• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Classroom of the Elite II

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You can barely make out her facial reactions most of the time and the big reveal moment—where Ayanokoji grabs her—is just a blur of darkness. I'm not going to lie here. I watched this scene several times and couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be seeing. Was he grabbing her chest? Reaching between her legs? What was the secret he had discovered? I honestly couldn't make it out. Finally, I just had to pause the episode and max out my screen brightness and see the big reveal: we were looking at her midriff and the massive scar across it.

I feel like that's more of a you problem than anything. I have my TV set fairly dark, and I had zero problem making anything out. Maybe you have Crunchyroll's settings messed up too or something? Or whatever playback device you're using? It should've been perfectly clear.

I'll also note that Kei's already the leader of the girls, which is why he wants her as a tool.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Not just the reviewer. I had similar trouble seeing what was going on due to the darkness of the scene
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you have the brightness too low? It looked fine to me.

Quote:
I'm glad we've gotten back to that Ichinose subplot about her having over 2,000,000 points. It's clear she wants to be in Class A and has the points to change classes—yet she hasn't done so. Is it because she wants to make Class B the new Class A or is it because she thinks some other class will surpass the current Class A so it's too soon to join?

I'm confused, didn't they say in the episode that you need 20 million points? She is still far away.
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
SkyLETV34 wrote:
Maybe you have the brightness too low? It looked fine to me.

Quote:
I'm glad we've gotten back to that Ichinose subplot about her having over 2,000,000 points. It's clear she wants to be in Class A and has the points to change classes—yet she hasn't done so. Is it because she wants to make Class B the new Class A or is it because she thinks some other class will surpass the current Class A so it's too soon to join?

I'm confused, didn't they say in the episode that you need 20 million points? She is still far away.
You're correct. She's saving points to that goal, but hasn't reached it yet
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Having just re-watched the 1st season before the premier, I appreciate it just continuing on as if there hasn't been 5 years between them lol

This event wasn't very interesting, but at least the characters were Smile

I thought that shy girl going from a light tap to a savagely beating quite fast. Guessing she hasn't had it easy either, but still...

I agree the scar scene was quite dark, but I didn't have an issue seeing it either.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:55 am Reply with quote
The rules explanation in episode 1 and the results in episode 3 don't add up.

Case 1: 0 CPt
Case 2: 0 CPt
Case 3: Traitor's Class +50 CPt
Case 4: Traitor's Class -50 CPt, VIP's Class +50 CPt, Sum 0 CPt

The sum of class point changes in any case is either 0 (Cases 1, 2, 4) or +50 (Case 3). According to the email, there were three groups that resulted in case 3 and two groups that resulted in case 4, so the expected sum of all classes is +150 CPt, but the actual sum is -50 CPt.

Either there are hidden rules in play, the rules were explained incorrectly, or the results email is incorrect.

I also don't understand how Horikita was surprised that Ryūen knew the VIP's identity even though Earth Group resulted in Case 1 (everyone gave the correct answer).
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a result, Sudo is able to trick him into revealing more than he intended about his actual physical strength, as evidenced by Sudo's sly smile after the fact.

Good catch. I thought that's just the scale Sudo is on, but I suppose he could have been one step ahead.

Earth group ended up with case 1, so is Kushida a traitor because she didn't keep the secret and go for a personal (and class) victory and instead went for the mutual victory of case 1?
クズオタク

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
As a result, Sudo is able to trick him into revealing more than he intended about his actual physical strength, as evidenced by Sudo's sly smile after the fact.

Good catch. I thought that's just the scale Sudo is on, but I suppose he could have been one step ahead.

Earth group ended up with case 1, so is Kushida a traitor because she didn't keep the secret and go for a personal (and class) victory and instead went for the mutual victory of case 1?

