• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cygames, P.A. Works Reveal Akiba Maid War Original TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:14 am Reply with quote
Interesting choice of music. Something tells me there's going to be a twist of what's seemingly benign.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:35 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Interesting choice of music. Something tells me there's going to be a twist of what's seemingly benign.
Well, if it's gonna be another Zombieland Saga-level show, then yes please.
Alphonae

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:00 am Reply with quote
There's 100% gonna be a twist.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:21 am Reply with quote
It's finally revealed. With all due respect... Ranko best maid so far.

Quote:
Sōichi Masui (Chaika the Coffin Princess) is directing the anime

What a coincidence. I was just listening to Chaika and Classroom Crisis songs again after a few years like 2 hours ago. You can't make this up. It was fate.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:37 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this.
Aster97

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:20 am Reply with quote
The art doesnt look like the typical PA Works unique style, but they been a roll lately so im excited.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:22 am Reply with quote
Watched the Red Sox play the Los Angeles Angels in LA a couple weeks back. The left-hand advertisement behind home plate, probably the priciest advertising space in the park, was for cygames. Saw a couple other Japanese-targeted ads as well. Believe Shohei Ohtani was pitching that night, Saturday afternoon in Tokyo.

Last edited by yuna49 on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
SpideyDude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:30 am Reply with quote
*Phew* I was worried that PA Works will give up making original anime after Kongming and the recently announced Skip and Loafer.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Aster97 wrote:
The art doesnt look like the typical PA Works unique style, but they been a roll lately so im excited.
Nah, it's pretty P.A. Works style, and most of the staff are already worked on original P.A. anime before - it's director of Sakura Quest and character designer/animation director from Kami-sama ni Natta Hi.
Vizo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:35 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I could see that. With that serious-looking veteran, it may delve into the darker sides of this job.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if PA Works needs that manga adaption and Cygames money after all their recent anime originals...

That being said, I wonder if there is a twist or if it's genuinely a series about making it as a maid in Akiba. But hey, Rina Sato!
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Given the "meido" in the title (冥途) means "underworld," and there's a shot of the red-haired girl seemingly falling off the side of a building, I'm guessing the first episode ends with her dying. Only question is if the title is more literal (the rest of the show is her trying to come back to life) or metaphorical (the rest of the show is a murder mystery or something).
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:10 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I was wondering if PA Works needs that manga adaption and Cygames money after all their recent anime originals...

That being said, I wonder if there is a twist or if it's genuinely a series about making it as a maid in Akiba. But hey, Rina Sato!
Considering the success of Kongming, which was one of the most-watched series in Japan this season - I will say more yes than no, they totally need some changes.

And it's not really the first time when they went for a deal with Cygames either - the first season of Umamusume exists after all.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:54 pm Reply with quote
A relic from the 2000s? Laughing
Boy, that Maid/Meido really gets lost in the translation here. Should be interesting to see where this goes.
A pig themed maid cafe is definitely an odd choice, though I'm sure it's for a reason. Guess we'll have to get used to hearing a lot of "buhi" while watching Laughing
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Cygames, Inc. "is a Japanese video game development studio established in 2011 by CyberAgent. Mobile and E-commerce company DeNA acquired a 24% stake in the studio in 2012, and Nintendo acquired another 5% stake in 2018..."

Publicly traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TYO), CyberAgent publish quarterly financial results, available here in English. Here in English are their video game titles, which they make and/or publish.

According to CyberAgent's Consolidated Financial Results for the Second Quarter of Fiscal Year 2022 (2Q FY2022), "The CyberAgent Group has taken advantage of the growth of the smartphone market. At the same time, the group has been investing in ABEMA, the TV for future, to grow it in the medium to long-term mainstay.

"As a result, during the cumulative consolidated second quarter, net sales grew 23.0% year on year to ¥362,192 million, and operating income amounted to ¥45,527 million (38.2% increase). Ordinary income amounted to ¥45,715 million (38.4% increase), and profit attributable to shareholders of parent increased 25.3% to ¥17,155 million."

"Abema (Japanese: アベマ, stylized as ABEMA) is a Japanese live TV streaming website owned by the entertainment company, AbemaTV, Inc. that provides over-the-top media services to customers in Japan. The website primarily acts as an online television network, with multiple channels including news, sports, entertainment, anime and more. Users can watch most channels for free with the option to become a premium member, allowing them to view past programs on demand. Abema is owned by AbemaTV, Inc., which itself is 55.2% owned by CyberAgent and 36.8% owned by TV Asahi, with the remaining ownership by various other companies, most of them in the media and entertainment industry."

Anime Titles Available on AbemaTV

Google Finance: CyberAgent, Inc. on the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TYO)

Overall, major Japanese companies which produce video games - e.g., CyberAgent, Nintendo; Bandai Namco (manufacture, produce, and/or publish merchandise and video games for their primary IPs, Toei and Toei Animation IPs like Super Sentai / Power Rangers, Kamen Rider, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Sailor Moon, Pretty Cure {PreCure}, and so on, etc.; produce anime titles Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, Code Geass, Love Live!, etc; make video games Gundam, Pac-Man, Tekken, Soulcalibur, Tales of (Arise, Berseria, Vesperia, etc.) series, Code Vein, Scarlet Nexus, THE iDOLM@STER, etc; publish FromSoftware games Dark Souls series and Elden Ring; etc); Square Enix; Capcom; Koei Tecmo; Sega Sammy (after a bad FY2021, in large part due to the steep drop in Sammy's pachinko and pachislot businesses due to the pandemic lockdown in Japan); Konami (yup, for FY2022, they reported their best financial results in history, with their pachinko and pachislot businesses, video games like Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel and Momotarō Dentetsu, etc., doing well) - have had a good Fiscal Year 2022.

As you can plainly see from the aforementioned Bandai Namco, which have been quietly expanding overseas by buying and investing in overseas video game development studios, their businesses usually involve more than just making video games.

For example, in addition to highlighting the latest expansion of their MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, Endwalker, Square Enix also mention their manga title, My Dress-Up Darling by Shin'ichi Fukuda - serialized in Square Enix's biweekly seinen manga magazine, Young Gangan - which had a hit television anime series adaptation that aired from January to March 2022, as contributing to a 90 percent increase in Year-on-Year (YoY) profit from Fiscal Year 2021 to Fiscal Year 2022.

Remember, Fullmetal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa is also a Square Enix manga title, which was serialized in Square Enix's monthly shōnen manga magazine, Shōnen Gangan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1