, rise up Trainers.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:50 pm Reply with quote
That's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off for him.
Sven Laguz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Plot twist
Someone in the office also wanted their own Charizard
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I laughed really hard, and then I was sad.

Someone could've really used it to help their business.
I also don't know how he was able to do this but audits do come back eventually.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is that you see dumb stuff like this pop up in the court system more times than you'd think. Just... I don't know sometimes.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Any child who grew up in the 90's should understand the great appeal of a mint Charizard its damn priceless so I get the desire and appeal tho going to such moronic measures to capture one is out of my wheelhouse.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:07 am Reply with quote
The government is in league with Team Rocket!

J/k, he got what he deserved.
Mune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:04 am Reply with quote
It is funny, but also horrible. I feel like this is more a sensational story, where we didn't get to hear the other side of the events.

If (possibly a really long-stretch), in fact, "“entertainment services” business" could be anything, including a YouTube channel, the card could have been used in that business model, and claiming that YouTube channels are not businesses is crazy. It is also a possibility that it could have been purchased to sell for a higher price to someone else (a business transaction, which brick and mortar card shops do on the regular). Or it could have been a case of collector's incentive with intention to defraud the government in the process.

If he got sentenced already, I imagine that there was a thorough investigation to find their motive in its entirety.

I wonder if it was a shadowless 1st edition Charizard?
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:04 am Reply with quote
Amazing. Now, how about recoving those trillions in taxpayer dollars that Wall Street looted from the taxpayers in the past few decades, most notably during the pandemic? No? Oh, well. Our tough luck for having corporations that are too big to fail. Little people? Well, "little" should clue you in right there about who is allowed to fail.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:34 am Reply with quote
Goes to show how people get carried away with overspending. You will get critized enough for buying regular merchandise which people see as a waste of time, space, money. But if you spend that much on a piece of cardboard, people will actually be concerned. This guy definitely wasted tax payer dollars and deserves this
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:44 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
It is funny, but also horrible. I feel like this is more a sensational story, where we didn't get to hear the other side of the events.

If (possibly a really long-stretch), in fact, "“entertainment services” business" could be anything, including a YouTube channel, the card could have been used in that business model, and claiming that YouTube channels are not businesses is crazy. It is also a possibility that it could have been purchased to sell for a higher price to someone else (a business transaction, which brick and mortar card shops do on the regular). Or it could have been a case of collector's incentive with intention to defraud the government in the process.

If he got sentenced already, I imagine that there was a thorough investigation to find their motive in its entirety.

Just want to clarify one thing. Motive is never an element of crime a prosecutor has to prove. It's helpful in terms of framing the issue for a jury, but the prosecution never has to prove why a person did something, and often motive is unresolved at the end of a case.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:54 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

It could have been made clearer, but from the article
Quote:
...a Georgia man who fraudulently applied for a COVID-19 disaster relief loan...

The primary cause for the lawsuit wasn't actually the purchase of the card itself but that the man had lied on his federal loan application. His claim of being a small business owner with 10 employees was a complete fabrication.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:32 am Reply with quote
I first heard about this while recording a podcast on Thursday. Although I went through half the conversation before it clicked and I said "Oh, a card!" Heh. I don't know what I was thinking.
MreoPitr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:14 am Reply with quote
Why so mean, man? There are some situations you can’t control in your life, when everything ruins just in one second. I’ve been working on a well paid job and had a house mortgage. But one day, my son developed a serious illness which needed an urgent operation costing about my yearly salary (he hadn't insurance, my bad). We all were petrified, and, of course, had to save his life in any possible way. My wife didn’t work and our parents also couldn’t help us. I’ve been desperately trying to get a loan, but no result. I went to Mortgage Advisor Bristol and he found an option for me after consultation. Thanks to him, everything is fine today
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1