I'm saying this because it probably won't come back up in the anime.
About Sudou spoiler[ he just didn't know the average, as a person who has been above average in physical abilities for a long time, and his disinterest in people weaker than him in that area, he just guessed when kiyotaka asked. This part was pretty funny in the light novel if I remember correctly, they just played it straight in the anime for some reason.][/code]
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:03 pm Reply with quote
クズオタク wrote:

I'm saying this because it probably won't come back up in the anime.
About Sudou spoiler[ he just didn't know the average, as a person who has been above average in physical abilities for a long time, and his disinterest in people weaker than him in that area, he just guessed when kiyotaka asked. This part was pretty funny in the light novel if I remember correctly, they just played it straight in the anime for some reason.][/code]

spoiler[That's what I figured.] Thanks for the clarification Smile
Telu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

I was going to give it a second chance, as I thought I had been too hard on the first chapter, but, episode 5 is total crap.
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:55 am Reply with quote
They absolutly butchered this story arc. All of the points brought up in the review make more sense in the Ln but they ripped out all of the character moments and development. What were left is the bare minimal content to have some understanding of the plot. It's like they're adapting a CotE Wikipedia article instead of the actual novel. I know that you can only show so much in an adaptation, but they botched this one pretty bad.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:23 am Reply with quote
Kushida led Suzune straight into Ryuen's trap, from physically taking her to him to asking Ryuen what they could possibly do to make up for the C girl's injury, giving him the perfect opening for his blackmail. There's no way in hell that she's not working against Suzune, if not the whole class.
proper1420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kushida actually betraying the class makes no sense from what we know about her so far, and Ayanokoji's “proof” is garbage (and likely a lie he crafted). I mean, they just stated last episode that there was a pattern to who was chosen as the VIP. Ryuen didn't need Kushida's help to figure out the pattern—he just needed enough traitors from across all the groups to make an educated guess. He didn't even need to know a single Class-D traitor. In fact, I'd buy Hirata as a traitor before Kushida. Her goal is to be the most popular girl in class—being a traitor in no way helps her achieve that.

Not to dismiss the possibility that Ayanokoji is framing Kushida as a traitor, but saying that Kushida betraying the class makes no sense is blinkered. In S1E3, Horikita getting praised by some classmates was enough to make Kushida drop her cheerful mask and expose a nasty resentment that she directed specifically at Horikita. She also went to an extreme (threatening Ayanokoji with a false charge of sexual assault) to keep that secret. In S1E12 Horikita was praised by the entire class, which prompted Kushida to again say that she hates Horikita. ("Horikita-san sure is popular, huh?... I really do hate her.") If we extrapolate Kushida's goal to be the most popular girl in class into an obsession, does it really make no sense to suppose that she'd go to an extreme to discredit Horikita? (Ryuen's statement in front of other class D students in S2E3 that Horikita revealed to him that Kushida was Earth's VIP seems like an attempt to harm Horikita's reputation among her classmates. I wonder if Hirata's statement to Horikita at the beginning of S2E4, "There'd be no way to confirm the rule just from knowing your own class's VIPs," was a pointed one.)

And of course there's the sound like that of the closing door after Kushida ran into Ayanokoji's chest in S2E2, suggesting that what she was really doing was trying to keep him from noticing someone else's presence.
Telu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Bro, Lerche is not even trying...

About the current events from episode 6, there's no point trying to explain what happened.

The Anime is doing a shit job, so, it is what it is.

Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:55 am Reply with quote
Episode Review wrote:
• Class-D seemed surprisingly okay with being last place despite the punishments that come with it.

At least they salvaged the Red Team vs White Team competition, saving them 100 CPt. If the rules in ep 4 and the results in ep 6 are correct (and I do have some doubts; see my previous post), the change in class standings are as follows:

1-A: Red (0), 3rd (-50); Total -50 CPt
1-B: White (-100), 1st (+50); Total -50 CPt
1-C: White (-100), 2nd (0); Total -100 CPt
1-D: Red (0), 4th (-100); Total -100 CPt

In the end, class 1-D did lose ground to 1-A and 1-B, but it could've been a lot worse.

Episode Review wrote:
• I wonder if Class-C actually has a traitor. I mean, it's not that hard to simply bug their classroom.

• If the Class-C traitor turns out to be Mio—i.e., the most likely person to be the traitor—I'm going to be even more disappointed.

Another possibility might be the girls bullying Karuizawa. Did Ayanokōji get something in return for luring Karuizawa?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2