• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
Interesting enough though, I don't think spoiler[Tohru could or would catch onto what Momiji was feeling, because he had always been that kid brother type of person with her. It's hard to change that environment especially when the impact you make that environment is huge. ]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Fighter, you mentioned *Spoiler because i don't want to be a spoiler for the end*spoiler[that there are some singles left at the end of the series. i think the only other person left after the curse broke was Kagura. interesting in and of itself considering we are talking about Kyo and Momiji.]

about Kyo and Momiji, the next volume has a huge conversation between the two.

and speaking of the next volume, are we going to put aside a week for disscusion of that volume next month?
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
and speaking of the next volume, are we going to put aside a week for disscusion of that volume next month?

That's the plan. I had thought about setting aside the week after its release, to allow time for everyone to pick up their copies and read it. It's due out the 18th, so I figure we can start discussing it that Saturday.

Sound good to everybody?

-Murph
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
Fighter, you mentioned *Spoiler because i don't want to be a spoiler for the end*spoiler[that there are some singles left at the end of the series. i think the only other person left after the curse broke was Kagura. interesting in and of itself considering we are talking about Kyo and Momiji.]

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

This is in the last volume. If you don't want to be spoiled for that, don't read it, but, speaking of Momiji: spoiler[It's arguable, I'd have to look at the pages again in romaji to be perfectly sure, that Momiji ends up with Kagura. I am not kidding in the least. Look at the scene where Kagura takes a picture of Kyo with her camera phone. Who does she walk off with? What does she say? Time has passed, so it's possible. They are a fairly compatible pair.]
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
This is in the last volume. If you don't want to be spoiled for that, don't read it, but, speaking of Momiji: spoiler[It's arguable, I'd have to look at the pages again in romaji to be perfectly sure, that Momiji ends up with Kagura. I am not kidding in the least. Look at the scene where Kagura takes a picture of Kyo with her camera phone. Who does she walk off with? What does she say? Time has passed, so it's possible. They are a fairly compatible pair.]

Really? If so, that really comes out of left field to me. I can't remember those two even having a conversation in the manga. I'll have to check my scans of the last volume.

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
suna_suna wrote:

That's the plan. I had thought about setting aside the week after its release, to allow time for everyone to pick up their copies and read it. It's due out the 18th, so I figure we can start discussing it that Saturday.

Sound good to everybody?

-Murph

Sounds very good to me!
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
me too.

and as for the last volume spoiler[Momiji takes the picture after Kagura hugs Kyo. as the two are walking away, Kyo asks if they're accomplices. it's quite a fuinny scene. but you're right i don't think they have a real conversation.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I've got to get down to Barnes & Nobel to place my March/April manga orders so that they will be pristine and untouched by the foul and profane hands of manga cows.

So, how about this...when everyone gets their issue, give a shout out and when everyone seems to have theirs, the discussion can start on the following Friday.

How does that sound?
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I've got to get down to Barnes & Nobel to place my March/April manga orders so that they will be pristine and untouched by the foul and profane hands of manga cows.

So, how about this...when everyone gets their issue, give a shout out and when everyone seems to have theirs, the discussion can start on the following Friday.

How does that sound?

You made me laugh. I have never thought about the manga cows befouling the volumes I buy. I guess there is an upside to shrinkwrapping some copies. At least you know which ones haven't been touched. Wink

Your plan sounds good Lydia. I was planning to buy mine the day it's released anyway, assuming my local Borders stocks it one time. However, that hasn't been a problem with any previous volumes.

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
And I'll just make sure to read my copy Wink BIG SPOILERS spoiler[Kagura and Momiji do seem to be single, but there was nothing to indicate at the end of the manga that they were actually dating.] If there were to be any gaidens or something to that extent maybe possibly almost for the most part that could be covered. But yes, spoiler[they did try to set Kyo up but in the end they decided not, just for the sake of Kyo getting together with Tohru.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Thank you guys so much for listening to my request! I know it is sometimes difficult to distinguish which things happened in certain volumes because I know that a whole series can blend together. But thanks again, I really appreciate it! Very Happy

As for the discussion for next volume, I will probably pick it up that weekend if I can, sometimes my local Borders gets the new copies of FB in late. But I don't want to delay our discussion, so I'll just drop in here once I have read it. Heh.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
i think i'll order it tonight
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
I used to rarely order things because I'm particular about the condition of the volumes I buy. I like to make sure the pages aren't folded, the cover's not creased or the DVD is not rattling around inside the case. I find now I'm ordering things online because my local stores don't have what I'm looking for, or it's a must-have item. (Lucky Star, right fighterholic?)

Anyhow, this week we're moving into the realm of Kakeru and Machi.

They're spoiler[half siblings, and the have a pretty good relationship despite their family situation. Frankly, I'm surprised they don't hate each other because each was raised to think the other was their rival for the family inheritance. But, Kakeru broke free of that nonsense. And, he's genuinely interested in helping Machi better her life.]

Well, I think that's enough to get the discussion going. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Very Happy

-Murph

p.s. 300th post Shocked There was a time when I thought I could never be this chatty. Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
Kakeru is spoiler[extremly protective of Machi, even if he does hand out her underwear to "strangers." But, I don't think that he fully understands the depth of her pain and her needs like Yuki does. I.E. - the new chalk box when Yuki broke one piece.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
I used to rarely order things because I'm particular about the condition of the volumes I buy. I like to make sure the pages aren't folded, the cover's not creased or the DVD is not rattling around inside the case. I find now I'm ordering things online because my local stores don't have what I'm looking for, or it's a must-have item. (Lucky Star, right fighterholic?)

I'm going to try and see about how I can get the manga, but it is just so expensive if I get it over here. So, I'll try and see about getting the manga when I go to Japan, since I know that it will be way cheaper. But the DVD, yeah. I just HAD to order it Laughing

Quote:
p.s. 300th post Shocked There was a time when I thought I could never be this chatty. Very Happy

Yes murph, you have made quite a bit of progress Wink Just look how much trouble I've gotten myself in Laughing

The relationship between Machi and Kakeru I've found to be an interesting one in this series when siblings are involved (of course the only other pair we have is Yuki and Ayame Laughing ). Unlike the Sohma brothers, they are not portrayed to fight or get into some kind of argument like Yuki and Ayame. Which is rather interesting given their history and what they had to go through when they were even younger. SPOILERS spoiler[Since they were both fathered by the same man, but different mothers, of course there was going to be tension and fights. So they both had to fight to see who was going to inherit their father's fortune. Kakeru suddenly grew tired of having to study study study, so he just went all crazy and stuff, of what we consider a funny way. So Machi apparently "won," until her new baby brother was born. From there it was decided that he would take on the family fortune.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 110 of 170