• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III, Cat's Eye Get CG Crossover Anime in 2023

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I’m not really familiar with Cat’s Eye, but I love Lupin. I think I’d probably rather have another Koike movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Turro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:41 pm Reply with quote
More Lupin is always good news.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Wonder who will voice the older sister Rui since Toshiko Fujita passed years back and Toda voiced her in the last City Hunter movie.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I guess City Hunter takes place in the same universe as Detective Conan now.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Considering probably the best part of Part III was its wild animation, it is sort of painful Pink Jacket's comeback is in stiff CGI.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I guess that just goes to show how lucky we were to get The First

Cool crossover though
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a fun idea. The CGI quality is a big disappointment from the start, but I'll still check it out. I'm always for more Pink Jacket!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, this was unexpected.

I'm happy to get more Lupin and even happier to see more Cat's Eye...but I wish this wasn't CG. Especially for how stiff it looks.

Also I just find it funny how the Kisugi sisters are now wearing actual catsuits instead of the gymnastic leotards of their heyday.

I wonder if they'll dub it. The main Lupin cast is LA but the Kisugi sisters' English VA's in the City Hunter movie have been in LA productions.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:12 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Considering probably the best part of Part III was its wild animation, it is sort of painful Pink Jacket's comeback is in stiff CGI.

Would you rather its comeback be with the equally rough animation seen in Part 6? TMS is struggling in the current anime production climate, and this is hopefully a way to help with that.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:04 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I wonder if they'll dub it. The main Lupin cast is LA but the Kisugi sisters' English VA's in the City Hunter movie have been in LA productions.

Considering it's a new entry, TMS USA most likely will.

As for the Kisugis, Dawn Bennett moved to LA 3 years ago so she's probably safe as Rui.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:43 am Reply with quote
I've never seen Cat's Eye and am only vaguely familiar with it, but I'm still excited because Pink Jacket is back, baby!
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:44 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I guess City Hunter takes place in the same universe as Detective Conan now.

Which means it also takes place in the same universe as Magic Kaito.
I wouldn't mind a City Hunter X Kaito Kid crossover.
Excoman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:20 am Reply with quote
Crossover doesn't mean a shared universe. Rolling Eyes
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:58 am Reply with quote
Nice! Always excited to see more Cat's Eye and Hojo characters (manga publishers take note.)
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:41 am Reply with quote
I can kinda agree with the idea that cross over doesn't mean shared universe but at the same time it can. Here is the thing though. L3 x CE cross over takes place in the 80's, Detective Conan CLEARLY takes place later than that, around the end of the 90's or early 2000's I think, yet Lupin doesn't look like he's aged, nor does Fujiko, despite both being smokers and that ages ya further. (And I need to point out Fujiko was very interested in Conan due to the aging reversal she found out about him, despite still looking young when they did their cross over). However, despite this time period discrepancy, I WILL also point out the time paradox within Detective Conan itself. Flip phones, old PCs and other old tech when it started, slowly phased out for smart phones, laptops and other new tech. (Not to mention likely new Scientific methods to determine who a culprit is) and ofc, the kicker? Its hard to say for sure how much time has actually passed... in some cases we have had 2 Holidays come, u'd THINK that'd meant its been 2 years, yet Conan and co haven't aged much... (The art style change makes em look older but they aren't older) Yet iirc, a recent ep said its been 8 months since Conan was shrunk down by the Black Organization. Contradiction much? 2 years yet its been 8 months... vastly superior tech in such a short time frame and better methods to catch culprits... all in such a short time... This is saying NOTHING about Magic Kaito too cus that series IS connected to Detective Conan, so much so that Kid is basically both a Magic Kaito char AND a Detective Conan char at the same time, yet everyone in that series ALSO hasn't aged.

So what am I getting at here? The point is, its fine if someone wants to believe certain series that cross over with Lupin, Conan, Magic Kaito etc. share the same timeline, though sadly there are discrepancies in time as I've pointed out, but its fine to believe they share the same world/universe.

Anyway, hopefully this leads to a remake with new animation for Cat's Eye. Kinda weird this gets a cross over with Lupin now, you'd think this woulda happened like 32 years ago at the latest haha but yeah, both share a similar theme, better late than never for the cross over as the saying goes. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2