• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your favorite anime/Japanese music and why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:43 am Reply with quote
Recently, I've been listening to a lot of old-school artists such as Pink Lady, Chisato Moritaka, Mari Hamada, and Candies. As for newer stuff, I follow mainly Aimer and Wagakki Band.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Professor Nihil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:58 pm Reply with quote
As cliche though it may be, Devilman Crybaby is one of my favorites.

I really like retro-wave and dark wave and Crybaby has a great soundscape in addition to the dark wave feel.

I also listen to PSG Panty Stocking Garterbelt related music and the music from the Madoka Magicka series before the side story.

I like Myth & Roid and Kalafina and pretty much any soundtrack with them on it gets me listening.

I make my own music (not a plug) so listen for and enjoy different things than most people tend to.

Lately the music from Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja has been stuck in my head and I like it, but those familiar with these soundtracks will note how similar they are to one another.

Honestly mentioning all of the anime songs and soundtracks I like would take more time than I am prepared to devote to the topic so I'll stop here.
Nekomo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Right now I am listening to Yogee New Waves and Nujabes.

When it comes to Yogee News Waves I'm listening to: To the Moon and Can You Feel It.
And the songs by Nujabes are: All the Luv (sic) songs featuring Shing02 and the whole Modal Soul album specificialy "Reflection Eternal" and "Ordinary Joy" featuring Terry Callier.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
I'm rewatching Made in Abyss and listening to Kevin Penkin's extraordinary score while driving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYZkvXjsKJM. His OP for the first season manages to encompass four moods in 1:30. Remarkable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91G8m9uM_0

One thing I've noticed is Penkin's use of varied instrumentation, a feature that drew me to Saito Tsuneyoshi's score for Dennou Coil. Rarely hear a wind quintet in an anime score. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcKKu8ByKSY&list=PLEqRKwdf5A2Pg55Jr-zO9xLeQfbicWIXP&index=6

Both these examples are pretty Western, but I like scores with stronger roots in classical Japanese music, too. Kawai Kenji did a masterful job integrating Asian themes within a orchestral setting in his score for Seirei no Moribito. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqKYmiZz8AU&list=PLB407CD879B0713E0
CodyBrannon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I just love Wagakki Band. Everything is very simple - they are just space! This is Japanese Folk Metal with live Japanese folk instruments. During their existence, they managed to record many anime soundtracks, openings, endings, as well as record songs with world-famous rockers. But don't forget about their covers of Hatsune Miku, which sound better than the original (and this happens very rarely!). I advise you to start your acquaintance with them by watching their live performance. You will be simply shocked!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5